JB: Worse Mobile Network Signal after Jelly Bean update?

pcguys

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
I have two S3's on ATT and upgraded one of them to Jelly Bean OTA two days ago.

The JB S3 shows beige color for "Mobile Network Signal" in the settings graph, and in gSam Battery Monitor, Phone Radio shows most of the time in "3 Moderate".

The ICS S3 in the same physical location showed green, and all of its time in "high-5" (best) for signal strength.

Has anyone experienced anything similar?

Overnight, the JB drained 5% an hour whereas the ICS drained 1.5% per hour.

I'll be posting a separate thread with screen shots, but figured I'd ask the narrow question about phone radio signal strength.

Thanks,
Mike

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
I have two S3's on ATT and upgraded one of them to Jelly Bean OTA two days ago.

The JB S3 shows beige color for "Mobile Network Signal" in the settings graph, and in gSam Battery Monitor, Phone Radio shows most of the time in "3 Moderate".

The ICS S3 in the same physical location showed green, and all of its time in "high-5" (best) for signal strength.

Has anyone experienced anything similar?

Overnight, the JB drained 5% an hour whereas the ICS drained 1.5% per hour.

I'll be posting a separate thread with screen shots, but figured I'd ask the narrow question about phone radio signal strength.

Thanks,
Mike

Yes, that is really normal. The APN for Jelly Bean was changed for a much better data service and the ICS APN is for much better phone service.

You can do a simple thing if you start having issues with calls: Copy the info from the ICS APN and add a second APN to your phone that is the ICS APN.

pcguys

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
Thanks Kelly, you really know your stuff !!

I haven't noticed any issues with calls.

When I noticed the worse battery performance and noticed the grey instead of green, I thought maybe that was related.

I guess not.

Mike

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Nah...some of this I've been through a month ago or have watched others. Now when it comes to ROMs and rooting, I'm in the dark there..don't do rooting lol.

I don't believe in the battery savers, etc, at all nor some of the other type apps. I believe in them for diagnosing and then removing them, but not keeping them on the phone. 100 people will disagree with me, but I'm just going by my experience and things I have learned along the way. They tend to use what you are trying to get under control, battery usage, if you keep them on your phone running all the time. :)

Let's look at your battery and see how it is actually doing. Get it charged up, take a screenshot when it is first on battery and then before you recharge it, take a screenshot, let's see how it did. Also, that last screenshot, get a screenshot of where you see the mobile network signal in the battery summary..want a pic of that at the end of the day also.