I have been battling with my GS3 for a while now. Im running Android 4.1.2. At first it was sporadic, but now seems to be happening more often. I am having long periods of time where the phone is staying awake without the screen on, this is also happening almost every time I charge the phone. Its getting highly annoying. Used to be a battery pull would solve the problem, now that doesnt work. Any ideas what could be causing this? I downloaded the Spare Parts app, but that has proven to be fairly useless.

I unplugged the phone from the charger, because while it was charging overnight it was still awake the whole time. Awesome. So I turned back the clock and went Blackberry on the thing, aka battery pull. The battery drop in the picture is pretty catastrophic.from 100% to the mid 40s in 7 hours. During this time the screen was on for just 9 minutes. Android OS was the top killer, 28%, awake for 1 hour and 12 minutes. Phone checked in at #2, 19%, awake for 36 minutes, which is especially impressive considering I havent made or received 1 phone call all day. Device Idle and Cell Standby tied for 3rd, with 10%. Then at 5th place, 7%, is my 9 minutes when the screen was on. I should mention Im on WiFi all day long, save for my five minute drive to the office. Any ideas what could be causing this?

phone staying awake constantly, even while charging-screenshot_2013-05-07-17-00-19.png
    05-07-2013 04:19 PM
    Any background process, like email or Faceplant syncing, location services, etc. will wake the phone. What I see in the screen capture looks a lot like mine. Awake doesn't mean you're using it, it means something on the phone is active. You can load Wakelock Detector to see what is going on:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...2RldGVjdG9yIl0.

System Panel will show you what apps and processes are using cpu, which can be a useful tool, too:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...N0ZW1wYW5lbCJd (the system monitor function of the paid version is well worth the price if you find you're having issues you simply can't figure out.)
    GSDer and kj11 like this.
    05-07-2013 10:12 PM
    I have this now and then but not consistently. It is android system and Google maps. I have found that uninstalling the Google maps updates, then reinstalling the latest version , fixes the problem. It also helps to turn off auto location updates on Google maps.

Posted via Android Central App
    05-08-2013 02:07 AM
    I get this too pretty randomly. I find that when I'm in a bad connection area the phone seems to be awake in these short spurts. Looks like maybe something is trying to sync and the bad connection is not letting it. My phone also has what your phone shows when it Charges it has those many short awake periods. Not all the time but 70 percwnt of the time. I don't really sweat it because the phone charges pretty darn quick.

You're not alone. I used better battery stats to get the awake times and didn't see any one thing. I sync facebook, twitter and espn scorecenter and bleacher report team stream pull system resources to give real time info.

Posted via Android Central App
    05-08-2013 10:46 AM
    Anything that syncs will wake the phone when it does.
    05-08-2013 09:59 PM