New SGS3 lagging

roooble

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
I have just bought a samsung galaxy s3 on contract and it was fine. Ive had it about a week and a half and its already starting to lag.

I have disabled S voice but there is still a 2 - 3 second delay on getting to the home screen, and a further second or so until the home screen has loaded.

I have changed animations to 0.5 seconds too.

I just feel that it shouldnt lag like this as people has said it is very fast.

Its also a few seonds delay to open an app.

Any ideas? Thanks :)

Ps. Sorry its another lag thread but ive tried some stuff but it still lags :(

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
This is a normal complaint from people who keep the stock (TouchWiz) Launcher from Samsung. I personally use Nova Launcher but you can take your pick of the various ones in the play store. They usually solve the issue.

Sent from my Sprint S3 using AC forums.

crester

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Check to see what apps you have that may be running in the background. Also every once in a while use a "cache cleaning" program.

roooble

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
Thanks. I've installed Nova and it seems to be working well now. There are still a few apps that take a second or so to load up though. It also still has a little bit of lag, but that's mainly when you swipe left or right immediately after pressing the home button (And it takes about 2 seconds to load the contacts page, but I guess that is to be expected).

Also, on TouchWiz I had a weather widget showing the time (It was on there when I got it). I can't seem to find it now to put it on Nova... It's called weather, I checked on the Touchwiz bit, but it's not on there on Nova??

Other than that, it's much faster, thanks for the suggestion :D

Crester- I do try to clear the running apps a lot, they build up very fast! Also, if I clear the cache, will I be logged out of everything? (I can't remember if that's cache or cookies)

Spencerdl

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
I have to say that my Verizon Samsung Galaxy S III has been running flawless so far. Knock on wood (knocking). The new update (4.1.2) has made the phone even faster.......WOW. I always download one app at a time to make sure it works well with others, because I found that approx 9 out of 10, when a phone "acts up" it has something to do with an app of sorts. I tend to stick with 4+ stars when it comes to apps ........NO PROBLEMS so far

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
Also, on TouchWiz I had a weather widget showing the time (It was on there when I got it). I can't seem to find it now to put it on Nova... It's called weather, I checked on the Touchwiz bit, but it's not on there on Nova??
How have you looked for it? If you long press on a blank spot on the screen, you should see a menu pop up with several selections, one of which is "Widgets." Tap that, and you should find it.
Crester- I do try to clear the running apps a lot, they build up very fast! Also, if I clear the cache, will I be logged out of everything? (I can't remember if that's cache or cookies)

No, no, no, no, no!!!! Crester said cache, not running apps. There's no reason to kill running apps unless some particular app is causing problems. Android is very good a managing apps and memory--let it do it's thing. There seems to be some concept that empty memory makes a phone run faster, or that it saves battery, but neither are true. In fact, the opposite is true. All RAM is constantly refreshed to maintain state, whether in use by an app or not, so there's no battery savings there. Android leaves recently used apps in memory so that if you need that app again it's instantly available. If you've closed it, then Android has to read the app from storage into memory, which takes time and battery, and then restart the app, which takes more time. Think of the contacts app. If you've used it once, and it's in memory, then the next time you use it both the app, and at least a subset of you contact data (depending on how many contacts you have) will already be in RAM, ready to go. But if you've killed it, Android has to copy the app in RAM, start it executing, read the contacts data into RAM, and only then present the screen to you.

You're making Android more sluggish by killing apps. Let it do what's it's designed to do.

Nazty111

Jun 25, 2012
Visit site
I love the phone, but it never keeps apps in memory for very long even though I don't close them. games are the worst and they will leave ram as soon as I move away from it. even when I get a phone call mid game, which I think is really bad. note I have the uk variant with 1gb ram. but my old n8 with 256mb ram didn't kill apps that quick! is that the same for everyone ( not including people with 2gb ram as I have tested one and that doesn't happen)

roooble

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
How have you looked for it? If you long press on a blank spot on the screen, you should see a menu pop up with several selections, one of which is "Widgets." Tap that, and you should find it.

I've done that, but I couldn't find it. I've also gone into the Apps & Widgets menu and looked for it there, but it just seems to have gone. I switched back to TouchWiz and the widget was there, between 'Watchdog Lite' and 'Yahoo! Finance' (It's called 'Weather). Then I went on to Nova and it's not there. The list just goes 'Watchdog Lite' then 'Yahoo! Finance'. I've tried downloading Accuweather again, but the widget isn't the same.

No, no, no, no, no!!!! Crester said cache, not running apps. There's no reason to kill running apps unless some particular app is causing problems. Android is very good a managing apps and memory--let it do it's thing. There seems to be some concept that empty memory makes a phone run faster, or that it saves battery, but neither are true. In fact, the opposite is true. All RAM is constantly refreshed to maintain state, whether in use by an app or not, so there's no battery savings there. Android leaves recently used apps in memory so that if you need that app again it's instantly available. If you've closed it, then Android has to read the app from storage into memory, which takes time and battery, and then restart the app, which takes more time. Think of the contacts app. If you've used it once, and it's in memory, then the next time you use it both the app, and at least a subset of you contact data (depending on how many contacts you have) will already be in RAM, ready to go. But if you've killed it, Android has to copy the app in RAM, start it executing, read the contacts data into RAM, and only then present the screen to you.

You're making Android more sluggish by killing apps. Let it do what's it's designed to do.

Whoops! I just presumed that the less apps I have running, the faster it will go (As my laptop runs faster with less programmes running). I see what you mean though, so i'll leave them open and see how it goes.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
I've done that, but I couldn't find it. I've also gone into the Apps & Widgets menu and looked for it there, but it just seems to have gone. I switched back to TouchWiz and the widget was there, between 'Watchdog Lite' and 'Yahoo! Finance' (It's called 'Weather). Then I went on to Nova and it's not there. The list just goes 'Watchdog Lite' then 'Yahoo! Finance'. I've tried downloading Accuweather again, but the widget isn't the same.

Interesting. I've never liked filling up a huge amount of screen real-estate with a clock or weather widget, so I never used the stock TW one. I guess it must be hard coded into TW. There are dozens of weather widgets in the play store, so hopefully you can find something there you like.

roooble

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
Interesting. I've never liked filling up a huge amount of screen real-estate with a clock or weather widget, so I never used the stock TW one. I guess it must be hard coded into TW. There are dozens of weather widgets in the play store, so hopefully you can find something there you like.

:( Ok. I found one in the play store that seems good.

It's definitely more responsive now. Thanks to everyone who helped :)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuckm