Viewing videos sent from an iphone

Mullend

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
My daughters send me videos from their iPhones which I can barely make out when I play them back. They're very grainy and small. Been looking for an answer to this dilemma but so far have found nothing. Any ideas as to how I can fix this problem?

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Umm, ask your daughters not to record in grainy and small mode? :eek:

Sorry, that was too good to pass up. :D

Unfortunately, I don't know anyone with an iPhone, so I don't have any reference to go on. If they send these videos to each other, what do they look like? Do you know what format the videos are in? Do you know anything about the recording resolution (320x240; 640x480; etc)?
Edit: if your daughters send the video via email rather than MMS, does it make a difference in the video quality?

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk 2

Craig Rogers

Banned
Jan 8, 2013
Visit site
I've never heard of this happening. Do you know what resolution the videos are recording in? It may be the mighty piece of crap iPhone lowering the quality because of the size of the video (hey, this is android Central, I have a right to bash iphones). Have you tried different sizes of videos (like 10 seconds to a minute long)? My guess is the iphone is just trying to save data over the network because the files are too big. When your daughters send the videos via mms, do they have an option on the quality the video is sent in? Are you using the standard video player? Also, even though it probably doesn't relate to the problem, what network are you and your daughters on?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

JJ Jones

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
I'm having the same issue on my Maxx HD. Wife has iPhone 5 and when she sends video via mms it looks like crap. An iOS to Android issue perhaps?

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
The same video clip can be viewed clearly when sent by email.
Then I guess that's your solution. :thumbup:
It's a pretty common issue for MMS - since MMS is size limited (typically 1MB), by default it will compress things like pictures & video, often causing a loss in quality. Email also has a size limit (typically 20MB), so that would be the preferred way for videos to be sent.
Or, just have them use Dropbox, Box, SugarSync or any of the billion other file hosting services and you can avoid this whole mess.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk 2

Mullend

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
I am not sure of the resolution. I am with Virgin and my daughter is with Fido. We have been trying to find a solution and so far have determined that I can receive clear videos from her (she has iPhone) only by email or through What'sApp. And she can receive clear videos from me only through What'sApp. The frustration with What'sApp is that I can only record and send videos 10 seconds or less whereas she can send much longer videos. This is no doubt due to resolution which I am not sure I can change?

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
I am not sure of the resolution...This is no doubt due to resolution which I am not sure I can change?
I thought I gave you some reasonable options:
1. Continue to send videos via email - this will allow you to transfer a larger video than MMS
2. Use any file hosting service that supports cross-platform use (I haven't looked to see if the popular ones support iOS, but I'm sure you can find one)
3. Regarding your last question - it is possible to change the video resolution that you use when recording. (I'm not running the stock ROM at the moment, or I'd provide you with specific steps/screenshots.) If I remember correctly, once you've switched to video mode in the stock camera app, press the gear symbol to bring up the settings, then scroll down the list to Resolution, pick that item, and it should show you all of the available capture resolutions: the smaller the resolution, the longer you can record video (and still end up with a comparably-sized file).
Edit: I just checked and both Box and SugarSync offer iOS clients - so you can check with your daughters and see which they prefer; most of the file hosting services offer 5GB free, so that should be plenty for common sharing of pictures/videos.

Last edited:

Eweny12

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
Well, I also agree that your daught can transfer video from iPhone to your email, so that you can watch it clearly.
Are you ever have a try?

michelleishappy

Feb 7, 2014
Visit site
I used to own a GS3 and my Mom still does. My Aunt has an (yech) iPhone 6 (anything "i" or Mac/Apple is SO low-functioning, IMO) anyway and when my Aunt sends a video to a GS3, it does come in tiny. BUT iPhone to iPhone comes through normal size. That is strange. Now that I have upgraded to a Galaxy Note 7 (appears to be normal and not melting so far lol) my Aunt's videos come through fine. Perhaps it also has something to do with the memory on the receiving end? Not sure. My old gs3 had 16 gb internally and a 64 add-on.
My new one has 64 gb internally. Nothing add-on yet. Just thinking.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz