what sucking my battery??

hansam

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
Guys,

Fairly new to Android, I got a jb on an s3.. apps installed are shown here.. phone status and phone details also there

my 2hr charge always drains for 8hrs on standby.. don't know what to do.. the phone is not even 1 month old

Thanks,

Renz

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
First thing to do is try looking at a few of the many other posts dealing with battery life. Here's one: http://forums.androidcentral.com/samsung-galaxy-s3/190757-great-battery-improvement.html, and here's another: http://forums.androidcentral.com/sa...android-system-eating-your-battery-check.html

Second thing is to post some screen captures of your battery status and related information.What you displayed doesn't tell you anything about which app(s) might be draining your battery. Go to Settings / Battery, and do a screen capture. Then tap the graph, and capture that screen as well. Hit the back button, tap the line that says Display, and capture that one. Post all three screen captures here.

What's the state of your battery after two hours charge? Is that 8 hour drain starting with a fully charged battery? What percentage of battery is left after 8 hours.

hansam

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
Almost down less than 50, yes coming from full charge.. almost full after 2 hours and it is without using the phone after disconnecting charger after 5 mins there goes 1% and after 5 mins another 1%

Attachments

• Screenshot_2013-03-19-01-45-02.png
    Screenshot_2013-03-19-01-45-02.png
    141.7 KB · Views: 52
  • Screenshot_2013-03-19-01-45-34.png
    Screenshot_2013-03-19-01-45-34.png
    72 KB · Views: 52
  • Screenshot_2013-03-19-01-45-17.png
    Screenshot_2013-03-19-01-45-17.png
    74.3 KB · Views: 52

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
The Awake bar (in the last screenshot) shows that the phone is awake for the whole time (almost 9 hours), which is certainly killing your battery life. The 1st screenshot shows that you have Media (streaming?) and Media server running, again leading me to believe that's what is causing your rapid battery decay. Your Screen time looked pretty normal at about an hour for ~9 hours of On time.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk 2

SloveOWizard

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site
I have the same issue! Awake ALL the time! Media, and Media Server are up there in the %'s

FYI, I am charging through USB cable, and drivers are installed on computer it's charging from.

hansam

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
No, it is only on standby, i only unlock the phone when checking messages but almost all the time it is locked. The media however was me watching videos but not on the internet, and my brightness was on the dimmest. when you say awake it is powered on?

hansam

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
no, that 8 hours on standby with me only touching the phone only to check for message a couple times, if just discharges without me using it

dlinares90

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
As GSDer mentioned above, the battery history is showing that your phone is awake for the entire 8 hour period. You can also see that a third of your battery is being used up by your screen.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
A couple of things:

Hansam, you need to understand even in standby the phone is still doing things in the background, so it's still going to be using power. Whether you touch it or not. The radios are on so that when you get a message the phone can receive it. The OS is running all the time to serve any application or hardware requests. Memory has to be refreshed. It's a computer, and if it's on there are things that will use power.

Since you didn't start with a fully charged phone, it's hard to know what your battery life really is. How long did it take for the battery to drop from nearly full to 50%? Next time, make sure you charge the phone to 100%, which will reset the battery monitor, and then track usage until you're down to about 50%, and repost the images then. But IF you're really getting 8 hours of battery life at 50%, that's really nothing to complain about. If you didn't charge to 100%, that's probably not accurate, though. To repeat: You MUST charge to 100% for the battery stats to really be meaningful.

Media gets used any time you download any file. So if you downloaded videos, or programs, or any large file that will account for quite a bit of usage. And media server gets used whenever you watch a video, whether you're watching it online or not. So if you downloaded those videos, and then watched them offline, that could account for quite a bit of battery.

But since your phone isn't going to sleep, something else is probably wrong. Heavy media server usage can be caused by corrupted media files. Are your videos on a removable SD card? If so, try removing the SD card, reboot, and see if that fixes the problem. If they're on internal memory, I'd suggest copying any files you want to keep to your computer, delete everything from the internal SD, reboot and see what happens.

So: remove the SD card if that's where the files are. Delete the media files from you internal SD if that's where they are. Reboot the phone. Charge to 100%. Let us know what happens.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
See below for typical battery life data that started at 100% charged. The usage was similar to what you described except I didn't watch any videos. uploadfromtaptalk1363669567022.jpguploadfromtaptalk1363669595030.jpguploadfromtaptalk1363669611684.jpgIt looks like you had a rogue process running the whole time, even though the screen was off much of the time, causing the phone to remain awake the whole time rather than cycling through normal sleep states.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk 2

bbolton_98

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
You have been given a lot of good info but I suggest that you get an app to give you more info than the battery.
I used four apps
Better battery stats #1 - free on xda
Battery Monitor Widget #2 - free or paid
System Tuner #3 - free or paid
Android Tuner #4 - free or paid

I used from 1 to 4 , I bought pro version of 2 thru 4. As they were updated and don't regret it. But the last #4 has everything built in and is very useful. I run SynergyRom r373 and Anthrax kernel which has given me the best performance and battery together.

P.s. media usually runs for a full charge or so if you flash some kernels, after reaching 100% charge a time or two it normally stops. But I keep a blank file named .nomedia in the folders that I dont want scanned. Example my Bible app has almost a gig of versions so I put it there so it isn't scanned.
Wiping caches and fix permissions, has also been posted to help but I haven't noticed that.
Good Luck

See the Galaxy sIII shine via SynergyRom & Anthrax kernels

mak916

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I use watchdog app to see if I have any apps that are using up my CPU. It will alert you if an app starts using a certain % of your CPU. I find that for me, the stock video player sometimes uses much of my CPU. I have to go into the App Manager and stop it manually. Even when I do that, I find that it turns itself back on somehow. Check and see how your stock video player is acting. Also check out this app also. There is a free version and paid version.
https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...bS56b211dC53YXRjaGRvZ2xpdGUiXQ&token=HkBKUO7f..

SloveOWizard

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site
I think I figured out my problem. Since I was plugged into my computer, the phone got attached as a media device, so the phone was essentially on for 8 hours, and only gained 2% in battery. I had the same problem, AWAKE for 8 hours straight.

Also, When you first load files onto the SD card, the media server runs, to catalog all your files into a database. Once they are cataloged, it's ok. But that process kills the battery for about 30-40 min till it's done. As long as you don't move files around too much, you shouldn't have to deal with it again.

hansam

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
ah! maybe that's it.. I charged the phone on the computer for 3 days straight, so I really need to charge the phone on the socket and not via usb..

the sd card I put on the device had music files and some images coming off a symbian phone.. will that also make the battery drain?

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
I charge mine on the computer all the time, and I've never noticed the phone wake time being 100%. Follow the advice in post 11, and follow the link in post 2, and load the app suggested in post 15.

We're here to help, but without data we really can't do much.

hansam

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
okay let me clarify things. I come from 100% charge and charged while phone is off. after powering it I leave the phone without touching it. I didn't receive a call or a text message. Wifi is off, mobile data and bluetooth are also off. after 8 hours, battery down to 10%. what can you suggest?

geekymcfly

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
okay let me clarify things. I come from 100% charge and charged while phone is off. after powering it I leave the phone without touching it. I didn't receive a call or a text message. Wifi is off, mobile data and bluetooth are also off. after 8 hours, battery down to 10%. what can you suggest?

Factory reset and maybe new battery

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Android Central Forums