GS3 keeps freezing

MC_A_DOT

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
Hey guys ..

Sorry if there is a thread for this already but I don't have time to search through the forums because I'm at work.

I'm fairly new to android and I have a slight problem, my device has constantly been freezing for the last week or so and I have no idea why. :'(

I've deleted my recently installed apps and even done a factory reset but it froze about 10 times after that. even this morning when I woke up the screen was just black but the notification LED was still flashing. Sometimes it would freeze while the screen is on, sometimes when it is off and then I would have to hold the power button to resolve the issue but it just constantly re-occurs. :'(

Any advice would be much appreciated...coming from an old BlackBerry, I absolutely love this phone and love android but I cannot deal with this constant freezing for another year and a half (When my contract ends).

Android OS version: Jelly Bean 4.1.2
International Version
Only had it since the end of November 2012.

Please help....

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Perhaps you should take the time to search the forums when you're not at work?

You don't say whether your phone:
1. Ever worked correctly
2. Received the update to 4.1.2 around the time your troubles started
3. Is stock or rooted

Usually, if your phone is stock and you've performed a Factory Reset, the only other thing you can do is a shutdown/battery pull. If that doesn't solve your problem (and you've made sure not to download/install a bunch of apps) then you're probably looking at a hardware issue, and it's time to contact your carrier or Samsung for a replacement.

Edit: I saw in another thread that your phone is stock, so that helps reduce the possibilities. You could try removing your SDCard (if you have one) and operating without it for awhile.
I suppose it's possible that the SIM card is having some problem - you could pull that and perform another Factory Reset, then see if the phone is stable (yes, I realize that you can't get a mobile data connection or use it for phone calls, but you should be able to use WiFi to establish your Google account, and all we're trying to do here is see if the phone is borked).

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

MC_A_DOT

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
Perhaps you should take the time to search the forums when you're not at work?

You don't say whether your phone:
1. Ever worked correctly
2. Received the update to 4.1.2 around the time your troubles started
3. Is stock or rooted

Usually, if your phone is stock and you've performed a Factory Reset, the only other thing you can do is a shutdown/battery pull. If that doesn't solve your problem (and you've made sure not to download/install a bunch of apps) then you're probably looking at a hardware issue, and it's time to contact your carrier or Samsung for a replacement.

Edit: I saw in another thread that your phone is stock, so that helps reduce the possibilities. You could try removing your SDCard (if you have one) and operating without it for awhile.
I suppose it's possible that the SIM card is having some problem - you could pull that and perform another Factory Reset, then see if the phone is stable (yes, I realize that you can't get a mobile data connection or use it for phone calls, but you should be able to use WiFi to establish your Google account, and all we're trying to do here is see if the phone is borked).

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk 2

Thanks for the reply. I would check when I'm not at work but my reception is crap at home and I dont have time to search through threads on my break.

My phone has always worked correctly. I updated to 4.1.2 quite a while back and its been fine. My work associate who specializes in android products in my office read up about a fault with google music so I removed the application but I haven't had a chance to see if the issue has been resolved. I've also removed all the apps that I do not use so hopefully its back to normal.

I will see how it holds up and get back to you.

Thanks for the help btw.

Matthew Post

Mar 8, 2013
Visit site
I have recently had the same problem, perhaps only for the last week.

It is a stock S3, running Jelly Bean 4.1.2, which I have had for some time.

A google search shows many threads with similar complaints (in the last week), however no known cause or solution. There is suggestion that it could be related to the wifi (and it should be switched off when not in use). They didn't elaborate as to how they came to this solution. I have just turned wifi off and will see if the problem persists.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Matthew,
Can you provide a little more clarity about your freezing problem?
1. How often does it freeze?
2. What kind of "freeze" are you talking about (the currently running app pauses momentarily; the whole phone locks up, requiring you to pull the battery; etc)?
3. Is there a particular app that it happens most often with?
4. What new apps have you loaded in the past week (since just before the problem started)?
5. Did you happen to do a Factory Reset after your phone updated to Jelly Bean?

Ahmed Abdelazim

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
Hi
I had the same issue
And I found the solution after a lot of searching
The issue is in the chrome app
Go to application management then disable Chrome
try and let me know
If this work with you please forward to others ;)

Regards

MC_A_DOT

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
Hi
I had the same issue
And I found the solution after a lot of searching
The issue is in the chrome app
Go to application management then disable Chrome
try and let me know
If this work with you please forward to others ;)

Regards

So i shouldn't use google chrome anymore?

But i love it :'(

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
So i shouldn't use google chrome anymore?

But i love it :'(

A great many people are using Chrome without issue. As Ahmed suggested, try disabling it and see if that solves your problem.

If it does, re-enable Chrome and try clearing the cache and data for that app. You'll lose your bookmarks, but if the problem is Chrome it probably because of a corrupted file somewhere. If the problem is Chrome, and clearing cache and data doesn't solve it, you probably have some other program that's incompatible with Chrome. That can be hard to diagnose.

Let us know what happens when you try the above.

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Does it freeze on the lockscreen?

Take off the "Ripple Effect" from the Lock Screen option, and that should fix it if it freezes on the locksreen

betty_boop245

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
I had the same problem, Id be in the middle of doing something, and the screen would just freeze, the buttons wouldnt work, even the home button, and id either have to do a hard reboot, or if I left it for about 20 minutes or so, it would unfreeze itself. I ended up having to have my mother board replaced by Samsung, although it took them 3 attempts to actually sort it out properly

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Android Central Forums

Mark Nicholas

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
I'm getting an identical issue to this with all the same background info, totally stock phone - back in late 2012, on O2, no dodgy apps.

Seems like it could be SD Card, Chrome, or screen ripple (although not sure on this one!). I'm on 4.1.2. and had no problems, and thought it might be juice defender as someone else mentioned 'task killers' so I removed it. But when I reboot by holding Power Button down as its the only way, it sometimes reboots but still in a locked/frozen state.

Happy to try suggestions, but some of the options are like literally taking a punt, e.g. uninstalling all apps, etc, Some suggestions from Samsung, Android would be good!

Getting fed up with Android, having been an iPhone user, the OS and hardware just don't seem as stable I'm afraid.

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
I'm getting an identical issue to this with all the same background info, totally stock phone - back in late 2012, on O2, no dodgy apps.

Seems like it could be SD Card, Chrome, or screen ripple (although not sure on this one!). I'm on 4.1.2. and had no problems, and thought it might be juice defender as someone else mentioned 'task killers' so I removed it. But when I reboot by holding Power Button down as its the only way, it sometimes reboots but still in a locked/frozen state.

Happy to try suggestions, but some of the options are like literally taking a punt, e.g. uninstalling all apps, etc, Some suggestions from Samsung, Android would be good!

Getting fed up with Android, having been an iPhone user, the OS and hardware just don't seem as stable I'm afraid.

If I were in your shoes, I would factory reset the device and be done with the problem. If that or dealing with Android OS is too difficult for you.....then I would sincerely suggest you reacquaint yourself with an iOS device.

Mark Nicholas

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
Factory reset is ok when your device is actually stable enough that you get a chance to back it up using Kies, which again, is hit and miss. I also consider myself a highly competent user, and therefore stating that Android is too difficult is a ridiculous comment quite frankly, some helpful advice would be appreciated otherwise don't bother. In fact, I enjoy using it, it's just not as stable as IOS. This is an android issue, not user issue.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
While I agree that Groove's comment wasn't helpful, this isn't a typical Android problem. Samsung's sold 40 million of these things, and if lockups / freezes were a common issue that wouldn't be the case.

If you have an SD card installed, shut the phone down, remove the card, then reboot. A bad card or corrupt data on the card could possibly cause this.

Freezing and lockups are most likely a result of a problem app, or combination of apps that don't get along, or corrupt files or cache. You might try booting into safe mode and see if you can actually get the phone to work. I'm not sure how to do that, but if you search on "safe mode" you should find the answer.

Uninstalling programs, especially any that seem like they might start automatically when the phone boots, is a good start. If you have the patience, remove a couple at a time, reboot, and if the problem goes away you'll have a good idea what app was causing it.

Can you boot into recovery? With the phone off , recovery mode is achieved pressing and holding volume UP, power button and the (physical) home button simultaneously. Watching the screen closely, release all 3 buttons as soon as you see the word Samsung. (Don't get fooled by the vibration -- it'll buzz just before the logo appears, and I invariably release the buttons then :). ) If timed correctly it will boot into recovery in about 10-20 seconds (after releasing). If you are too early or late the phone will boot normally and skip recovery. Turn the phone off and try again.

Once in recovery, there should be an option to wipe cache. (I'm rooted and not using the stock recovery, so I don't remember exactly what it offers.) Use the volume keys to move up and down in the menu, select clear cache, and press the physical home button. When the process is complete, reboot. The first boot may take a very long time. That's normal.

If that doesn't work, you can repeat, but this time clear data, too. You'll lose most of the configuration settings you've made in your apps, and may lose some application data (text messages, for example). If that doesn't work, then I think you're looking at a factory reset, painful as it might be. Don't re-install anything, or do any configuration, after the reset is complete. If it still freezes, you have a hardware problem. If it works, start reinstalling your apps, but do only a couple at a time, use the phone for a while, and then install a couple more. If it's an app causing the problem, you'll be able to narrow it down very easily.

Ste Ormson

Apr 8, 2013
Visit site
I have been suffering with my phone freezing quite a lot for the last few days .After reading one of the comments about it possibly being Chrome that is causing it ,I went onto app manager and clicked on the uninstall updates .I also cleared the cache and the data .Touch wood it hasn't frozen since.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
Chrome must be conflicting with something else on your phone. I use Chrome as my primary browser and haven't had any issues at all. (Keeping my fingers crossed.)

MC_A_DOT

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
Crap I forgot to get back to you guys lol.

I went through all the resets and then only installed apps that I liked/needed, my GS3 hasn't frozen since my last post :D

Thanks for all the help. Hopefully I have a smooth journey when I get the Nexus 5

Chirag S

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
Interestingly, I have started having this issue now with GS3. I have been running stock for 14 months and phone started going blank screen and freeze. Sometimes It would do even when I am using it, sometimes it would go to sleep and then freeze (on charging or just sitting in pocket).

I am trying to identify and resolve this. The phone is outside manufacturer warranty - so fingers crossed.

MC_A_DOT

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
Interestingly, I have started having this issue now with GS3. I have been running stock for 14 months and phone started going blank screen and freeze. Sometimes It would do even when I am using it, sometimes it would go to sleep and then freeze (on charging or just sitting in pocket).

I am trying to identify and resolve this. The phone is outside manufacturer warranty - so fingers crossed.

I would say do all the resets like I did and then only install the apps that you need. Worked for me

rodric

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site
I used to have the freeze problem, and here's how I solved it:
Updated to the latest stock firmware (from kies)
install an app called Dummy file generator from playstore
run the app, this app creates dummy files in order to fill the internal memory, while writing the internal memory the phone will freeze, Leave it, it will unfreeze after 5-25 minutes.
run the app 2-5 times until the memory is full
delete the dummy files using the app
test your phone
The idea behind the dummy file generator is that samsung is aware of the problem, it has something to do with a chip, and samsung adress the problem with latest firmware, so when the phone freezes actually it's correcting the problem in that chip, that's why it will unfreeze after 5-25 minutes, and the dummy file generator makes the phone freeze on purpouse so the firmware corrects the problem.
It worked for me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tgksnow