screen brightness/ auto setting

dmarcus48

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
I want to clarify something for myself. on screen brightness there's the adjustment bar and then the checkbox for " auto". does the auto setting override the brightness bar setting?

tat21985

Oct 26, 2012
Visit site
Auto brightness is an option that allows the phone's sensors to detect ambient light, and then adjust the screen brightness accordingly. I can't think of a source off the top of my head, but it has been shown to cause wakelocks, which the drain the battery.. It doesn't override what you have set as the brightness on the slider, the brightest it will get is however high you set it. It's all a matter of personal opinion, but when I'm walking around my house and texting or whatever, I'd prefer it if my screen didn't strobe every four steps..

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
Auto brightness is an option that allows the phone's sensors to detect ambient light, and then adjust the screen brightness accordingly. I can't think of a source off the top of my head, but it has been shown to cause wakelocks, which the drain the battery..

I've never experienced that. The only issue I have with auto brightness is that it often sets the screen brighter than needed, which uses more battery power.

It doesn't override what you have set as the brightness on the slider, the brightest it will get is however high you set it.

That's not correct. I just checked on my S3. With the slider set to about 20%, turning on auto brightness makes the screen much brighter, and the slider moves to the right all by itself. . Turning off auto lets the screen go back to the dimmer setting I have manually set. So to answer the OP, yes, the Auto setting overrides whatever you've set on the slider. You can verify it yourself as I did.