My Galaxy S3 won't let me enter text?

bnkb

Mar 10, 2013
Visit site
This morning I tried to send a text message to my friend, but my phone would not let me expand the box to see the keyboard. I tried restarting, but that only helped for a short amount of time then it went back to not allowing me to do anything. I tried hitting the backspace button as well, but that also refused to work at that time. When I restarted my phone things worked again but when I tried to type it would make it so that the touchscreen doesn't work anymore. What can I do? I haven't had the phone for very long, only about 3-4 months? It is really frustrating to have to resart my phone and have to type really quickly to send a text even though it is working just fine other than this...
Actually, it isn't even letting me do that anymore and it just freezing the thing I'm trying to work on even though the notification bar is still working. Help me please??

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
You're saying that the touch screen is working fine (it allows taps, gestures, etc) but that:
1. the keyboard doesn't automatically come up when you tap in a field that should cause it to be shown OR
2. the keyboard is being shown, but you can't actually use it to enter any characters OR
3. something else that I'm not understanding
If "it" works right after a reboot then it sounds like some app you've installed is jacking it up. Did you install/update any apps between when it was working and when the problem started? Have you messed with any of the system settings?

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk 2

bnkb

Mar 10, 2013
Visit site
I mean that the keyboard refuses to come up with I tap in the area that is supposed to make it come up.
And it doesn't work after reboot now, nor have I installed any apps in at least a month or updated them in a while (and this started this morning). I also haven't messed with any of the system settings.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Try this: go into Settings>Application Manager>Samsung Keyboard>and look to see if any cache is there and clear it. You may have to reset your settings, but see if that helps.

MiNena77

May 29, 2013
Visit site
GSDer said:
"You're saying that the touch screen is working fine (it allows taps, gestures, etc) but that:
1. the keyboard doesn't automatically come up when you tap in a field that should cause it to be shown OR
2. the keyboard is being shown, but you can't actually use it to enter any characters OR
3. something else that I'm not understanding
If "it" works right after a reboot then it sounds like some app you've installed is jacking it up. Did you install/update any apps between when it was working and when the problem started? Have you messed with any of the system settings? "

Hi - I have a Galaxy S2 & am having issue #2 above "the keyboard is being shown but I can't actually use it to enter any characters"
The keyboard comes up and does one of two thing: 1. it lets me type, suggests a word that I select & then doesn't place it into the text area OR it doesn't let me type anything at all!!
I attempted to use the Application manager fix you suggested but couldn't find on my phone - maybe it's different?
I also have issues when trying to dial out - i select from the most recent calls, press the green button next to the person's name to dial but nothing happens - it just stays on the 'call log' rather than dialing the person I select.
Any suggestions?

weesy

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
Try this: go into Settings>Application Manager>Samsung Keyboard>and look to see if any cache is there and clear it. You may have to reset your settings, but see if that helps.

i was having the same issue, tried the above fix and it worked, thank you!

renelaz

Jun 12, 2013
Visit site
GSDer said:

Hi - I have a Galaxy S2 & am having issue #2 above "the keyboard is being shown but I can't actually use it to enter any characters"
The keyboard comes up and does one of two thing: 1. it lets me type, suggests a word that I select & then doesn't place it into the text area OR it doesn't let me type anything at all!!
I attempted to use the Application manager fix you suggested but couldn't find on my phone - maybe it's different?
I also have issues when trying to dial out - i select from the most recent calls, press the green button next to the person's name to dial but nothing happens - it just stays on the 'call log' rather than dialing the person I select.
Any suggestions?

I am having the same problem with my Note 10.1 . For example on the yahoo page I can enter my email address to sign in, but not my password, the Keyboard responds, but nothing goes into the field. I tried to find help on the Samsung live Chat ,but could only enter text in the name field , not the email address field or problem description.

Charelle Smallwood

Sep 6, 2013
Visit site
Re: My HTC sense keyboard wont show up

im really having problems with my htc sense keyboard . my phone was dead & i connected it to the charger , tried turning it on but when i turned it on and tried texting my keyboard would NOT show up , i tried restarting , taking the battery out , please help :(

m0niqueee

Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
My phone is having the same issue with the keyboard not showing up when wanting to text or write something. i tried what you said above, but when i go to application setting i dont have "samsung keyboard" option.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
when i go to application setting i dont have "samsung keyboard" option.
You're looking in Settings -> More (if using the Tab view) -> Application manager -> scroll right to the ALL tab -> scroll down until you find 'Samsung keyboard'?

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk Pro

Feb 9, 2014
Visit site
I was facing the same issue since my sofyware been updated and i did clear cache as above guidance but seems doesnt take any effect.Finally I download keyboard apps called jellybean from Googleplay and it seems more awesome then the original.
thewayfarer

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
checked my keyboard and its still not showing.
And you looked in Settings -> My device (if using the Tab view) -> Language and input -> and the Default is set to Samsung keyboard?
Have you tried selecting the gear icon next to the Samsung keyboard, scrolling to the bottom of the list and selecting 'Reset settings'?

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk Pro