I've had a S3 for about a week now, and have a few questions

Sjurdur

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
Hey, I bought a Galaxy S3 about a week ago, and so far I like most of the things about it, but there are a few things, where I don't know if there is something wrong with my device, or if it is actually normal.

1. When I am inside of an app, and I press the "minimize button" (not sure what it's called), is it normal that is takes a while to minimize / get back to the home screen? Usually it takes about 1 second, but sometimes it takes more like 3 seconds, and then when it finally minimizes, it has to load all the widgets and shortcuts on the home screen, which takes another second (This only happens every now and then).

2. This is pretty much the same as the first one, except when the phone is locked and the screen is turned off, and I press a button, it takes 1-2 seconds until it responds and the screen turns on. Is that normal? And is there no way, that I can make it, so that the screen turns on instantaneously? (Or at least close to that)

3. I am from the Faroe Islands, and Play Store isn't supported here, in other words, I cannot buy apps from the store, but I can download the free ones. But I've read, that if I root my phone, I can change the region of the phone, and then buy apps from the Play Store. Now would this be illegal to do?

4. And if I do root the phone, what would be the pros and cons?

(Edit:) 5. I really like the look of the phone, and all the cases I've seen so far, look like they would ruin the nice look that the phone has. So would it be stupid for me, to not get a case for the phone?

I think I had some more questions, but I forget them :p But I'll ask them when I remember. :)

Thanks in advance. Hopefully someone can answer. :)

EvilMonkey

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
I don't think 1 and 2 are normal. Mine responds instantly (or near-instantly). I wonder if you have something else running that's eating up resources.

AFAIK, nothing is illegal about 3 (someone can pipe in if I'm unaware of some law or something).

Pros of rooting include (among other things), improved ability to completely backup everything on your phone, the ability to use certain apps (such as an ad-blocker), ability to install custom ROMs (which means you can run Touchwiz, which is what the phone comes with, or install something else such as regular (or vanilla) Android or a bunch of other variations).

Cons are that it typically voids your warranty (but you can always unroot) and you do run a risk of bricking your phone, although it's pretty hard to brick it....not sure I've ever heard of anyone actually bricking it (sometimes people think they bricked it but it seems they usually can fix it). It's really not that hard, but it's a lot of info to take in and sort through and it all sounds very intimidating if you've never done it before.

As for a case I don't use one. But it's a gamble you're taking. I too like the look of the phone and the case was too hard to deal with (taking it off to put it in my car dock, etc), so I just go "naked" and hope it works out for me.

kj11

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
The only thing I think I can really answer for you is the lag getting to the homescreen. By default, double tapping the home button launches S voice. When you push the button its like the phone is waiting to see if you are going to push it again to launch S voice. To turn this off, launch S voice, push the menu button to get into the settings, and uncheck "open via the home key." Should kill that little lag you're getting.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
w8wca