Blackberry Z10 vs. Samsung Galaxy S3

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
(Laughs silently) From what I've seen of blackberry 10. Rim basically took the best features of android and the best of iOS, mashed them together, then called it their own creation.

What a joke!?!

Sent from my SPH-L710

I disagree. I'm sure they took some bits and pieces, but from what i've seen it's entirely different. You can't say an interface that is entirely navigated by gestures has copied on screen nav buttons or pull down notifications. Those two features make the experience completely new. The only aspect that reminded me of something that already exists, is how swiping from left to right opens the hub. Kinda like Apple when it opens the web browser or search or whatever it is.

bearballz72

Jul 1, 2012
Visit site
Nah, I think BB10 has some interesting attributes. But I'm pretty invested in Android right now and it fills my needs for what I need a phone to do.

I think for those who recently jumped from a BB device to an Android or IOS device, it may be more tempting.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

Rodawg71

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site
I don't have an S3, and I may be the only person on the planet who liked the BB Storm, but I'd jump at the chance to go back to BB. Probably just nostalgia...

Ha!!! I remember my "Storm" days....smh. Was rummaging thru my spares bin looking for a USB cable and stumbled upon this relic.

gollum18

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Um wasnt the storm considered a flop? BBS never appealed to me. As a smartphone they were just too clunky for me especially since they had that generic physical keyboard. I had a windows phone with one and for me it made it unusable.

Sent from my SPH-L710

BrockS.

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I plan to snatch one up. I left BB for an iPhone, then Apple for my GSIII a few months ago. I have been chasing the experience my BB gave me before BlackBerry became a complacent manufacturer. I like my GSIII with few exceptions but for what I use it for most, business, nothing has topped my blackberries.

I should note that I do not expect it to compete on the same level as the GSIII with regard to gaming and entertainment but those are more added bonuses to me.
sent via smoke signals

winmod21

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Found this little ? BlackBerry App World said to hawk pirated Android apps? article, somewhat interesting, three weeks ago or so.

Also, last year I remember seeing several very comprehensive & technical graphs that showed how much more secure the BB phones & servers were than any other platform, with Apples' iOS scoring a not-even-close very distant second, followed I think by Windows OS and then of course as the least secure...Android.

But this xda portal article? concerning "The Rootkit Of All Evil - CIQ" ? pretty much, in my mind, blows all that reported Blackberry/RIM server security right out the doors.... and, seems as good a reason as any to root your phone? thus gaining administrative rights ? to root-out junk like CIQ.

Last edited:

Trees

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
Thats not always true at all, at my company especially the older sales force want the largest screen they can get. The issue blackberry is going to have is getting people who have already switched to come back. It's a different situation if you are still running a bold 9700 or a torch because the upgrade might be easy in the sense its a similar platform. Someone like me however who always had a BB in the past moved to a GS3 and I see no advantage to moving back. The specs are good but not great and by the time the phone comes out we will be hearing about the next iphone and GS4, etc.

I do wish Blackberry well and want them to succeed just not sure this phone is going to do it for them.
Unfortunately this is becoming more of a consideration for me.

While we're on the topic of Z10 vs. Galaxy S3, what are the things that Z10 can do better or are unique compared to S3 (non-rooted)? Conversely, what are the things that S3 can do better or are unique compared to Z10?

I should say that having used Storm, Storm 2, and 8630 there are some things that still resonate with me about BlackBerry.

xlDeMoNiClx

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
Found this little ? BlackBerry App World said to hawk pirated Android apps? article, somewhat interesting, three weeks ago or so.

Also, last year I remember seeing several very comprehensive & technical graphs that showed how much more secure the BB phones & servers were than any other platform, with Apples' iOS scoring a not-even-close very distant second, followed I think by Windows OS and then of course as the least secure...Android.

But this xda portal article? concerning "The Rootkit Of All Evil - CIQ" ? pretty much, in my mind, blows all that reported Blackberry/RIM server security right out the doors.

Well let's be honest, everything can be hacked. I remember the war that Sony had with the modding community back during the PSP days.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Android Central Forums

D16RR

Sep 10, 2011
Visit site
Blackberry used to have a pointer. Made selecting text a very easy, one handed operation one could perform while driving. The new devices don't have this. Not going back until they do.

trucky

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
The one thing I haven't seen mentioned anywhere is the licensing cost for companies to get people on a Blackberry server. As I recall it's extremely expensive especially when talking about lots of users. With iPhones, Android and Microsoft using ActiveSync I honestly don't see how Blackberry can hope to get back in the market. ActiveSync has added sufficient security options as far as I know to satisfy most corporations and to my knowledge it's free other than server access and space.

BESx is free...

Wirelessly synchronize Microsoft? Exchange or IBM? Lotus? Domino? with your employees' BlackBerry? smartphones. BlackBerry? Enterprise Server Express provides advanced BlackBerry smartphone business features with no software license fees or additional per user license fees.

Bears

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
You will be happy then, all the android apps work on blackberry already!

They do but not nearly as well as they would on an Android phone. Not to mention the fact that they run on an older version of the android engine. The Verge mentioned this during their video review. Give it a look.

Last edited:

LeastServant

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
I never got into the Blackberry Craze. My first smartphone was a Windows Phone (trophy) and I really like it. I am currently looking to make an upgrade from my 2-year contract to a month to month carrier and possibly the SG3.

Though I would really like to find a way to get a good tablet that can second as my phone so that I can get more from it. Dont know why they havent done this yet...

whymista

Jan 16, 2012
Visit site
I plan to snatch one up. I left BB for an iPhone, then Apple for my GSIII a few months ago. I have been chasing the experience my BB gave me before BlackBerry became a complacent manufacturer. I like my GSIII with few exceptions but for what I use it for most, business, nothing has topped my blackberries.

I should note that I do not expect it to compete on the same level as the GSIII with regard to gaming and entertainment but those are more added bonuses to me.
sent via smoke signals

This is what I think will save them. Most of people who left blackberry did so not so much because we wanted an android but because the OS was absolutely terrible and the screen real estate was non existent. I for one never play games on my photon q. I left bb because the web experience was terrible and the os was terrible. With those fixed and a screen that to me is the perfect size, as long as they didn't lose anything on the battery life and durability I will gladly give up the flashy stuff android does for a secure platform that works well and allows me to do what I most care about on my phone which is messaging, emailing, and doing "important" things the entertainment area they may never be as good as but almost no one who loves BB will care about that.

That and as far as the apps if you've read the reviews all android apps can be ported to their OS. No one starts an app store with as many as iOS and android finally have after years of being around so people saying "Oh they don't have enough apps" apparently don't remember the apple app store or more recently androids app store that didn't have anything at first.

beanctr10

Oct 7, 2012
Visit site
This is what I think will save them. Most of people who left blackberry did so not so much because we wanted an android but because the OS was absolutely terrible and the screen real estate was non existent. I for one never play games on my photon q. I left bb because the web experience was terrible and the os was terrible. With those fixed and a screen that to me is the perfect size, as long as they didn't lose anything on the battery life and durability I will gladly give up the flashy stuff android does for a secure platform that works well and allows me to do what I most care about on my phone which is messaging, emailing, and doing "important" things the entertainment area they may never be as good as but almost no one who loves BB will care about that.

That and as far as the apps if you've read the reviews all android apps can be ported to their OS. No one starts an app store with as many as iOS and android finally have after years of being around so people saying "Oh they don't have enough apps" apparently don't remember the apple app store or more recently androids app store that didn't have anything at first.

+1. I like my GS3 but I too miss the BB experience and BBM especially.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

whymista

Jan 16, 2012
Visit site
+1. I like my GS3 but I too miss the BB experience and BBM especially.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

I do miss BBM. Its odd how over on crackberry I was really into the social side of the forum where as here I don't even venture there let alone consider taking up friends. Plus once you go crackberry nothing else is the same.