I tried to pack as many key phrases into the title as possible to sum up my question.

Essentially my SPRINT GS3 has started having some pretty noticeable battery drain over the last month (wish I could pin it down more, but wasn't really paying attention for awhile). I've perused the forums for hints, and I've implemented most of them (wish I could list them all, but I don't remember 'em now.) to little luck (or its made it worse). I've watched to see what aps are popping up the most on battery drain (google processes out of nowhere has become my biggest culprit), and I've even downloaded a Wake Lock Detector to see if anything is keeping it up (nothing aside from the *system* apk of google processes, again). It seems the next level of advice is to Factory Reset and see if that clears up my issue. Ok. I can do that. But here is where my question comes in.

I'm ROOTed, and I am setting up a nandroid backup of my current phone layout. If I factory reset in an attempt to get my battery back to the beautiful level it used to be at (I used to go all day on less than 50% battery - maybe 18 hours or so. Now I drain it completely in about 12), and then I restore using NANDROID will that just restore the battery drain issue also? I'm worried about going through all this and then restoring and then finding out I just restored whatever was causing the problem. Or am I just being paranoid? Is there a step I'm missing that would help prevent this from occurring (I plan to wipe Dalvik and cache, too)?

Any advice in this area would be most greatly appreciated. I just want to get my battery back and my phone operating at its optimum level.

One more thing. I believe I read somewhere that you shouldn't factory reset the normal way (through settings) if you are rooted. I've never had to factory reset since I've been rooted. Did I misread something? Is there another (safer?) way to do it (through TB?)?

Thanks.
    K--
    05-02-2013 10:05 PM
    Before doing a factory reset, take a look at this post. It may help you determine the actual process that's causing the issue. http://forums.androidcentral.com/sam...ery-check.html

A question, though: is there any chance battery drain has increased because your usage has changed: More time in weak signal areas, more use of GPS, or Facebook, or anything else that might use radios or CPU? Is your screen on time the same as it used to be? Are you on the stock ROM, or a custom one?

Interesting question about the Nandroid. I never really thought about that. I think it may depend on exactly what the problem is, but it's possible that you'd simply restore the same issue. If you haven't already, I'd invest in Titanium Backup Pro, and restore all your apps and settings that way, too. If the issue returns after a Nandroid restore, then just factory reset again and use TiB to restore your apps and their data.

I think a Factory reset is the same no matter how you start it. I usually do it from recovery. If you've got TiB, choose the reboot option from the menu, and choose recovery, then choose factory reset from there.
    05-02-2013 10:21 PM
    Thanks for the tip. Well I activated the monitoring feature on my phone and watched it for a day. No luck with any of the known bugs. I never saw QOSMGR or the daemon one mentioned in other threads. My highest ones were system_server and google processes, and I googled them with little luck. I'm moving to the reset today. And thanks for the hint about TI, but I had already purchased that backed up my apps and data.

Here's my next question, though: What order do I properly do things?

1. Factory reset
    2. Wipe Dalvik and cache
    3. re-download TI from the store
    4. Reload the nandroid from the TI menu
    5. If I do a nandroid, do I even need to do the TI restore? Won't nandroid take care of that?

Any steps I'm missing (aside for waiting as each app runs its business)?

Thanks
    K--
    05-04-2013 09:52 AM
    If you are doing a Factory Reset to help with a problem, restoring a Nandroid may put the problem right back on the phone. You should instead use Titanium Backup to back up your apps. Do a Screen shot of all your Home screens and then Factory reset. Once back up and set up with Google again download Titanium Backup again and restore your apps without DATA and use the Screen Shots to put the Apps back on the Home Screens.
    05-04-2013 08:49 PM
    It won't hurt to try the Nandroid restore first. If it doesn't work, you can reset and then restore from TiB. I always do the Nandroid restore from recovery; you don't need to install TiB first.
    05-04-2013 09:21 PM