Hello,

I am looking into purchasing a Galaxy S3, full retail price, in order to preserve my unlimited plan with Verizon. I have a contact in Germany, employed at T-Mobile, who can get me the SIII GT-I9300 at an employee discount. I am on board to get it, however I am concerned about whether Verizon will let me activate and use this phone in the US or not. My German contact talked to a service clerk who said it will work in the US, however I'm not so sure about the legality of it and whatever tricks Verizon might have up their sleeves.

Also, I read something about it being a "GSM" phone and not working on Verizon because it uses "CDMA." Is this true? Does that mean this option is totally out??

Sorry if I sound like a newbie about this! I don't know much about the smartphone world.

Thanks
    04-18-2013 02:12 PM
    Verizon does work on CDMA so that would be a no go.
    04-18-2013 02:44 PM
    What are my other options? Lose my unlimited data plan/pay outright for a more expensive phone that is inferior just to stick with Verizon?

I was thinking of switching to a T-Mobile plan..... Don't know if it would be worth it just to get a new (albeit much better) phone.
    04-18-2013 02:55 PM
    Check out this thread http://forums.androidcentral.com/ver...a-verizon.html it should give you all the info you need.
    04-18-2013 03:02 PM
    Check out this thread http://forums.androidcentral.com/ver...a-verizon.html it should give you all the info you need.
    Thanks, I was aware of this but unsure if it was still working. Last I heard, people were facing the possibility Verizon would take their phones away and less stores are doing this for customers.
    04-18-2013 03:07 PM
    I have a guy I work with that has an S3 he wants to sell for $400. It comes with a ton of accessories. Extra batteries, extended battery, and four or five cases and holsters. Let me know if you are interested. You will not need to do anything with your contract at all.
    04-18-2013 03:37 PM
    I have a guy I work with that has an S3 he wants to sell for $400. It comes with a ton of accessories. Extra batteries, extended battery, and four or five cases and holsters. Let me know if you are interested. You will not need to do anything with your contract at all.
    Thank you, but I really want to get a new phone with a warranty.
    04-18-2013 04:12 PM
    Unfortunately you cannot buy outside phones and use it on cdma network (Verizon & Sprint). They don't work the same way as gsm phones. You either have to buy a use phone or pay through the nose with Verizon.
    This is the reason I left Verizon and Sprint. Your phone choices are so limited.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 2
    paul-c and skaista93 like this.
    04-18-2013 07:24 PM
    Unfortunately you cannot buy outside phones and use it on cdma network (Verizon & Sprint). They don't work the same way as gsm phones. You either have to buy a use phone or pay through the nose with Verizon.
    This is the reason I left Verizon and Sprint. Your phone choices are so limited.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 2
    I think Verizon just lost another customer.
    04-18-2013 08:55 PM
    Thanks, I was aware of this but unsure if it was still working. Last I heard, people were facing the possibility Verizon would take their phones away and less stores are doing this for customers.
    Just did this yesterday with my wive's phone, got the phone in the store on my step son's line (not unlimited) then as soon as I got home put his old phone back on his and the new phone on my wive's via the internet. Worked perfect and she still has unlimited.
    skaista93 likes this.
    04-22-2013 04:22 PM