I'm posting this in the HTC One forum, the Galaxy S4 forum, and the S3 forum.

My son just upgraded his HTC Evo 4G. Since I'm the phone geek (and he's on my business account), he asked me to go with him. We both took a close look at the One, the S4, and the S3. I made a point of comparing the "feel" of each of them. My take:

The htc is much lighter than I expected. The S4 packs an amazing amount of screen in a package the same size as the S3. But I think it looks funny with the various sensors above the screen squeezed so close to the top of the phone. Whatever, I don't really buy my phone for looks.

What about that "feel," you ask? Well, I was a bit surprised. To be perfectly honest, they all three feel......... like phones. The htc doesn't feel like a bank vault, the S3 doesn't feel like it's going to fall to pieces the first time I drop it on the floor. I have fairly small hands, but I could easily hold all of them. The button layout on the htc is a bit awkward, but nothing I wouldn't get used to. The biggest difference is that the S3 is too slippery, the S4 not quite as much. This is the one area I felt the htc superior, but not by a huge amount. Put a case on them, and the differences go away.

Indoors, all three screens are fine. All three of them are fast and smooth. I noticed no real lag on any of them, and since I'd likely put Nova launcher on the S4, (and probably the htc), any lag caused by Touchwiz would be a non-issue. I do think htc's changes to vanilla Android are a bit strange and counter-intuitive, while Samsung's tweaks are less strange but more complex. Most of the new features of the S4 I probably wouldn't use much, and I can't say there's any single feature of the One that floors me, either.

My son's decision? For his needs, neither of the new phones is worth the price premium over the S3. Especially not the S4, at $250 vs. $200 for the One and $99 for the S3. I think I'd reach the same conclusion if I were upgrading today. Until Google introduces a new version of Android with some truly significant new features, today's phones are more similar than they are different. The current generation of Android phones are a pretty mature product, and efforts to differentiate them amount to details around the edges, not fundamental distinctions.

My 2 cents worth.....
    04-28-2013 03:46 PM
    Should have gotten the s4,unless he plans on rooting his s3,he'll be stuck on 4.1 for a long while

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums
    geekymcfly likes this.
    04-28-2013 05:13 PM
    For what he does with his phone, I doubt he'd really notice the difference. He's a user, not a hobbyist.

And I think we'll get 4.2 sooner than you think.
    keekah likes this.
    04-28-2013 05:40 PM
    I can't believe YOU didn't get the S4 and give him your used S3 - that way the user gets appropriate technology, and the hobbyist gets the latest and greatest!
    Well, that's what I would have done...

Thanks for the comparative hands on - the S4 & HTC One will be old news by the time Verizon releases its stranglehold on my contract.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk 2
    geekymcfly likes this.
    04-29-2013 01:36 AM
    For what he does with his phone, I doubt he'd really notice the difference. He's a user, not a hobbyist.

And I think we'll get 4.2 sooner than you think.
    Oh ok

04-29-2013 06:23 AM
    Should have gotten the s4,unless he plans on rooting his s3,he'll be stuck on 4.1 for a long while

Omg not stuck on 4.1! Not everyone cares that they aren't on the newest os of android. I know i have a family to take care of and have more important things to worry about than the newest os
    04-29-2013 06:33 AM
    I can't believe YOU didn't get the S4 and give him your used S3 - that way the user gets appropriate technology, and the hobbyist gets the latest and greatest!

Thanks for the comparative hands on - the S4 & HTC One will be old news by the time Verizon releases its stranglehold on my contract.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk 2
    In all honesty, I didn't see anything about the S4 that really wowed me, either. I've got my S3 rooted, ROM'd and configured just how I want it. I don't really want to start all over, wait for ROMs to be developed and debugged, etc.
    04-29-2013 09:32 AM
    Omg not stuck on 4.1! Not everyone cares that they aren't on the newest os of android. I know i have a family to take care of and have more important things to worry about than the newest os
    Guess the difference between a 250$ phone and a 99$ one would he a huge financial risk for you

I was just getting at the software side of things, but your 'I have a family to take care of' shows that price is the big issue here

04-29-2013 10:45 AM
    I actually am getting 2 galaxy s3 tomorrow for $25 total :-)
    04-29-2013 12:25 PM
    I actually am getting 2 galaxy s3 tomorrow for $25 total :-)
    Wow, nice

Be sure to root it and flash a 4.2.2 rom

04-29-2013 12:49 PM
    Or just use it as is, with 4.1.2. It really is a pretty great phone already.
    04-29-2013 01:17 PM

He didn't get a used s3 his son bought a new s3. He still got his s3.

Sent from my Sprint Galaxy Nexus rockin 4.2.2 using Tapatalk 2
    04-29-2013 01:40 PM
    Though hearing the one is a hell of a phone which I would love Verizon to get

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
    04-29-2013 09:34 PM
    Though hearing the one is a hell of a phone which I would love Verizon to get

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
    Me personally, I like the phone, but I couldn't live without a removable battery, just not possible for me with my usage needs

I really hate that companies are moving toward non removable batteries, people need to either be able to expand their battery capacity or swap batteries. With smart phones, people need to get through a full work day with data usage and get home with at least 30-40% left to spare for the trip home

If I had a phone with non removable storage, i couldn't get through a day. I remember when I had the stock battery, i charged my phone 2-3 times a day, and that was just on wifi alone

Now with my 7000mAh Battery, i get through a full day and a half of heavy usage, before I even consider putting my phone to charge

How do u guys feel about removable storage on phones? Is it a necessity for you? Or can you live without it?

04-29-2013 10:04 PM
    I could live without it, but I definitely prefer having the ability to expand storage with an SD card. In another generation or two, when the base storage for these phones is 64 GB, it might not matter.
    04-29-2013 10:40 PM
    I could live without it, but I definitely prefer having the ability to expand storage with an SD card. In another generation or two, when the base storage for these phones is 64 GB, it might not matter.
    On the sd card part, I could do without expandable memory, all I really need is about 32 gbs to be honest

Even my Nexus 7, which is 32 gb has about 7 gb of storage left. 32 gb is enough for my needs

I don't store music on my devices, i just store podcasts and use Google music streaming to play music, so all my storage is pretty much taken up by podcasts and apps and games

04-30-2013 12:02 AM