[HELP] Dropped my Samsung Galaxy S3 in water.

Ylidjednas

Apr 28, 2013
Visit site
Hello, i just dropped my Samsung Galaxy S3 in the water. The phone were working properly earlier, took all of the water out and it were still working. The suddenly random noise came from it and it got turned off. The it randomly started and i got into "Factory Mode" on it, it were downloading. Now it's completely black it's not working. Have no clue what the issue is or how to solve it. Please help me out!

Last edited by a moderator:

tat21985

Oct 26, 2012
Visit site
Re: [HELP}Dropped my Samsung Galaxy S3 in water.

It would best for you to not press anymore buttons, do not try to operate the phone AT ALL! Remove the back of the phone, remove the battery then take the three pieces you now have, and put them in a sealable container with rice.. Hopefully the water hasn't inflicted too much damage.. Leave the phone alone in the rice for at least 48 hours, as it'll give the rice time to absorb the moisture from the phone.

GTWalling

May 18, 2011
Visit site

The above may not work based on your description of what happened. If you have insurance (not warranty) you should make a claim. If no insurance it may be cheaper to buy another phone than to pay for getting that one repaired.

Ylidjednas

Apr 28, 2013
Visit site

The above may not work based on your description of what happened. If you have insurance (not warranty) you should make a claim. If no insurance it may be cheaper to buy another phone than to pay for getting that one repaired.

Got an extra phone at home if it doesnt work. No insurance or warranty, i were reading on another website that it might be the motherboard and that will probably cost a lot.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site

Water problems can be very weird. Sometimes a little water will kill a phone, other times they'll recover from a real soaking. My son's iPod touch got wet, and wouldn't charge or hold a charge, but over a period of months it eventually recovered and worked fine. For future reference, when you dunk a phone you should immediately pull the battery and not try to use the phone until it's been thoroughly dried out. If the rice trick doesn't work, there's probably not much you can do. If you've got another phone, I'd leave the wet phone in the rice for as long as possible, even as long as a week.

Ylidjednas

Apr 28, 2013
Visit site

Water problems can be very weird. Sometimes a little water will kill a phone, other times they'll recover from a real soaking. My son's iPod touch got wet, and wouldn't charge or hold a charge, but over a period of months it eventually recovered and worked fine. For future reference, when you dunk a phone you should immediately pull the battery and not try to use the phone until it's been thoroughly dried out. If the rice trick doesn't work, there's probably not much you can do. If you've got another phone, I'd leave the wet phone in the rice for as long as possible, even as long as a week.

Yeah, i will leave it there until it works hehe :)

The WheelMan

Apr 2, 2013
Visit site

Didn't know about it until the phone went black :/, if it doesnt work i guess i can send it in really.

Sorry, but I don't understand your meaning? You didn't know you had dropped it in the water? What I meant was that the very first thing you should alwats do when your phone gets wet is put it in a bag with some rice or those dry packs (I forget what they are called?). You should never use the phone or turn it on until you are sure it has dried out.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site

Sorry, but I don't understand your meaning? You didn't know you had dropped it in the water? What I meant was that the very first thing you should alwats do when your phone gets wet is put it in a bag with some rice or those dry packs (I forget what they are called?). You should never use the phone or turn it on until you are sure it has dried out.

He's saying he didn't know that's what you should do with a phone when it gets wet.

CaneToad

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site

If it was fresh water then immediately remove the battery and drop it in a dish of Methylated spirits overnight,then take it out and leave it to dry naturally. If it was salt water get a new phone

wjmg1960

Mar 2, 2012
Visit site

Alas....my phone too fell into water and I quickly retreived it. Opened up the back, took out the batter, the sim and sd cards then dried it with a soft, absorbant cloth. seemed the phone was comepletely dry so I put it back together, turned it on and it did come on. I also noticed the graphics were breaking up and the start up music was broken up. I took everything apart again, put it in rice and waited 15 hours before trying again. The 2nd time was a bit better, graphics were perfect but when I placed a call to a friend I could hear her but it was broken up and she said the same about my voice. Soooooo.....I took it apart again (11:30 PM) and this time I will just leave it in the rice for a few days. Does anyone have any ideas or opinions? I see all of the notes here and it looks like it should take a few days? Do you think there's hope for the phone? Just a bummer because I had it less than a week and I bought it at almost full price. I have insurance but it does not cover accidents. Surely if pursued it through them, they will see that water changed the little sticker. Thanks for any thoughts or opinions

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site

There's really no way to predict what's going to happen. But yes, it could continue to improve given more time to dry out. The fact that it works at all is a good sign, as the electronics are probably not damaged. The breaking up of sound could be because the speaker and mic got wet, and haven't completely dried out. It's also possible they were damaged when you tried to use it while wet.

For anyone who reads this, simply wiping the water you can see with a towel accomplishes nearly nothing. The issue is with the water that's gotten in to all the places you can't see, the wet speaker and microphone, and the LCD. Give the phone plenty of time to dry out before you try to use it again.

And yes, the phone certainly has moisture sensors, and that's one of the first things your carrier / Samsung will check it you return it for repair or replacement.

wjmg1960

Mar 2, 2012
Visit site

Thanks meyerweb, as it turns out, the phone came back to life good as new but for the moisture stickers! I let it stay in the rice and some anti-moisture packs a friend gave to me for 1.5 days, I used a can of air to blow into all of the openings, put everything together and it worked! So far I really like this phone and I hope we have a long (by cell phone standards) relationship! Thanks for your help

Treena Benyon

May 22, 2013
Visit site

Dropped my samsung s3 in water and took it out and put it in rice took it out after 5 mins dried it off and put it back together again and it was working fine. Then put it on the charger and now saying in factory mode and downloading, Don't know what this means and if this is a bad sign?

SamHutch2

May 24, 2013
Visit site

Probably because you only left it in for 5 minutes, usually at least 48 hours is recommended in the rice! :)

FishenFool

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site

Thanks meyerweb, as it turns out, the phone came back to life good as new but for the moisture stickers! I let it stay in the rice and some anti-moisture packs a friend gave to me for 1.5 days, I used a can of air to blow into all of the openings, put everything together and it worked! So far I really like this phone and I hope we have a long (by cell phone standards) relationship! Thanks for your help

It is also better to use a speciality vacuum like a keyboard vac rather than compressed air because then you are sucking water out rather than possibly blowing it deeper into cracks and crevices.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site

Probably because you only left it in for 5 minutes, usually at least 48 hours is recommended in the rice! :)

+1 5 minutes won't do anything. It may be too late, but pull the battery out, stick everything in a sealed container of rice, and resist the temptation to open it up for at least 2 days. Then see what happens.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Puiman