how to transfer files from galaxy s3 with broken screen.

sergio mejia

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
I had the same problem, but instead of an s3 I had a note 3. Dropped my phone and the screen blacked out and I had a lock on it so I couldn't retrieve any of my files. I plugged it into my laptop and it recognized my phone but did not show any files. I searched through many forums trying to find a way to save my pics and vids and had no luck finding anything that worked. I gave Samsung a call and it actually turned out to be pretty simple. Just go to Samsung.com and in the search bar type in the model of your phone which is usually found on the back of your phone when removing the battery. For example, my model is SM-N900T, which is the Galaxy Note 3 for T Mobile. Then when you do that a picture of your phone will come up along with the carrier. Go ahead and click on it and scroll down to the "FAQ&How to guides." Once you do that it will take you to another page where you will see your phone and tabs that say Support Overview, Manuals, Downloads, FAQs, and etc. Click on the "Downloads" tab and then you're going to want to download a Driver. It'll give you a couple of drivers to choose from, but I just chose the latest version. Once you download and run that, you're gonna want to plug in your device to your computer and go to "my computer." Click on the icon of your device and all of your files should show up. Then what I did was just save all my pics and videos to my computer and transferred them to my new device. Now I have all my pictures and videos that were so precious to me. I hope that this works for you:)

rmissingham

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
I have tried everything to transfer the data on to my computer. Is there a way to switch the connection mode to Media Device without accessing the samsung GSIII? I am a Mac user so please any recommendations for Mac user. I currently have Smart Switch and Kies on my computer but both requires Media Device to allow me to transfer the files.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Welcome to the forums!
I currently have Smart Switch and Kies on my computer but both requires Media Device to allow me to transfer the files.
My phone normally defaults MTP mode; perhaps that's because I never use PTP mode.

Anyway, at a minimum you should be able to use Kies to perform a backup, regardless of the mode the phone is in (the screen has to be unlocked of course).

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk

UzyFuzz

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
Go onto the Samsung website and click the 'find my phone' button (or simply google this).

Log in and there will be an option on the left hand side of the screen to unlock your screen remotely, click this and when the progress bar filled it will say 'your phone is now unlocked'.

Wow - this is so great! Thanks a lot - it helped me!!!

Once the phones was unlocked - even without Kies - I was able to pull all my files via the USB cable!

Daine Wendt

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
Find My Mobile | Samsung Content & Services

If trying to get contacts for another device back up the contacts go to the folder in which they are backed up generally documents/Samsung/backup/(yourdevice)/(yourdeviceagain)/(threefolders one of these 3 folders contains a contacts.spb close kies 3 and open this folder with kies 2.6 it will now display the contacts export these in kies 2.6 as vcf files in a new folder then transfer that to your new device

Last edited by a moderator:

lvflowerbomb

Aug 7, 2014
Visit site
My phone just shut off and will not turn on. I need a miracleee please!!!

I put a new battery and still, i opened up the phone and the mother board is fine. Dont know what else to do. I neeedddd to take out the data that was stored in the phones internal memory. When i plug it in with a usb the light turnes on orange and after a minute shuts off. Its not register onto samsung find my phone so i can even unlock it that way. Helpppp immmmmmmmm going nutss!!!

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Welcome to the forums!
what if i had wifi of on my device can i switch it on somehow?
You're going to have to be a little more specific - what is the problem?
Is the screen on your Note 2 broken?
Does the device seem to power on (i.e. you hear the normal boot up audio)?
If you connect the device to your computer is it recognized?
Was there a password on the lockscreen?

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk

Grace Lew

Aug 18, 2014
Visit site
Hi,

Kies will not let you access your phone unless you unlock the screen on the device, this can be done relatively easily!

Go onto the Samsung website and click the 'find my phone' button (or simply google this).

Log in and there will be an option on the left hand side of the screen to unlock your screen remotely, click this and when the progress bar filled it will say 'your phone is now unlocked'.

Connect with your USB Cable and Kies will allow you access to your files.

I hope this helps, if not let me know and I will try to explain further.

mbell1988

Posted via Android Central App

Hi,
the problem is i turn off GPS on my Note2 and i unable to unlock my phone by using 'FindMyPhone'
Anything else could unlock my phone? i only wish to retrieve the photos saved in phone memory (not SD Card)

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Hello and welcome to the forums!
i unable to unlock my phone by using 'FindMyPhone'
Anything else could unlock my phone? i only wish to retrieve the photos saved in phone memory (not SD Card)
If you replace the screen then obviously you could use the normal unlock mechanism.

There may be a dock similar to what's available for the S3 http://www.amazon.com/dp/B009QW3TBK...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU3841054 that will allow you to connect to a TV/monitor along with a mouse/keyboard for navigation.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
w8wca