Hi,

I'm relatively inexperienced with Android having moved from Blackberry in November, so apologies if this is an easily fixed issue.

My problem is that my SMS inbox icon always says there are 2 unread messages in my inbox, but in reality there aren't any unread.
    I've tried emptying my inbox but to no avail, and updates haven't fixed it. I would live with it but it means new messages don't always give notifications so don't notice them for hours/ the next day.

Does anyone have any idea how to fix this without wiping my phone?

Screenshot of it:
    SMS Inbox Icon-uploadfromtaptalk1362091742004.jpg
    Sent from my GT-I9300 using Android Central Forums
    02-28-2013 05:49 PM
    Have you tried clearing the cache?
    02-28-2013 10:08 PM
    Had to google that to figure out how to do, hasn't made any difference I'm afraid. Thanks for the suggestion though!
    03-01-2013 08:12 AM
    Ok..are you sure that's not the icon for all messages? I think there is a icon that pools your emails and text messages..I don't see a icon on your top notification bar so I'm thinking you may have a email or a message that is from days ago Ord you possibly checked in another app..there are multiple ways to get messages.

Sent from my amazing HTC
    03-01-2013 08:22 AM
    It's definitely just for text messages. Beginning to think it may be a small coding bug and I'll need to restore my phone.
    03-01-2013 08:28 AM
    I had this problem with my first s3. It is a software problem. I took mine back and got it replaced. Try all the necessary reboots like pulling the battery etc and see if it works. If not take it back to the shop.

03-01-2013 04:50 PM
    Oh really? Cheers for that, I'll do exactly that!
    03-01-2013 05:21 PM
    Oh really? Cheers for that, I'll do exactly that!
    You said above that you cleared the cache for the app, but if you haven't already I would try clearing the app's data as well.

Settings > Apps > All > [the app] > Clear Data
    03-01-2013 05:31 PM
    I have an international s3 and was advised that it is a software problem.
    Seemed to be a common problem when it first come out. But try all of the ither suggestions before you take it back but if it doesnt work then take it back.

03-02-2013 04:30 PM
    Funny, but if it's a software problem then taking it back isn't necessarily going to solve your problem - "taking it back" is for solving hardware problems.
    Additionally, if you search through the forums I don't think you'll find that this is a common problem, regardless of whether the phone is the International flavor or the one in the U.S.
    More likely than not you've either:
    - really not read through all of your Messaging threads
    - installed some other messaging app (Handcent; GoSMS; etc) that's causing the problem
    Whatever the case, if clearing the cache/data didn't fix the problem, then you may want to try one of the numerous tools that will allow you to backup your SMS, then delete all of the messages, ensure that the count is no longer showing two, then restore the SMS and see if the problem is resolved.
    If it's not, then a Factory Reset is in order (particularly since your carrier is going to ask if you've tried that when you "take it in").
    Here're some apps that you might find useful in being able to backup/restore your TMs:
    Carbon: http://market.android.com/details?id...ikdutta.backup
    Kies Air: http://market.android.com/details?id...ft.app.kiesair
    SMS Backup & Restore: http://market.android.com/details?id...SBackupRestore

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk 2
    03-04-2013 03:15 AM
    Everything you suggested was tried and tested and same thing happened.
    The carrier took it back with no problems at all. They said it was a software problem and was more than happy to exchange for a new one. As I stated that this was when the phone first come out with ics as the os and just suggested op that if all the tricks didnt work to take it back. It worked for me but it may not work for them.

03-04-2013 03:44 PM
    It will be interesting to see what the op has done and what has worked for thwm

03-04-2013 03:46 PM
    Hey, sorry guys I've been away on work for the past week and haven't been able to read the site/thread. I'll have a look at the replies tomorrow and give you all and update on what works/doesn't work.

Thanks again for the replies
    03-07-2013 09:44 PM