Recently I'm having really bad problems with Google maps... Specifically with navigation. It has me way off on the map. Really annoying since I came from apple to android because of the navigation feature. In order to save battery I always have all location connections off... But I turn them on eight before I use Google maps. Is this a problem that a lot of galaxy s3's are having? Thank you.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums
    04-04-2013 03:24 PM
    First, when you turn on the GPS radio it takes a while for it to find and sync with the 3 or more satellites necessary to locate you in 2 dimensions. So be sure you've given the GPS enough time to get a lock. If you're indoors, getting a lock is really hard, with any GPS.

If the GPS is locked, on the map screen, tap the little compass rose at the top right of the map. This should center the map on your location. Does the map still show you in the wrong location?

Finally, you don't really need to turn the GPS off. On Android 4.0 +, the OS will turn the GPS radio on when it needs it, and off when it doesn't. If you see a compass rose in the notification bar, GPS is on. If you don't the GPS radio is off just as if you had turned it off manually. I leave mine "on" all the time, and GPS is never a significant user of battery unless I've been using Nav. You should make sure the various Google location reporting services are off, though.
    04-04-2013 04:19 PM
    Another suggestion is to purchase a car dock. I never use navigation unless my phone is plugged into a power source. As the above user said, I keep my GPS on all the time. I sync to satellites almost instantly when I use navigation.
    04-04-2013 04:42 PM
    You can also try something like GPS Test: http://market.android.com/details?id...tcross.gpstest - this will allow you to verify that your GPS is working properly before you confuse the issue by trying to use it for navigation purposes. The screen should look something like thisHaving problems with Google navigation-uploadfromtaptalk1365118645801.jpgIf you're having problems getting a good lock on satellites, with the app running, press the Menu button, choose Settings and then make these two selections:Having problems with Google navigation-uploadfromtaptalk1365118787898.jpgThis will clear the almanac and download an updated version.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk 2
    04-04-2013 06:42 PM
    So do I need all three checked on location services? The Verizon location services, standalone GPS services and the Google location services?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums
    04-05-2013 11:14 AM
    Sounds like your phone has different options than my Sprint version, but I'm pretty sure this is true regardless. Checking the GPS box just allows the phone to turn the GPS radio on and get your location that way when a program requests your location. Checking the Google box let's Google use your location when you do web searches so it can return local results. There may other Google programs that use this, too, like Google Now, Field Trip, etc.

I'm not sure what Verizon location services is for. If you're not using any Verizon apps or services that rely on your location, you can probably turn that off. If you try to use a service that needs it, you should get a notification asking you to turn it on. If that happens, you might want to check the Verizon apps to figure out what wants to know your location.

The other location related settings that can use a lot of battery you can find in Settings / Accounts / Google / Maps and Latitude. Unless you actively use Latitude or Google + and want to let everyone know where you are, uncheck the following: Report from this device, Enable location sharing, Automatic Checkins, and Check-in notifications. These will use a lot of battery because they'll keep the GPS radio on.
    04-05-2013 12:48 PM
    I had that problem twice with my Verizon GS3 (it thought I was about 1/4 mile off the road I was on). Rebooting the phone fixed it both times.

Not sure what happened with it that the GPS locked on but still had my position way off.
    04-05-2013 02:59 PM
    Having problems with Google navigation after updating to the latest version. The turn by turn voice direction doesn't work. Uninstalled the update fixed the problem! Anyone having same problem. I have galaxy Nexus 4.2.2
    07-22-2013 01:01 PM
    I used the new maps / nav this morning with no issues at all. Voice worked fine. You did turn media volume up, right?
    07-22-2013 03:08 PM
    New user here using Motorola E with Google maps. Works fine in home city. Travelled today from Bristol to Manchester and turned on maps. Now this was a familiarisation test I know this route really well.The directions kept suggesting diversions at nearly every turn off Stroud, Gloucester.......etc Birmingham - all the way. When I was 20 minutes away from destination it was telling me I was over 2 hours away. It was trying to take me off the motorway (pretty sure I hadn't opted for the no motorway option- the routes suggested seemed to take me back on myself. Should g-maps work ok for long distances?
    06-04-2017 11:03 AM
    I also have similar problems using my Motorola Android phone.

Given that I work in Tech Central San Francisco California I can say with all honesty this is a business sector that cannot simplify or improve its business on any end Google is laughable.

It has countless problems with its navigation and all of the kinds of customer toys that it puts out in the market.

It's well aware of all of these forums which are doing tech support and troubleshooting for them for free..

Knowing full well that they read all of these online condemnations I can honestly say that why would I ever trust a car that they invent the drives itself when they cannot even improve their software programs.

If they cannot drive their own business they sure as hell aren't going to be driving me around town.

The only driving there good at is driving people crazy.
    04-23-2018 12:35 PM