Samsung Galaxy S3: WiFi connection problems since firmware upgrade

cenglert378

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
Hi there since the last firmware upgrade (a few weeks back) my phone does not connect to my home wifi network. Other wifi networks work, so might be related to my slightly aged netgear WGR614 v4 that is a 802.11g version. Anyone else encountered that issue or knows how to solve it (apart from upgrading the router....)? Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

winmod21

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Re: Samsung Galaxy S3 wifi connection problems since firmware upgrade

In the past, I've been able to easily remedy any such issues as you're now having, by calling my internet provider? tech support. You can also access your router & WiFi settings, where you can run a diagnostic test, etc., by typing the default gateway address ? for your router IP ? into your browsers address bar. That's what your providers tech rep. would have you do, then you can see signal strength, connection quality, etc., and run a test, or even boost your WiFi signal strength. Also, in your router & WiFi settings, it will show whether your phone is being recognized, or not.

Nonetheless, for your phone to suddenly not be connecting to your WiFi, since you did the firmware upgrade, it sounds more like a 'Settings' issue with your phone. Maybe double-check your Settings > WiFi ?

Jim_in_VA

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site

try turning off "avoid poor connections" in the advanced wifi settings

lenelow

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site

im having the same issue... however i could access my home wifi but not my work place.. it used to be ok but after upgrading i no longer able to log in wifi at work. anyone can help?

Tom Evans

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site

Hi, i'm having the same issue, used to have an S2 no problem, new S3 just keeps trying.........i'm going to throw it at the wall in a minute aaaah!!!

Daniel Redman1

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site

Im unsure if this is any help but I have encountered this just now. I have a dual band router though and I forced my phone to look at the 5ghz network and it's fine. It seems like it just cannot connect to the 2.4ghz one. I also could not connect to my gfs router yesterday, which I'm pretty sure is 2.4ghz also, if I'm right then this is going to be a huge inconvenience. Can anyone confirm similar symptoms?

Ann Jandia

Apr 4, 2013
Visit site

This seems to be a jellybean issue. Every device in my house from Roku to four laptops and even my BluRay work on my router/modem combo. Every phone that was updated to jb now won't connect to wifi even though the connection is excellent in the wifi menu. I've done all the "tricks" posted by the users in these forums and the posters all seem to be lacking the general knowledge to fix this issue. Sometimes it will connect but loses the signal again almost immediately or it will say it's connected but it's not, not really. If you turn of your 4g the wifi won't connect to anything. Beware those that think they are connected.

*forgetting and re-searching brings up the same issue
*changing the frequency....nope (only intermittent connection)
*installing third party signal search apps, no
*reboot, taking battery out, reset on phone...no, no, no
*reset modem, no
*reset router, no
*setting the phone to only connect to good signals...well, my signal strength is at full so that doesn't work because that's not the problem. (whoever posted this fix was a little wacky and didn't read the issue)
*Changing the security on my router, no

I am not inexperienced when dealing with wifi or any other type of data connections. I have been repairing connections professionally for years and I'll tell you that this IS a jellybean issue. Maybe if enough of us complain the problem will get fixed. Otherwise our sp's are just collecting more $$ every time we go over our data plan limits (for those of us who have non-unlimited data plans). Mine is 2Gigs and I rely on my wifi not to put me over the limit. My daughter and husband have both gone over their limits since we all do a lot of work from our phones.

If anyone has a real fix please feel free to post it. If anyone hears from ATT or the other providers who are currently in active denial about it I'd like to hear from you too.

AJ

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site

It may well be a Jellybean issue, but it's not a common one or you'd see the forums overflowing with complaints. I've had no issues with WiFi on JB. I have both 802.11G and 802.11N routers at home, and an N router at work, and my phone connects to all of them.

Is your SSID hidden? If so, try making it visible and see what happens.

Ann Jandia

Apr 4, 2013
Visit site

No, it's not hidden. Thanks for your input though. It seems to be an issue with only certain routers. There are thousands of complaints on the internet specifically after the JB update. I just contacted D-Link and they verified an overwhelming number of support issues but it's not their problem. We'll see what the coming days bring. The JB rollout has been a bit slow, slower than ICS was. I'm thinking issues like this could be the reason.

Emeka Ene

Apr 19, 2013
Visit site

Hi, I'm having this same problem. I can connect to my home network but my work network isn't even showing up on the available Wi-Fi screen, on my S3. I know that the Wi-Fi is still working correctly because other phones can find it (Non-S3's). This is especially inconvenient because I work in an area with no cell phone reception for T-mobile. Does anyone have an update for this thread yet? I've tried everything above with no luck so far.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site

Is the SSID hidden on your work WiFi? If so, you'll have to tap the "Add Wi-Fi network" button and manually enter all the relevant info (SSID, security type, password). Once you've done that once, and saved the settings, the phone should connect in the future.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site

Ann,
I looked through the list of things that you've tried but couldn't tell if you had already tried a Factory Reset. If you haven't, I'd recommend that. The upgrade to Jelly Bean seems to have buggered up something, but in all likelihood a Factory Reset will take care of it.
Of course, be sure to save/backup anything that you care about prior to that - if you need suggestions on apps to make your Factory Reset experience less painful just let us know.
I'm running 4.1.2 with no WiFi connection issues.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk 2

Emeka Ene

Apr 19, 2013
Visit site

I did a factory reset and the Wi-Fi network that I need still didn't come up.

The SSID isn't hidden. I used the Wi-Fi with this phone for over 7 months with no issues and then it couldn't find it all of a sudden 1 week ago. I have contacted IT at my workplace to troubleshoot the router, and I have used other peoples phones to find and connect to the network. So that isn't the issue.

cwfullcircle

May 4, 2013
Visit site

Had the same issue after doing a factory reset some time after receiving the jellybean update. I resolved my wifi connection by clearing the system cache, then a factory reset, then immediately clearing the system cache again after the system was up. In addition, I allowed ssid to broadcast while setting up the new wifi connection. To clear the system cache: Power off the phone, hold down the volume+home key+power simultaneously. When the boot screen comes up and it indicates recovery (top left and very small), release the buttons. Use the volume key to scroll to "wipe cache", then using the power key (or home key) select to wipe cache. Boot system. Hope this helps you.

ljennette

May 6, 2013
Visit site

You are exactly correct it is a Jelly Bean issue!! I got my S3 a month ago and it was an ice cream sandwich once it updated to Jelly Bean I get NO service pretty much anywhere. 2 bars is basically the most I get. I can't connect to my Wifi at my home unless I am very close to it. And this is a HUGE issue there are tons of forums about it. They had better fix this I pay way too much to not be able to use my phone! I hope everyone calls on this issue instead of complaining on here about it. I will call everyday until something happens. I love this phone and it worked perfectly before the update. I want that back!!!

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site

ljennette, have you tried a factory reset? There are literally millions of us using Jellybean without any issues with connectivity on either WiFi or cellular.

Damir Anicic

May 7, 2013
Visit site

Millions -1.
I have the same problem, too. With two S3 phones.
WiFi shows connected (never problem connecting).
Signal very good.
On either 2.4 or 5.4 GHz. With 20 or 40 Mhz channels.
On any channel number.
Simply after some time, there is no internet connection any more.
Even (in terminal emulator) ifconfig wlan0 and ip route show
show that everything is OK.
But not even ping works.

And yes, it is after I installed JB update.

SAMSUNG - do something about it.

David Tharpe

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site

Yep, my Verizon provider tells me it's my comcast connection, and that I need to call my cable provider out to fix the problem. I'm able to connect at church and work but not at home.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site

If you can connect to other WiFi APs, I would tend to agree the problem is with the router at home. If you haven't already, delete the WiFi setup for that router from your phone. Reboot the router and reboot the phone. Then recreate that WiFi setup on your phone.

Damir, if you want Samsung to solve your problem you're in the wrong place.We're all just owners here, like you. What steps have you taken to try to resolve it? Does this problem occur everywhere, or just on one particular WiFi connection?

stslimited84

May 14, 2013
Visit site

Are there any updates to this issue? My phone suffers from the same problem. I've tried two different routers. I can connect to both the 5 and 2.4 ghz; however my 2.4ghz does not work properly and constantly drops.

Is rooting a solution to this? The problem is very aggravating as I do not get good 5 ghz coverage in my bed room and the 2.4, while good coverage, suffers from the above.

ARGH!