Blackberry Z10 vs. Samsung Galaxy S3

pbarch1

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
Back to the OP... yes I would switch back. Ive been a huge advocate of the smartphone. But you know what, I'm really dome with it. I dont want to be that connected anymore. I dont need 200 games and fifteen different browsers. Im looking to go ultra simple. nack to basics. A great phone with great messaging just what blackberry has always done

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

jarrodmeyer

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
It made the interface different and better. Everything antiquated is not bad. Selecting text on a touchscreen using menus and gestures is far inferior to the BB pointing device. It's the only thing I miss from my BB days. Besides, BB has weathered a lot of derision and will see a lot more if they survive.

I agree with you 100%!

I'm enjoying my first foray with Android only now (despite following the OS development with keen anticipation since it's inception in 2008), and that's only because my trusty BB Torch 9800 couldn't survive my operation to replace a cracked screen.

So yes, I love the BB interface and touchpad (I had the very first model touchpad phone, the Curve 8520). I just think that in a device with full touch, the touchpad maybe doesn't find a place anymore. Maybe I'm wrong and maybe having both would be the ultimate. But for me the tradeoff they have made with the Z10 (and BB10 in general) is worth the loss.

Here's looking to the future. :)

Shawn Magm

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Maybe it's just me and maybe it's because we have no kids but there's something about an 8 year old being on his second iPhone and owning an iPad that just makes me cringe... To each is own I guess... Not criticizing by the way, just amazed.

I'm cringing that an 8 y/o has all those idevices at that stage of life.

shaleem

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site
I'm really new to Android. I've had my Samsung Galaxy S3 for 4 days now and I have to admit that I'm impressed. It is a beautiful device. I've been a BlackBerry user for many years and, while I am looking forward to getting my hands on the Z10 when it is released in the States, I am really impressed with my S3. It is taking some time for me to get used to a non-physical keyboard, but I am getting the hang of it. I'll probably be visiting these forums a lot more now in order to learn and get pointers from those of you who are far more knowledgeable than I am about this particular platform. But, so far, I'm loving this device!

D16RR

Sep 10, 2011
Visit site
I still prefer the trackball. Unfortunately I also like cheezy poofs, so the trackpad was not completely unwelcome. Either one kicks full touch right in the fish taco.

I agree with you 100%!

I'm enjoying my first foray with Android only now (despite following the OS development with keen anticipation since it's inception in 2008), and that's only because my trusty BB Torch 9800 couldn't survive my operation to replace a cracked screen.

So yes, I love the BB interface and touchpad (I had the very first model touchpad phone, the Curve 8520). I just think that in a device with full touch, the touchpad maybe doesn't find a place anymore. Maybe I'm wrong and maybe having both would be the ultimate. But for me the tradeoff they have made with the Z10 (and BB10 in general) is worth the loss.

Here's looking to the future. :)

iso99

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
A pretty nice OS but the apps are sooo few. In today's world, software is king. Before I got my Note2, I was choosing between Z10 and GN2. Z10 is a little bit pricier than Note, not better on HW and SW side. Only the OS can impress you. Still early for Z10.

HafeezAkmal

Aug 24, 2012
Visit site
Thats not always true at all, at my company especially the older sales force want the largest screen they can get. The issue blackberry is going to have is getting people who have already switched to come back. It's a different situation if you are still running a bold 9700 or a torch because the upgrade might be easy in the sense its a similar platform. Someone like me however who always had a BB in the past moved to a GS3 and I see no advantage to moving back. The specs are good but not great and by the time the phone comes out we will be hearing about the next iphone and GS4, etc.

I do wish Blackberry well and want them to succeed just not sure this phone is going to do it for them.

hopefully phablets form factor will become mainstream in the near future, so other platforms would consider to come up with one of their own, the least. :cool: if BlackBerry can come up with one, i would consider picking up one. :D

HafeezAkmal

Aug 24, 2012
Visit site
A pretty nice OS but the apps are sooo few. In today's world, software is king. Before I got my Note2, I was choosing between Z10 and GN2. Z10 is a little bit pricier than Note, not better on HW and SW side. Only the OS can impress you. Still early for Z10.

i'm with you, we were in the same boat before.

sad_old_man

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
I'm really new to Android. I've had my Samsung Galaxy S3 for 4 days now and I have to admit that I'm impressed. It is a beautiful device. I've been a BlackBerry user for many years and, while I am looking forward to getting my hands on the Z10 when it is released in the States, I am really impressed with my S3. It is taking some time for me to get used to a non-physical keyboard, but I am getting the hang of it. I'll probably be visiting these forums a lot more now in order to learn and get pointers from those of you who are far more knowledgeable than I am about this particular platform. But, so far, I'm loving this device!

Interesting thread this. I HAVN'T been banished from the BB forum as such, well I have but that doesn't count. I have always had bb in my home, playbook, storm II, torch 9860, latest curve, so it was a natural transition to get the Z10. My family however fell out with BB a while ago and they have the SII, SIII and galaxy tab 10.1s. I must admit that I am more than a little disappointed with my Z10. The bridge facility to my pb has been removed, BIS has been removed, notifications happen after you open the app etc etc. I'm not just saying this because I am on the SIII forum, I'm saying this because it's fact. So the Z10 is now on a level playing field with the SIII and I must admit at present, having them both side by side I would go always for the SIII. Maybe in 18 months to 2 years bb 10 may developed but as most air time providers in the UK are now on 2yr contracts, I wish I had waited!

ShaggyKids

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
I just stopped at my local VZW store to have a look and I like the Z10. I've had Androids (S3 currently) for about the past 3 years (migrated from BB) and I still don't like the Android OS. My S3 doesn't grab me like it does some folks and I have a really hard time believing the best phone on the market thing. If this is the best phone they got a problem. I can most often not access my phone buttons because the phone keeps going black screen on me and it's not the phone. According to the reps I've spoken to it's a known to Samsung S3 issue and I think they've had plenty of time to fix it and haven't.

I agree BB is a different market. I've pretty much always considered Android to be more for entertainment, social this, social that, fun and goodies. I have yet to find a calendar app that does what I want it to do other than the CompanionLink Outlook thingy and I've had soooo many problems syncing my phone it's ridiculous. I don't need a toy, I don't need all the fun stuff, a little is fine and I enjoy what I have but my phone needs to be more a phone and a PDA than anything else and my S3 is just OK at this. I can't rave about it like some folks and I don't need my phone to entertain me except for an occasional game of Wordfeud ;)

I compared the screen size between the two, the Z10 is a bit smaller but I think live-with-able. I do love the bigger screen on the S3 but there doesn't seem to be enough of a difference that the screen size would sway me away from the Z10.

One of my biggest issue is Google-EVERYTHING. I'm sick of Google infiltrated my life. I hate the Google calendar and their task thing sucks. It's still in Beta far as I know. Helllooooo? Could we finish a few thing before we get into other things? They're so busy finding new ways to get into your personal info and hook everything you do up to Google that they drop the ball on stuff in development.

So I may just migrate back to BB sometime in the next year. If I could find an even-up trade or close I might even do that. So, I'm going to poke around.

The WheelMan

Apr 2, 2013
Visit site
...If this is the best phone they got a problem. I can most often not access my phone buttons because the phone keeps going black screen on me and it's not the phone. According to the reps I've spoken to it's a known to Samsung S3 issue and I think they've had plenty of time to fix it and haven't...

I haven't had that problem, and in fact you're the first person I've read anywhere complaining of that problem, so it can't be all that widespread.

I just left BlackBerry (had a Curve 8330, a Bold 9650, and I just left the Torch 9850). I loved BB for the messaging, as I liked to use the phone as my email device of choice, even though I've had an iPad for a couple of years now. I left the Torch because it started lagging really badly, and I think it was because the phone was just too underpowered. What has surprised me is that I find the S3 very good as a messaging device, and typing on its onscreen keyboard might even be better than typing on the Bold's hardware keyboard.

I mean different strokes for different folks and all that, but the S3 is a helluva lot better device than you suggested above, even though it might not be the best for you.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
I just stopped at my local VZW store to have a look and I like the Z10. I've had Androids (S3 currently) for about the past 3 years (migrated from BB) and I still don't like the Android OS. My S3 doesn't grab me like it does some folks and I have a really hard time believing the best phone on the market thing. If this is the best phone they got a problem. I can most often not access my phone buttons because the phone keeps going black screen on me and it's not the phone. According to the reps I've spoken to it's a known to Samsung S3 issue and I think they've had plenty of time to fix it and haven't.

These reps are just trying to get rid of you, or sell you something new. This is NOT a common Samsung issue. It's probably a software issue, and if you want help addressing it we'll be happy to work with you. Unfortunately, carrier reps are some of the least knowledgeable people you'll encounter.

I agree BB is a different market. I've pretty much always considered Android to be more for entertainment, social this, social that, fun and goodies. I have yet to find a calendar app that does what I want it to do other than the CompanionLink Outlook thingy and I've had soooo many problems syncing my phone it's ridiculous. I don't need a toy, I don't need all the fun stuff, a little is fine and I enjoy what I have but my phone needs to be more a phone and a PDA than anything else and my S3 is just OK at this. I can't rave about it like some folks and I don't need my phone to entertain me except for an occasional game of Wordfeud ;)

Well, since you don't say what you want your calendar to do, I can't offer any suggestions, but I sync my work calendar (exchange based) with my GS3 without any issues at all, and there are a number of strong, versatile calendar programs available.

One of my biggest issue is Google-EVERYTHING. I'm sick of Google infiltrated my life. I hate the Google calendar and their task thing sucks. It's still in Beta far as I know. Helllooooo? Could we finish a few thing before we get into other things? They're so busy finding new ways to get into your personal info and hook everything you do up to Google that they drop the ball on stuff in development.

Have to agree that task / to do management isn't all that good. But Google "infiltrating your life"? Not sure what the complaint is there. You don't have to use Google calendar, or Search. About the only thing you need to have is a Google email account, but you don't even need to use it for anything once you've set up your phone.

So I may just migrate back to BB sometime in the next year. If I could find an even-up trade or close I might even do that. So, I'm going to poke around.

Nothing wrong with that. Competition is good for all of us.