Gmail is taking over my phone books

tabletnovice

Sep 4, 2012
Visit site
How can I stop Google from letting my GMail contacts mess with my phone book, both on my Galaxy S3 and my car phone book.

I have a large number of Contacts in in my Gmail account, however I don't even call or even have a phone number listed for most of them. ALL my Gmail contacts have been imported into my car phone book via bluetooth, not the ones I actually have in my GS3 contact list. If I make a change online in the contact area of gmail, it may mess with the entries on my phone.

I've spent hours trying to figure how to fix this problem, to no avail. I want only the Contacts listed on my phone to appear in the phone book in my car. And I don't want Google messing with or changing them.

I am so frustrated! Please, someone tell me there is a solution. Thank you!

dtrud0h

Feb 17, 2013
Visit site
Settings>accounts and sync>Google disable contacts syncing on the car phone. You'll have to do it on the phone you don't want to sync with Google, or all phone's if that's what you want. The settings are device independent and you have to set that setting from the device itself.

Sent from my XT901 using Tapatalk 2

gnr_2

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
I don't have this on my phone. Can it be under a name/place other than "accounts & sync?"

Is the problem at all related to "Joined Contact?"
He/she is referring to your main phone settings. But, in the contact (people app), you can click the menu and select "contacts to display", and deselect the gmail account. Only thing is, your Gmail account is your backup so not sure how that works. I did this in reverse in that I didn't have a gmail account, now all my phone contacts are my gmail contacts, sans email addresses. Don't know if that solves the problem and you still have to keep.them from syncing which you can do from "accounts" in the menu of the contact (people) app as well.

Sent from my totally awesome Sprint Galaxy Nexus, even if I don't know all its secrets yet.