Camera question***6mp VS 8mp?!

ttwiitch

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
I've had this question for a while but nvr bothered to post it up.....

I use my camera with the 6mp setting since week one that I bought my phone in December. I don't like to have it under 8mp because then its not full screen. Is there a way to change this and make the phone take pictures under the 8mp but at full screen?! 6mp lacks sharpness.... Although its very rare and mainly under poor light, it still bothers me....

Hopefully no root required :confused:

Sent from my Galaxy S3?

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
How are you viewing it that it's not full screen? I just took a shot at 6 MP, and when I view it in the gallery it shows up as full screen. Even at 6 MP the resolution of the image is still much greater than the resolution of the screen.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
Your post says exactly the opposite: "I don't like to have it under 8mp because then its not full screen"

Anyway, the issue is with the aspect ratio (the ratio between width and height. At full resolution, the aspect ratio of the camera is 4:3. the screen aspect ratio is 16:9. So to display a 4:3 image on the 16:9 screen you need to either leave bands at the top and bottom, or crop some of the picture off the sides. The latter is exactly what the 6 MP format does.

ttwiitch

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
Your post says exactly the opposite: "I don't like to have it under 8mp because then its not full screen"

Anyway, the issue is with the aspect ratio (the ratio between width and height. At full resolution, the aspect ratio of the camera is 4:3. the screen aspect ratio is 16:9. So to display a 4:3 image on the 16:9 screen you need to either leave bands at the top and bottom, or crop some of the picture off the sides. The latter is exactly what the 6 MP format does.

Lol well yea I don't have it under the 8mp because its not full screen, but I would of like it to.

Thanks, guess I can't have 'em both, full screen 8mp :-(

Sent from my Galaxy S3?

AxlMyk

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
Answer the question.
How are you viewing the pictures?

I can set my camera to the lowest resolution and see them full screen using gallery.
I keep my camera set at 1280x720.

--Tapatalk on SGS3.

ttwiitch

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
I dont want to have it that low. I would like the highest but it won't be full screen....

Sent from my Galaxy S3?

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1368387251578.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1368387251578.jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 18

jamesino

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
I am so lost. Both 8 mp and 6 mp should be greater than the resolution of the screen. It's not the same aspect ratio however, so you'll have to cut some parts off if you want it to fill up the entire screen.

gabbott

Trusted Member
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
For the OP, think of it this way, the camera sensor when using all the pixels (in the case of this specific camera, 8mp) has an aspect ratio of 4:3.

Your phone has an aspect ratio of 16:9. The only way to take pictures from a camera sensor that is 4:3 and make the resulting camera picture to be 16:9 to match your screen ratio is to not use it's full resolution.

Also note, that in the photography world, 4:3 is the standard aspect ratio.

gabbott

Trusted Member
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
No in the photography world 3:2 is the standard aspect ratio. Look at sensor formats of the 35mm film and DSLRs.

Bah you are absolutely correct and what I meant to type in my last paragraph but looking at 4:3 and 16:9 as I was typing I apparently kept with it.