Hack my power drain post jelly bean please

pcguys

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
Even over night, it's draining 5 percent an hour. Before jelly bean it would drain about 1 or 1.5 percent an hour.

Please help!

Thanks,
Mike

5eqate4a.jpg

mery9eve.jpg

esuhugur.jpg

byzamyty.jpg

evejegyn.jpg

u4evupen.jpg

---Sent from the most advanced android mobile super-computer on the planet: the Samsung Galaxy S3 on AT&T, featuring simultaneous voice & data and speedy 4G!!!

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
One thing..your LTE signal..2 and 3 bars for it. One thing you might want to try is disabling LTE and see if that helps, just to try it.

I see you haven't rebooted or pulled the battery. Pull the battery for 120 seconds and see if that helps. With AT&T many of us have experienced some issues in LTE areas, off and on..but what we had was a huge plummet. I only had it once, I went from 100% battery to 10% in 6.5 hours, while I was asleep.

You have used it 12 hours, got 23% left and looks like many of those apps have sync options and updating options. I don't sync or update anything but my google account. I have far less of those type apps running than you do and I get about 18 hours and a heavy days use, I get about 15 hours.

KreepyKen

Just a cool guy
Jul 17, 2011
Visit site
Your screen is the #1 drain, but it wasn't on that much over that 12-hour span of time. Do you have the brightness at 100%? This isn't the plummet as the drain seems pretty uniform. Must be a combination of LTE high drain rates plus a low signal. I notice a few times during that span that your cell service cut out (or was too weak to get picked up by your phone). If the signal fluctuates a lot where you are, and disappears or gets very weak, that will destroy your battery life. The only problem with that theory is that "Cell Standby" would be way higher than 7%. So I'm not sure that's the problem either.

First, just try rebooting the phone before you go to bed and see if that helps. Could be a rogue process that would be cleared up via reboot.

If not, if you have wifi in the house, turn it on and connect for one night and see if that makes a difference. If it does, then it's an effect of the weak signal you're getting.

If not, you might have a bad battery or a lemon phone. You can probably get a replacement battery from your carrier and test it. If it is still draining really fast, it could just be a hardware problem with the phone.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Your screen is the #1 drain, but it wasn't on that much over that 12-hour span of time. Do you have the brightness at 100%? This isn't the plummet as the drain seems pretty uniform. Must be a combination of LTE high drain rates plus a low signal. I notice a few times during that span that your cell service cut out (or was too weak to get picked up by your phone). If the signal fluctuates a lot where you are, and disappears or gets very weak, that will destroy your battery life. The only problem with that theory is that "Cell Standby" would be way higher than 7%. So I'm not sure that's the problem either.

First, just try rebooting the phone before you go to bed and see if that helps. Could be a rogue process that would be cleared up via reboot.

If not, if you have wifi in the house, turn it on and connect for one night and see if that makes a difference. If it does, then it's an effect of the weak signal you're getting.

If not, you might have a bad battery or a lemon phone. You can probably get a replacement battery from your carrier and test it. If it is still draining really fast, it could just be a hardware problem with the phone.

But do you think his battery really looks bad?

KreepyKen

Just a cool guy
Jul 17, 2011
Visit site

Well, it's not awful, but it's not awesome, either. That's about a 6% drain per hour. He reports that his drainage increased by 2 or 3 times, though, so I was just addressing possibilities for the change.

I generally get about 2.5% drain per hour when I'm at work (with wifi on). After upgrading to JB, that jumped up to 5% or 6% an hour. It sill got me through the day just fine, but I was kind of OCD about it and it really bothered me that upgrading the phone led to worse battery life. I did a factory reset and my battery usage is back where it was originally...around 2.5% with light to moderate use.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

Depends on usage. I know ATT phones (some) have the "plummit" when LTE is on.. There is a huge thread on it. So maybe as you said disabling that could help.

This is mine.. Which is normal for weekends since I got Wifi at home and am not on mobile as much.

Sent from my Sprint S3 using AC forums

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1358669782160.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1358669782160.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 24

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Well, it's not awful, but it's not awesome, either. That's about a 6% drain per hour. He reports that his drainage increased by 2 or 3 times, though, so I was just addressing possibilities for the change.

I generally get about 2.5% drain per hour when I'm at work (with wifi on). After upgrading to JB, that jumped up to 5% or 6% an hour. It sill got me through the day just fine, but I was kind of OCD about it and it really bothered me that upgrading the phone led to worse battery life. I did a factory reset and my battery usage is back where it was originally...around 2.5% with light to moderate use.

I never figure the percentage, I just look at the hours and the use. If I get 16-18 hours out of a normal day and that is heavy/moderate use..I'm good. :)

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Depends on usage. I know ATT phones (some) have the "plummit" when LTE is on.. There is a huge thread on it. So maybe as you said disabling that could help.

This is mine.. Which is normal for weekends since I got Wifi at home and am not on mobile as much.

Sent from my Sprint S3 using AC forums

You know..speaking of wifi..I'm thinking something is wrong with my wifi. I've been having the signal issue at my house for about 6 weeks they they have escalated so high up now, that one more step and God will be given the ticket, and they made me exchange my phone when this first started. Well I did and I turned off LTE a lot because of that very issue. Well the other day I was 20 ft from and LTE tower and I had always gotten great speeds there and noticed that Facebook was taking FOREVER to load. Then I didn't see any "LTE" under my 4G on my phone. Back to the device center I went and they popped my SIM in another phone, LTE showed up in the bar. Popped another SIM in my phone, no LTE. So after resets, flash and other things, they gave me a new phone.

Well, I don't use wifi often and my nextdoor neighbor and I share the internet. I have a laptop, so I do the wireless and she is hardwired with her desktop, so the router is at her home. Our houses are close together, so I pick up signal without a problem. Now I tried today to connect my phone and the connection is horrible and most of the time the router doesn't show in range on my list. Also some of the various routers around here that will show up on my computer list as very strong signals, don't show a strong signal at all on my phone wifi. So, I'm thinking there is something wrong with my wifi. Guess I'm gonna go outside tomorrow and see how the signal is and then see how the signal is in her house. Also, I know for a fact, that very few of the numerous networks that showed up on my other two phones, show up on this one. Don't know of any way to "test my wifi strength" at all.

It's really making me mad, because 611 MADE me switch out my first phone before they would do a network ticket, even though it wasn't just my phone with the problem. If they have to switch this one out, it will be my 4th phone in 2 months..ALMOST, not quite 2 months, and the first one worked just fine, not a problem with my phone. I'm really tired of setting up my phone over and over, seriously. At least they gave me a $500 "courtesy credit" for all the crap with this. I wish I could just fix this wifi at this point and not switch my phone out.

I know this was so off subject, but I just found out about the wifi and now I'm not a happy camper lol.

pcguys

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
Thanks everyone.

Having read all the comments, it occurs to me that I should compare the battery drain when on WIFI vs. LTE. My 5% overnight figure was WiFI I believe.

I just shutdown and pulled the battery, topped off the charge and will re-try the test.

Thx
Mike

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Thanks everyone.

Having read all the comments, it occurs to me that I should compare the battery drain when on WIFI vs. LTE. My 5% overnight figure was WiFI I believe.

I just shutdown and pulled the battery, topped off the charge and will re-try the test.

Thx
Mike

I wanted to check a couple of things on mine, to see about the deep sleep, etc..I installed the Better Battery app, paid version to do this. I had something waking up my phone off and on and couldn't figure out what it was. This told me what it was and I went deeper in the settings of the app and found out that yes, there was a deep setting that was making this app update every 30 mins. I also have one that is updating about every 10 minutes, but will go to every minute when triggered by an event, but it is a severe weather radio and alarm and I live in tornado area, so it needs to do that. I really liked that app, made it very, very easy for me to pinpoint down what I had been looking for about 1.5 weeks now. I put it on and charged up the phone and then checked what was going on while my phone was asleep. I had about 1% battery loss in 6 hours.

pcguys

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
1 percent in 6 hours? That's amazing! Does the app you mentioned give more information than G Sam battery monitor which produced the screenshots in my original post?

Mike

---Sent from the most advanced android mobile super-computer on the planet: the Samsung Galaxy S3 on AT&T, featuring simultaneous voice & data and speedy 4G!!!

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
1 percent in 6 hours? That's amazing! Does the app you mentioned give more information than G Sam battery monitor which produced the screenshots in my original post?

Mike

Yes it really does I think, because there are so many different areas you can look at with it.

MrDoh

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
You know..speaking of wifi..I'm thinking something is wrong with my wifi. I've been having the signal issue at my house for about 6 weeks they they have escalated so high up now, that one more step and God will be given the ticket, and they made me exchange my phone when this first started. Well I did and I turned off LTE a lot because of that very issue. Well the other day I was 20 ft from and LTE tower and I had always gotten great speeds there and noticed that Facebook was taking FOREVER to load. Then I didn't see any "LTE" under my 4G on my phone. Back to the device center I went and they popped my SIM in another phone, LTE showed up in the bar. Popped another SIM in my phone, no LTE. So after resets, flash and other things, they gave me a new phone.

Well, I don't use wifi often and my nextdoor neighbor and I share the internet. I have a laptop, so I do the wireless and she is hardwired with her desktop, so the router is at her home. Our houses are close together, so I pick up signal without a problem. Now I tried today to connect my phone and the connection is horrible and most of the time the router doesn't show in range on my list. Also some of the various routers around here that will show up on my computer list as very strong signals, don't show a strong signal at all on my phone wifi. So, I'm thinking there is something wrong with my wifi. Guess I'm gonna go outside tomorrow and see how the signal is and then see how the signal is in her house. Also, I know for a fact, that very few of the numerous networks that showed up on my other two phones, show up on this one. Don't know of any way to "test my wifi strength" at all.

It's really making me mad, because 611 MADE me switch out my first phone before they would do a network ticket, even though it wasn't just my phone with the problem. If they have to switch this one out, it will be my 4th phone in 2 months..ALMOST, not quite 2 months, and the first one worked just fine, not a problem with my phone. I'm really tired of setting up my phone over and over, seriously. At least they gave me a $500 "courtesy credit" for all the crap with this. I wish I could just fix this wifi at this point and not switch my phone out.

I know this was so off subject, but I just found out about the wifi and now I'm not a happy camper lol.

I think that the first thing that I'd do for your problem is to get your neighbor to reset their cable/dsl modem after turning off the router. Then let the modem come up, and when it's fully up, turn on the router and let it come up. And see where you stand at that point. I just did this today, helped me a lot, can't hurt if everything's working. If that doesn't help, you can go from there in troubleshooting. I've had wireless routers just stop doing wireless, they can get flaky over time.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Is this the app you suggest?

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...com.asksven.betterbatterystats&token=Tvhq4nv0

Yup, that's it!

I think that the first thing that I'd do for your problem is to get your neighbor to reset their cable/dsl modem after turning off the router. Then let the modem come up, and when it's fully up, turn on the router and let it come up. And see where you stand at that point. I just did this today, helped me a lot, can't hurt if everything's working. If that doesn't help, you can go from there in troubleshooting. I've had wireless routers just stop doing wireless, they can get flaky over time.

Oh we've done that, but it's not just that one. I used to see about 10 networks all around listed and now I only see about two and their signals are really low.

BUT, I got it taken care of tonight, I called, they only agreed to do another warranty exchange. So I told AT&T I had enough and I was about to yank everything from them and they popped me right over to the retention department and they are mailing me out a NIB complete phone, like a brand new order, with everything and I don't even have to return this one.

pcguys

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
Btw, just charged up to 100% and turned on phone, am running on wifi. 45 minutes after powering up, I'm down 3% and media has consumed 5 minutes of CPU .

What the heck is media doing?

Thanks for any ideas,

Mike

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Is this the app you suggest?

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...com.asksven.betterbatterystats&token=A3C6zVhj

Btw, just charged up to 100% and turned on phone, am running on wifi. 45 minutes after powering up, I'm down 3% and media has consumed 5 minutes of CPU .

What the heck is media doing?

Thanks for any ideas,

Mike

That media is a bit of a bug sometimes. Every once in a while I get that too. Pull the battery, let it sit for 120 seconds, then turn it back on, throw the charger on it again to get it up to 100 and see if the media stopped. Either it settled down for me or I finally disabled something..as a "computer person" something running like that using resources, that I'm not needing, bugs me. I'm sure you understand lol