Shop HP’s Memorial Day Sale:Save up to 61% on PCs and more!
    Hi
    I have a Rogers (unrooted) Samsung Galaxy S3 i747. I am tired of having the default Samsung Music App launch every time I plug in headphones. Is there any way I can get Tasker to do this? And if possible, can you post the steps in Tasker to do this as I find Tasker really confusing. Thanks
    03-21-2013 09:48 AM
    What is it that you want to run instead - do you have a 3rd party music app that you want to run?
    Normally, when you first perform an action, like plugging in the headphones, you'll get a prompt to choose the app that you want to be associated with that action. If there's more than one app that has that capability, you'll get a list and when you select one you'll also have to choose between "Always" or "Just once". Obviously, if you choose "Always" you won't be prompted again. It sounds like that's what's happened in this case. If you go into the Apps list and find the Samsung Music App, you can check to see if it's set as the default, and if so you can clear it and then the next time you can choose from whatever pops up in the list.How to get Tasker to kill default Samsung Music App when headphones plugged in on S3 i747-uploadfromtaptalk1363890114527.jpgSent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk 2
    03-21-2013 01:22 PM
    I recently bought the app Music Player (Remix) and would like to use only that app for music and audiobooks (on mp3). I have already (many times) cleared any defaults for the stock Samsung Music Player. I have tried things like App Default Manager of which there is that one and many like it. None work. The Samsung Music App is insidious, like a snake. Just can't get rid of it. I am unable to delete it. Even when I go into settings; application manager; all; ...and choose samsung music player, the disable button is greyed out. I have clicked on Force Stop many times followed by Clear Data which appears to delete all of the app. But as soon as I plug in headphones, it boots up again. I have many times checked for and cleared if necessary any defaults in the app. I have no idea how to disable this app from starting up again. I have even considered rooting, but the drawbacks to that is first of all, I have no idea how to do it and what is involved. How would that affect my phone? Would I still be able to do everything I do now while rooted? Does it appear the same when rooted? I would only root if that is the last resort.
    Thanks
    03-21-2013 02:35 PM
    Sorry, I didn't know you had already tried that.
    I'm not running the stock ROM at the moment, but I thought it used to pop up a list of apps that you could run when you connected the headphones. Perhaps I'm confusing this with my old HTC Thunderbolt (shrugs).
    Anyway, rooting would certainly allow you to change this behavior, and is generally safe, and there lots of threads about how to do it along with a helpful group of people if you run into any problems or have questions.
    With that said, I wouldn't recommend it until we've exhausted all of the normal possibilities. Perhaps someone else that's running the stock ROM will chime in; I could flash back to stock if you don't get any help.
    What carrier/model do you have?

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk 2
    03-21-2013 06:26 PM
    I have CleanROM which I think is close enough to stock. Same situation for the stock Music Player as Macbook5 noted. I double checked to see if I had frozen it with Titanium Backup, but have not. No option to set or clear defaults.

As GSDer suggests, I tried to select a media file from a few File Managers. The 1st I tried is the stock My Files. The 2nd is Root Explorer (images 2-4), which provides a nice "Open With" function. Interestingly enough, Rocket Media Player is what I'm currently using, and its not shown as an option, while the stock Music Player is. The 3rd option was ES File Explorer, which as expected provides an option to play via its built in player.
    Attached Thumbnails How to get Tasker to kill default Samsung Music App when headphones plugged in on S3 i747-screenshot_2013-03-21-19-20-17.png   How to get Tasker to kill default Samsung Music App when headphones plugged in on S3 i747-screenshot_2013-03-21-19-20-55.png   How to get Tasker to kill default Samsung Music App when headphones plugged in on S3 i747-screenshot_2013-03-21-19-21-11.png   How to get Tasker to kill default Samsung Music App when headphones plugged in on S3 i747-screenshot_2013-03-21-19-21-38.png   How to get Tasker to kill default Samsung Music App when headphones plugged in on S3 i747-screenshot_2013-03-21-19-24-01.png  

03-21-2013 07:35 PM
    I have a Rogers Wireless (Canada) SGH- i747M on Android 4.1.1 Baseband Version I747MVLDLK4 Kernel Version 3.0.31-538866 se.infra@SEP-106#1 SMP PREEMPT Tue Nov 20 22:42:27 KST 2012 Build Number JRO03L.I747MVLDLK4

Thanks for all your help so far!!
    03-21-2013 07:35 PM