Google Wallet alternative

tabletnovice

Sep 4, 2012
Visit site
I recently bought my first SmartPhone, the Galaxy S3 so I'm not very familiar with it. I had Google Wallet on my Nexus 7 tablet but, unless I'm missing something, it is not compatible with the S3. If I'm correct, what do I use instead? Thank you.

Mellimel22

Banned
Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Which company u with because Google wallet is available on the s3. My sis use it on her sprint s3 all the time.

Sent from my Sprint Galaxy Nexus rockin 4.2.2 using Tapatalk 2

cpolism

Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
Not sure about T-Mobile, but I know for sure Google Wallet isn't compatible with Verizon or AT&T S3's. Pretty sure Sprint has a deal with Google Wallet and allows it on all their NFC capable (android) devices.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site

geekymcfly

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
Verizon /att/tmobile blocked google wallet. They want you to use their app isis which is only supported in SLC, UTah & Austin TX. On top of that you need a isis ready sim card which is also only available in those areas. Its dumb but i guess thats what we have to deal with.
Rooted: Tmo GS3: PacMan ROM : 4.2.2

Mellimel22

Banned
Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
U can side load wallet and use it without issue. My girl has it on her vzw s3. All I did was root it and side loaded it.

Sent from my Sprint Galaxy Nexus rockin 4.2.2 using Tapatalk 2

vietalogy

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
I have it on my at&t S3. If your rooted you can install it with a app which I can link if you PM since I'm on mobile.

Sent via Tapatalk

cpolism

Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
I have it on my at&t S3. If your rooted you can install it with a app which I can link if you PM since I'm on mobile.

Sent via Tapatalk

Are you saying you rooted the phone and left it stock and side loading Google Wallet? Or did you root it and throw a ROM on there which had Wallet built into the gapps? If all you have to do is root it (and leave it stock) I'd be into that.

bakeri666

Mar 21, 2012
Visit site
Are you saying you rooted the phone and left it stock and side loading Google Wallet? Or did you root it and throw a ROM on there which had Wallet built into the gapps? If all you have to do is root it (and leave it stock) I'd be into that.

That is indeed all you need to do, I have done it. I can't remember where I downloaded the apk but a Google search should find it.

Didn't work for me though because I'm in UK and it wants a us bank account

Insp_Gadget

Inspector Gadget
Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
For full disclosure, you should be aware that if you root your phone, you will need to be extra careful about which apps you install... More specifically, you'll need to pay extra attention to the permissions that apps request when you install them. When you root your phone, you're running it with full administrative privileges--No safety net or barrier between your apps and their ability to do ANYTHING on the phone. (It's like logging on to your PC with the Administrator account. You have to make sure you don't run a rogue app or it will have the ability to compromise everything.)

Now that you've been sufficiently warned. Go ahead and root it. It's not hard, and if you really want Google Wallet on your Verizon-branded phone, that's really your only choice for getting it.

I can't speak to the quality or future of the Isis Wallet app that the carriers are pushing. I just know that it requires a special SIM card (with its own built-in secure element) and Isis is not available in enough places yet to make it a viable option at this point for most people.

Quite frankly, I trust Google more than the carriers. But that's just me. ;)

tabletnovice

Sep 4, 2012
Visit site
Those who mentioned ISIS are correct. I contacted Verizon and here is their response:

While you are not able to use Google Wallet at this time you maybe interested to hear that we are conducting tests in several markets with Isis which is a mobile wallet system that uses NFC. Your can go to Verizon Wireless - Explore for more information on Isis and at the bottom of the page you can sign up to be notified when Isis becomes available in your area.

Thank you all for your input!

bakeri666

Mar 21, 2012
Visit site
Ref: rooting
If you do not feel 100% comfortable about rooting please please Do Not Root!

If someone doesn't feel comfortable rooting please please Do Not Encourage Rooting.

Rooting IS an incredibly easy procedure, so easy that it's harder to get it wrong and brick your phone than get it right these days... but, and it's a big but, it's massively misunderstood!

Android is based on Linux, and Linux is based on Unix. Through this heritage the administration of the system is by the root account. A root user has full access to all aspects of the device. This empowers the user to do anything they want, but it also enables the user to break the device by deleting or modifying things that shouldn't be touched.
Also any software ran by root has root privileges. Whilst su apps restrict the privileges slightly they do not fully control them, that is because rooting is not enabling su (super user, a way for normal users to gain temporary root privileges), it is changing the default login to root.

If you had a Linux computer you would not log in as root by default, and you would not give su permissions to untrustworthy users, so why would you on your phone?

Yes there are benefits to root, and someone that is proficient will have no issues, but just because it's an easy patch to apply doesn't mean everyone should apply it.

tabletnovice

Sep 4, 2012
Visit site
If you do not feel 100% comfortable about rooting please please Do Not Root!

If someone doesn't feel comfortable rooting please please Do Not Encourage Rooting.

Thank you bakeri666!! I appreciate your advice and the very interesting information. I feel no need to root. Maybe some day it will be something I tackle, but right now the GS3 does all I want it too, and then some. I'm still in awe at what these gizmos can do.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dedehammac