Phone rings through phone speaker instead of earbuds

Tisha722

Dec 24, 2011
Visit site
I have the S3 and I listen to music via the stock or Double Twist using my Bose earbuds. Why is it that when I receive a phone call it rings through the speaker via the phone and not the earbuds and how can I change it so it rings through the earbuds?

Markjcc

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
Try this,
put ur phones ringtone on vibrate
play some music with earbuds in
then launch an app that uses sound such as Temple Run 2 or Temple Run or 4 Pics 1 Word Basically anything with sound going on

tell me if you hear your music coming out of the speaker and not the earbuds

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Do your Bose headphones have a microphone? If they do, they should be recognized as a device capable of answering calls, in which case the notification should come through the earbuds - if they don't have a microphone then I wouldn't expect the notification to come through the headphones.
Have you tried this with the stock Samsung earbuds?

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk 2

Tisha722

Dec 24, 2011
Visit site
My Bose headphones don't have the microphone. I used the same headphones with my old Thunderbolt and never experienced this issue. If I was listening to music and received a call it would ring through the headphones and I could answer using the phone. I don't plan on buying the stock sSamsung headphones. I enjoy the sound quality of the Bose headphones.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
I understand that you prefer the sound quality of the Bose earbuds; I'm not asking you to replace them, I'm asking you what happens when you use the Samsung earbuds that came with your phone (which do have a microphone). If the Samsung earbuds work the way that you expect then it's unlikely that the Bose earbuds will since they don't have a microphone (regardless of what may have happened on your HTC phone).
If the Samsung earbuds don't work the way that you expect then it might be some system/application setting that we can hunt for (or it may be yet another shortcoming of the S3).

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk 2

Jim Courtney

Oct 29, 2014
Visit site
I, also have this issue with the S3. I have the stock earbuds, which do have a mic, and listen to music while on the local buses. I keep getting nasty looks every time my phone rings. I called Samsung a few days ago, and according to them, as well as another site I found, it's in the design of the phone. I'm considering trying stereo Bluetooth, and see what that does. If it solves the issue, great, if not, then once the phone is paid for, I will purchase another phone, that hopefully won't have this issue.

JudH

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
Ours, one S3 one Moto, do the same thing. I just assumed it's a safety thing to avoid damage to your ears. Same reason it rings via the speaker phone not the earpiece.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
teapotsax