Empty Inbox and unable to send sms

Ozor93

Feb 17, 2013
Visit site
Hello, all of a sudden my Samsung Galaxy S3 will appear to have an empty inbox. If I then were to try to send a message to someone it'll just keep on trying to send it. No "Message not send (!)" pops up, it just keeps on trying.

If I restart the phone the problem is solved temporarily, the message will be sent and everything's good, for a couple of hours...I've tried doing a factory reset without any luck and I'm all out of ideas.
I've had this problem roughly a month now and I know I can just restart the phone but it's nothing I wanna do every other hour with a 4 months old some what expensive phone.

Anyone got any ideas? I would really appreciate it :)

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Need some clarification - when you say that the Inbox is empty that makes it sound like you're talking about email. If so, which email app are you referring to (Gmail or the stock email app)?
Regarding being unable to send SMS - do you mean a real SMS (text only; to only one recipient; 160 characters or less), or do you mean MMS (text plus attachment; multiple recipients; longer than 160 characters)?
If SMS, then the only thing you should need is a good cell signal.
If MMS, then you also need your mobile data connection enabled.
What carrier are you with?
What software version?
Stock or rooted?

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk 2

Ozor93

Feb 17, 2013
Visit site
Hey, I ment that my sms "Inbox" shows empty (Even though it's not)
I can't send SMS, the spinning wheel that tells me it's sending just spins for ever.
The cell signal at that point doesn't matter. It's just wont send until i've restarted the phone.
I'm signed up to Halebop.
Running on 4.1.2 Android
Don't really know that much about what Stock means. But I'm not rooted I know for sure.

Should I try to lose all apps? Or is that overkill?

FuzzyB

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
is your problem from the stock sms app or something else like gosmspro or handcent? if it is from a 3rd party app uninstall the app and reinstall.

if it is the stock app try a different app like gosmspro.

Ozor93

Feb 17, 2013
Visit site
I had gosms before, but I believe that I didn't have it when the problem occured. It happend on the standard messaging program.

I'll try handcent and check if the problem persists.

Ozor93

Feb 17, 2013
Visit site
I have now tried the Handcent messaging app with no luck.

Here's some screenshots from what happens

This is what keeps spinning and never goes into an "Could not send" message

This is what the Inbox looks like on handcent. On the usually message app it says that the inbox is empty though.

This is totally fresh "glitch" for me.

Edit: Sorry for the big screenshots, I should have resized them.
I actually had to restart the phone three times now before the sms's got sent.

Last edited:

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
In all of those screenshots you have a really lousy cell signal - barely one bar. Since SMS uses the standard cellular signal that may be your problem. Can you check this out in an area where you have 3 bars and let us know what happens?
Edit: you could try putting the phone in Airplane Mode and then turning that back off, rather than restarting the phone. Contrary to your statement, the cellular signal DOES matter for SMS.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk 2

Ozor93

Feb 17, 2013
Visit site
I know that it fails even at higher bars. But I'll try to catch it on screenshot.
The thing is, if it would be like normal it would try for about 30 secs then say that the message could not be sent. But in this case it never does.

Ozor93

Feb 17, 2013
Visit site
Edit: you could try putting the phone in Airplane Mode and then turning that back off, rather than restarting the phone. Contrary to your statement, the cellular signal DOES matter for SMS.

That worked for me :) Thanks saves me alot of time!
Though the problem still occurs, just had three bars and it didn't send. :(

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Drat! Just for the hell of it, have you tried enabling mobile data? I noticed in the screenshots that you had WiFi turned on - turn that off for a minute, enable mobile data and once you have a solid signal try the SMS again.

Ozor93

Feb 17, 2013
Visit site
Drat! Just for the hell of it, have you tried enabling mobile data? I noticed in the screenshots that you had WiFi turned on - turn that off for a minute, enable mobile data and once you have a solid signal try the SMS again.
My mobile data is always on, when WiFi is available it automaticlly switches to WiFi.
But I'll give it a try anyways without WiFi enabled.

Edit: That did not fix it. Got three bars and 3G Signal.

I'm not really familiar with the word "carrier". But what I get out of that is, what phone company are you bound to (correct me if I'm wrong)? That would be Halebop.

Edit: I have now done a factory reset. I hope that this will solve the problem. Will let you know :)

Last edited:

Ricky Babalu

BEACH BUM
Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
Hello, all of a sudden my Samsung Galaxy S3 will appear to have an empty inbox. If I then were to try to send a message to someone it'll just keep on trying to send it. No "Message not send (!)" pops up, it just keeps on trying.

If I restart the phone the problem is solved temporarily, the message will be sent and everything's good, for a couple of hours...I've tried doing a factory reset without any luck and I'm all out of ideas.
I've had this problem roughly a month now and I know I can just restart the phone but it's nothing I wanna do every other hour with a 4 months old some what expensive phone.

Anyone got any ideas? I would really appreciate it :)

My mobile data is always on, when WiFi is available it automaticlly switches to WiFi.
But I'll give it a try anyways without WiFi enabled.

Edit: That did not fix it. Got three bars and 3G Signal.

I'm not really familiar with the word "carrier". But what I get out of that is, what phone company are you bound to (correct me if I'm wrong)? That would be Halebop.

Edit: I have now done a factory reset. I hope that this will solve the problem. Will let you know :)
I thought you had done that? I think most of us did not suggest a factory reset as you had indicated having done so in your original post?

Ozor93

Feb 17, 2013
Visit site
I thought you had done that? I think most of us did not suggest a factory reset as you had indicated having done so in your original post?
Yeah sorry about that. I did a simple delete everything on the phone "reset" first. Now I did a real factory reset.
But it didn't solve anything...

Ozor93

Feb 17, 2013
Visit site
Should I contact my phone subscription company or the company I bought the phone from?
Is it possible it's the micro-sim is causing the problems?

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
You should check with your carrier/phone provider - it wouldn't hurt to have them send you another SIM card; I'm fresh out of ideas if the Factory Reset didn't solve the problem. Sorry.

Ozor93

Feb 17, 2013
Visit site
You should check with your carrier/phone provider - it wouldn't hurt to have them send you another SIM card; I'm fresh out of ideas if the Factory Reset didn't solve the problem. Sorry.

Ok, I just want to say that I really appreciate your help =)

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Chuck,
Have you already tried the previous suggestions, including a Factory Reset?
Has your phone always done this, or did it just start recently?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy