Radio Shack vs VZW

carlos31820

Sep 6, 2010
Visit site
About to pick up a Galaxy S3 and Radio Shack is selling it for $149 vs $199 at VZW. I realize that most 3rd party vendors have terms in addition to Verizon's 2 year contract extension (180 days service, 180 days no change to cheaper plan, 180 days no phone transfer to another line). That being said, what I'm worried about is something like servicing or warranty issues. Also, am I able to buy the phone at Radio Shack but NOT get their insurance. I'd rather get the Verizon insurance since it covers lost or stolen and I'm reading that Radio Shack's insurance does not.

In other words, let's say I have an issue witht the phone after the 14 day return period, do I have to deal through Radio Shack or Verizon? And if so, what has your experience been like?

carlos31820

Sep 6, 2010
Visit site
16GB unit.

Hmmmm, Verizon live-chat agent is telling me I cannot get Verizon insurance unless I buy the phone through Verizon. I thought I could just call Verizon and add their insurance on the new phone.

Here's the live chat...

Carlos: i have another question regarding radio shack. if i get my upgrade through them, can I opt out of their insurance and call verizon so I can use the Asurion insurance instead? radio shack insurance does not cover lost/stolen so I'd rather have the verizon insurance.
Amber S: When you order through a third party, you are agreeing to their terms and conditions. Some third party dealers have it so that if you change your plan at all in your contract, you would be extending your contract. Some have it so that if you cancel, you pay an early termination fee with them as well as Verizon. Also, you aren't offered Verizon insurance.
Carlos: I understand there are additional obligations through that 3rd party. my question is, can I call verizon the day i get the phone from said 3rd party and sign up for the verizon insurance plan on that 3rd party device?
Amber S: No, you are not offered Verizon insurance, as mentioned above.
Carlos: Verizon won't let me get insurance?
Carlos: I know radio shack wont likely offer it
Amber S: Radio shack does offer their own insurance. If you are ordering through them, you can't get Verizon insurance. We offer insurance when you order the phone through Verizon.
Carlos: ok thank you

Ezduzit

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Yes you are able to get the Verizon insurance through radio shack, it can be added within the 14 day reversal period.

Sent from my busa!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol