GS3 won't charge unless I bend the charger or push really hard

Apav

Jan 7, 2012
Visit site
Hi guys,

So far I have used 3 chargers. A Verizon green 10ft long charger, the charger for my Nexus 7, and a Verizon car charger.

Basically when I plug any of these chargers in it will show it is charging for a split second, then it'll go away. So in order for it to charge, I have to push the charger in really hard, push it down, or bend it to the right. If I bend it to the right, when I let go, it stops charging. Sometimes I can get it at the right angle to keep it there, but I come back later and see that it isn't charging. Also if I push it in really hard, bending it to the right stops charging it.

The Verizon car charger has been the best for me even though it gives me problems, but I use my nexus 7 charger for it most of the time.

This is super annoying, how it's real hard to get it to start charging and even harder to keep it. None of the pins on my chargers look crooked, nor inside my phone. I don't know if there is a fix for this, I might just take it to Verizon.

Anyone with the same problem or know of a fix out there? Thanks!

AxlMyk

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
I'm willing to bet the cable got yanked at one time or another.
The problem is with the phone connection.
That's a $600 phone. Be careful with it.

sledge007

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
I would be taking it back, if it's covered under warranty. I know lots of people out there are worried about getting a refurbed phone as a replacement. Personally I think it's a little silly. I've had a few refurbs, including my current SGS3, and I couldn't tell the difference at all.

Apav

Jan 7, 2012
Visit site
This is a Verizon certified phone. I only got it about a month ago. I'm a little scared to get a replacement. I actually had a Rezound before, and I went through 4 malfunctioning Rezounds and weeks of not having a phone before I called up verizon and they offered to switch my Rezound for a certified S3. It's great in all other ways, that's why I'm afraid to replace it with a phone that has problems with using the phone itself.

Okay, what is going on here. I made the cord tight and angled it to get a charge. It was at 42% last night when I started charging. I got up and the red light was still on, but the phone was still at 42%. It seems only angling to the right will it charge normally.

This is so annoying. So it's the charging port on my phone then? Maybe I should get the manufacturers charger, maybe I'm just using chargers not really compatible with my S3? Because my car charger works as soon as I plug it in. I mean if I turn in my car a lot it will stop charging and I will have to readjust the connection, but it's not nearly as bad as the charger I'm using at home.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
This is a Verizon certified phone. I only got it about a month ago. I'm a little scared to get a replacement. I actually had a Rezound before, and I went through 4 malfunctioning Rezounds and weeks of not having a phone before I called up verizon and they offered to switch my Rezound for a certified S3. It's great in all other ways, that's why I'm afraid to replace it with a phone that has problems with using the phone itself.

Okay, what is going on here. I made the cord tight and angled it to get a charge. It was at 42% last night when I started charging. I got up and the red light was still on, but the phone was still at 42%. It seems only angling to the right will it charge normally.

This is so annoying. So it's the charging port on my phone then? Maybe I should get the manufacturers charger, maybe I'm just using chargers not really compatible with my S3? Because my car charger works as soon as I plug it in. I mean if I turn in my car a lot it will stop charging and I will have to readjust the connection, but it's not nearly as bad as the charger I'm using at home.

The only options are to exchange it or send it to Samsung for repair, there is a manufacturer warranty.

Sent from my AWESOME Note 2

Apav

Jan 7, 2012
Visit site
I don't even know if my phone is still under warranty, or if it even applies to a certified verizon phone. I know Verizon will just want to replace it for me, so I guess Samsung is the way to go, as long as they're giving me my actual phone back and I don't have to wipe the data?

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
The only options are to exchange it or send it to Samsung for repair, there is a manufacturer warranty.

It sounds like a physical problem with the port and it is going to break eventually. I know someone with a pad that does this same thing, the problem is just the same with the manufacturer cord.

sfrrr

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
Is the phone in a case or skin? If so, it's possible that the rubbery connector that contains the metal piece that is the micro usb connector is too thick to stay in the micro usb port. Or that the case 's usb opening doesn't exactly line up with the actual port in the phone. Until a month or so ago, this had never happened to me, but my new cheap cables just use thicker, fatter rubber around their metal usb male parts. (double entendre not intended.)

Sent from my unrooted 32 GB Polish Samsung Galaxy GT I9300 running 4.1.2.

Last edited:

Apav

Jan 7, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for reminding me that. I took the case off, and now bending it to the right or pushing it in hard no longer makes it charge. To make it charge when the case is off, I have to push the connector down when plugged in. Now it's even harder when the case is off.

Apav

Jan 7, 2012
Visit site
I am going to send my device to Samsung to service, but 2 weeks without a phone is harsh :( I just went through that!

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
I don't even know if my phone is still under warranty, or if it even applies to a certified verizon phone. I know Verizon will just want to replace it for me, so I guess Samsung is the way to go, as long as they're giving me my actual phone back and I don't have to wipe the data?

You have a year warranty, call Samsung and ask.

Last edited:

KreepyKen

Just a cool guy
Jul 17, 2011
Visit site
I am going to send my device to Samsung to service, but 2 weeks without a phone is harsh :( I just went through that!

Geez...I'd first bring it to a Verizon store. They may just swap it out with a different phone and you can resume your life the same day. Does Verizon have device centers? AT&T has device centers that take care of this stuff really fast. No point in waiting two weeks when you can potentially get it done immediately.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Geez...I'd first bring it to a Verizon store. They may just swap it out with a different phone and you can resume your life the same day. Does Verizon have device centers? AT&T has device centers that take care of this stuff really fast. No point in waiting two weeks when you can potentially get it done immediately.

Do the Device Centers do physical work like that? I have one closer to me, but never had a physical issue that needed work.

sfrrr

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for reminding me that. I took the case off, and now bending it to the right or pushing it in hard no longer makes it charge. To make it charge when the case is off, I have to push the connector down when plugged in. Now it's even harder when the case is off.

Ye gads. I'm really sorry that trick didn't work for you.

Didn't realize how lucky I've been.

Sent from my unrooted 32 GB Polish Samsung Galaxy GT I9300 running 4.1.2.

KreepyKen

Just a cool guy
Jul 17, 2011
Visit site
Do the Device Centers do physical work like that? I have one closer to me, but never had a physical issue that needed work.

I think they can do some things there. If they can't, they'll either send it in for repair or replace the phone. I went in to one with my old Captivate that had several problems. Once they heard that it would shut itself off every now and then, they replaced it on the spot. They'll have speedier results, I think, than shipping it to Samsung for a diagnosis.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, they will replace it, I've had to do that with my network issues when I had my S3 and they kept telling me it was my phone at Customer Care.

Apav

Jan 7, 2012
Visit site

I've brought in total 4 defective replacement Rezounds to the biggest Verizon store near me, and all they can do is keep sending me a replacement until something actually works. If I bring it to Verizon, they'll definitely just replace the phone. But with the amount of defective phones people have received from Verizon's certified junk pile program, I wouldn't be surprised if the next one I'd get would have scratches on the screen (I was lucky to have gotten a phone in flawless physical condition) and/or internal defects. I'd rather Samsung fix my current one or replace it with one of their used phones. Even if I get a replacement GS3 from Verizon within 2 days, it just isn't worth the risk imo.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1