Ive heard that even though you close the apps, it keeps on running in the background and pressing on the home button shows which apps are running. I was wondering if sliding the apps closes the apps from running in the background?

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Android Central Forums
    04-25-2013 05:55 PM
    A couple of things:

When you say "you close the apps" how are you doing that? Pressing the home button doesn't close them. Android is a multi-tasking OS, and is designed to keep multiple apps in memory. To close an app you need to either (1) select a "quit," "exit" or similar option for the app's menu, or pressing the back button repeatedly until you're back at the home screen. And even that might not close some apps.

Most apps, even if they're "running", aren't really using CPU or battery. They're simply resident in memory, ready in case you want to access them again. If you download the free version of System Panel from the play store, you can see that while there are lots of "active" apps, they're not using any CPU.

But to answer your question, yes. You can check this yourself. When you long press on the home button, notice the menu that appears at the bottom. Click on the pie chart, and it will show you all the apps that are actually running. Now long press the home button again and swipe away one of those active apps, then tap the pie chart again. The app you swyped away should be gone.
    04-25-2013 07:26 PM
    If meyer does not mind I would like to chime in here as I know quite a bit about this as there are many parallels here from iOS (iPhone). There are many of the same the crosses platforms and this is one.

When on an iPhone and you hit the home button the quick launch pops open showing you apps you have used but much like Android they actually go into a dormant state after 10 mins or sleep so to speak not using battery or CPU just like meyer said. To get rid of them on iOS you just hold one down until they all wiggle and then at the X you knock or close them one by one same as the swipe.

Except for a very few like maybe email you have no fear of leaving these apps alone unless like me sometimes and I get anal and close them all.... Either way hit your home button and quick launch something you already used and don't worry about them.

Thank you meyer for letting me post over you.
    04-25-2013 08:44 PM