Hi
    I'm new to the forum, so apols if this has already been asked/answered (I did have a little search but found nothing)

I am not sure if this can be done.
    I have recently been taking video footage and want to be able to save it (automatically) to an SD card that I have installed, but there doesn't seem to be anywhere that I can find in settings to change the destination for photos/video.

Is this possible?

Also, the video seems to be limited to 30minutes. Can this be changed to longer by default?

Thanks
    04-05-2013 02:46 PM
    I'm not aware of a way to change the location either. This may be done to ensure the video is written to fast memory. If someone put in a slow SD card it might not keep up with the data stream from the software. But it would be nice if the user could decide.

Regarding the 30 minute limit, are you by any chance using a European spec phone? If so, that limit is due to EU regulation. Any device that can record more than 30 minutes is treated by the EU as a camcorder, rather than a camera (or phone), and subject to much higher duties. If you're not in Europe, it may be that it was easier for Samsung to make it the same for all markets. I've never tried to shoot a video that long.
    petelovegrove likes this.
    04-05-2013 03:27 PM
    My US version (i535) will allow you to save to the extSD card in the VIDEO settings.
    04-05-2013 04:16 PM
    I'm not aware of a way to change the location either. This may be done to ensure the video is written to fast memory. If someone put in a slow SD card it might not keep up with the data stream from the software. But it would be nice if the user could decide.
    I have bought a "class 10" SD card, and according to the sales guy in the store, it is the fastest available.

Regarding the 30 minute limit, are you by any chance using a European spec phone?
    I am in Europe (well, the UK to be precise). I presume that there is no 'work around' or 'get out' of this restriction on the phone..?

I've never tried to shoot a video that long.
    I am using the phone video to record my car journeys (dash-cam style) as we seem to have a spate of cyclists that are wearing helmet-cams recording how the car drivers are causing accidents. I am pre-empting this happening to me and recording things from my view (just in case) to give the judge the wide picture.. So, the point I am trying to make is that most of my journeys in the car are over 30 minutes.. it just frustrates me (and distracts me from the road) when I have to restart the recording.
    04-06-2013 05:49 AM
    My US version (i535) will allow you to save to the extSD card in the VIDEO settings.
    I'm not in the US, however, I have just found the settings that allows me to save to Memory card.

Thanks
    04-06-2013 05:54 AM
    Pete, I'm not aware of a way to override the 30 minute limit, but I'm no expert. Some quality time spent with Google search might turn up something.
    04-06-2013 09:27 AM
    Wouldn't rooting/loading an AOSP ROM allow him to circumvent that restriction? Or are the ROMs for the International versions going to include that same limitation?
    You don't think that 3rd party camera apps will provide a way around it?
    Or perhaps rooting and then editing one of the camera database files might work? I know that there's database entries for stuff like turning off the shutter sound; perhaps there's a setting that enforces this limitation.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk 2
    04-06-2013 07:58 PM
    I looked in feature.xml, where all the camera settings are, and didn't see anything that might address this. But your other suggestions might. It's certainly easy enough to try another camera app and see, but if the limitatation is in the firmware that might not help. An AOSP ROM just might be the answer.
    04-06-2013 11:59 PM
    You don't think that 3rd party camera apps will provide a way around it?
    Do you have any suggestions? What do you use? Is it any good?
    I have searched on the play store and there are hundreds to choose from, and have no idea. There are almost 'too many' to choose from, it makes choosing difficult.

Some quality time spent with Google search might turn up something
    I think this will be my next best option (other than trying another camera app).

An AOSP ROM just might be the answer.
    rooting/loading an AOSP ROM
    Not entirely sure what you guys just said, lol, more googling on my part required on that I think.

Thanks to all though
    04-07-2013 05:26 AM
    Can you tell me where that setting is?

- - - Updated - - -

I'm not in the US, however, I have just found the settings that allows me to save to Memory card.

Thanks
    Can you tell us where that setting is? I can't find it.
    05-25-2013 02:23 PM