Galaxy S3 Storage Calculation Issue

Technifibre

Mar 22, 2013
Visit site
When I go into Storage to check Device memory, it doesn't work. It simply stays at "Calculating..." and on Backup Assistant Plus, it says "Failed to retrieve information". I think I may have deleted something important. Like 3 files that had 0kb that was inside sd card file. I could be wrong. Can anyone knowledgeable about this, help me out?

Trees

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
You may have already tried this, but a reboot might help clear up any transient issues or states behind this behavior. Another thought, if you've recently added a bunch of photos, songs, or other media to your phone, it may take a while for the OS to calculate and return results.

SusieQoo

May 13, 2013
Visit site
As you suggest , if it is a rogue file that is causing the constant "computing" notification in BATTERY/ storage setting, how do I isolate & deal with that file?

My original problem was frighteningly fast battery draining.
When I checked battery usage, I noticed that "Package Access Helper" was a huge drain & as I had not seen this notification before I assumed this was the main cause.
I researched on this forum and have tried the following suggestions:
1. Delete cache ( in storage) from each application - would not engage when taped with finger & pen? I think the "computing" process was blocking this? perhaps.
2.Have been to Google Play Store & checked that there is no app still trying to dowwnload/install itself.
3. Have done backup - factory reset - restore.

Have you any other suggestions please? Ta for now :)

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
Let's start from the beginning. I'm not sure what BATTERY / storage setting is. Do you mean the storage option in Settings? Or in Application manager? Or....? Can you take a screen capture?

When it gets stuck on "computing", does it show storage for anything, or just computing for every item? The OP said it failed on a particular app. Is that happening to you?

Do you have an SD card? If so, what happens when you remove it.

Did you check to see if things were working correctly after the factory reset, and before the restore? If you've got a bad app or file, the restore probably just copied it back, with the same problem.

istaylor

Jun 15, 2012
Visit site
I hope you already got this resolved, but I found this thread in my search, so wanted to share the solution on my phone. Same symptoms...in Storage, all sections said Calculating for a minute or longer before it would show the numbers. I wiped my Cache partition from the Recovery menu and it fixed it. Actually, I had tried that a few days earlier, with no improvement, and then ran across a guy who said sometimes you have to do it 5-7 times. So, I tried that, and IT WORKED!! Phone is quick now for some other things, too...clearing cache for an app is much faster now, and SMS scrolling (stock Messaging app) is much faster. I hope this helps!!

nizo_0

Dec 28, 2016
Visit site
all of these are not working friends.In my application manager it is not giving information about free Gbs.. and in all application it is showing 0.0kbs
and i can't download any app due to this.. plz guys help me out :':)':)(