Spring Galaxy S3 Battery Life

sonianetworks

May 9, 2013
Visit site
I replaced my old Samsung Galaxy S3 for a new one because the battery life on the old one was horrible.
Now that I got the replacement, I am still facing the same issues.
The first two days, it was fine, life battery lasted all day.
And now it's drained and I am not sure what can be the cause of this.

junglejunkie

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
What is "horrible?" Battery life is VERY subjective. It depends on many factors:
1. Signal strength
2. Network type (4G & LTE are ROUGH on battery life)
2. Amount of widgets
3. Number of accounts and how often they sync
4. Screen brightness
5. Usage (duh)

There is probably some that I left out, but that should get you off to a start.

Look at your battery stats. How many hours of screen on time are you getting? How many minutes of calls?

There are some battery life threads around you can compare your stats with.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
Yeah, it's pretty hard to comment or offer suggestions when we have no data.

At a minimum, do some screen captures and post them here so we can have something to go on. Start with the battery stats screen (Settings / Battery). Then tap on the graph at the top of that screen, and do a capture of the page that appears. Go back to the battery stats page, tap the Display row, and capture that screen, too.

When you post them here, we can start trying to diagnose.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
In case you're better with pictures, here's what we're looking for:uploadfromtaptalk1368155950335.jpguploadfromtaptalk1368155968763.jpguploadfromtaptalk1368155979891.jpgSent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk 2

blizzock

May 24, 2013
Visit site
What should be the average battery life on the galaxy s3? I'm getting about 5 hours with minimum apps running. Talk time varies.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
There are so man things that can affect battery life it's really hard to make any predictions about what you should expect. Even so, 5 hours seems very short. Take a look at this thread as a starting point: http://forums.androidcentral.com/samsung-galaxy-s3/278622-battery-life-tips-myths.html . It'll give you some things to check.

Charge your phone to 100%, use it normally until the battery gets down around 50%, and then do the screen captures GSDer shows above, and post those here. Without data, we really can't offer any specific suggestions.

Tonedown03

Jun 3, 2013
Visit site
I purchased a battery from eBay $10, now my battery will last all day 《95%》
2750mAH compared to Samsung's 2100mAh.

Posted via Android Central App

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
I purchased a battery from eBay $10, now my battery will last all day 《95%》
2750mAH compared to Samsung's 2100mAh.

Posted via Android Central App

I'm using a 7000mah :cool:

Sent from my Sprint Samsung Galaxy s3 with a 7000mah extended battery... Because I'm not a chick with dainty hands or an HTC one user :p

chasj77

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site
Re: Spring Galaxy S3 Battery Life, or lack thereof!

What a garbage phone! I had an Gal SII and it was perfect. . . .but no Jelly-Bean. On my busiest day, it rarely dipped below 50%.
Today, like others, it is below 50% WITHOUT using it except to check mail, AND it was at 100%!
My SII would be in the high 90 % range!!!
I have contacted Samsung and a manager (woman, errrr) said to almost turn all the features off. Why do I need a smartphone!
I asked is the S4 a solution . . . she said no.
Can anyone help me before I really rattle AT&T's cage?
Many thanks - Charles in Dallas

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Aug 20, 2010
Visit site

What a garbage phone! I had an Gal SII and it was perfect. . . .but no Jelly-Bean. On my busiest day, it rarely dipped below 50%.
Today, like others, it is below 50% WITHOUT using it except to check mail, AND it was at 100%!
I have contacted Samsung and a manager (woman, errrr) said to almost turn all the features off. Why do I need a smartphone!

Maybe a setting, like something is syncing too often. I have both an SGS2 and SGS3 and both have similar (very good) battery life.

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site

You bought a phone with a removable back cover..

Figure out the next step from there

Sent from my Sprint Samsung Galaxy s3 running Liquid Smooth v2.7 with a 7000mah extended battery... Because I'm not a chick, a guy with dainty hands or an HTC one user :p

chasj77

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site

AT&T said Imust have a defective battery and are sending me a new (free!) one. Thank y'all who responded - chas

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
chasj77,
I seriously doubt that a new battery is going to solve your problems. You could follow the guidance from post #3 and provide us with some real data to go on to try to help you, or you could take Chaos's suggestion and replace the stock battery with that 7000 maH behemoth and just forget about battery woes.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk 4

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
chasj77,
I seriously doubt that a new battery is going to solve your problems. You could follow the guidance from post #3 and provide us with some real data to go on to try to help you, or you could take Chaos's suggestion and replace the stock battery with that 7000 maH behemoth and just forget about battery woes.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk 4

Exactly, i just don't understand why people ask about how to save battery and stuff like that, just get a bigger battery and use your phone as much as you like without having to worry about charging it

Sent from my Sprint Samsung Galaxy s3 running Liquid Smooth v2.7 with a 7000mah extended battery... Because I'm not a chick, a guy with dainty hands or an HTC one user :p

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
This is what a real battery is capable of. Lasts all day and then some. Mostly 4g,a few hours of 3g,few minutes of wifi, few minutes of 0 signal while traveling in a dead zone, etc.

36 hours + of usage. Have all my notifications, emails synced up, got nearly 6 hours screen on time on this run. Usually get around 7-8,but having no signal, and going into a 3g only area will do that to you

And this all depends on how you use your phone. I know people who get 2+ - 3 days of usage while getting 10 hours on screen time. All depends on what you have your phone do. The point is, I'm charging my phone for the first time in a day and a half

All for the low price of 39$ with a 180 day warrantee

Attachments

• 1372138149039.jpg
    1372138149039.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 11
  • 1372138157375.jpg
    1372138157375.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 11

Kasey Bigbee

Aug 24, 2013
Visit site
I don't see why everyone is having such issues with the GS3 battery life
my first one would get about 10-15 hours on average and I just got my replacement as my first one had dead spots all over the screen and I took it off the charger yesterday around this time and i'm using the stock Samsung battery that comes from the phone!

to be exact i'm at 37% at this very moment and the phone has been running for 23 hours and 35 minutes and that's with HEAVY usage..
I have my facebook, and all other social media accounts set to sync about 6 hours of that was just dedicated to games from me or family
and my gmail is always syncing especially when I am using Chrome.....

I don't if I got lucky but i'm just trying to figure out why this one Is lasting this long.... hahaha

Dylan Mark

Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Quick question. I just got an S3 from Virgin Mobile. I've noticed the battery life isn't quite as I would have expected compared to most of the reviews I've read. The life isn't horrible, it gets me through a day as you will see from my screenshots. But I was wondering if this seems a bit low to anyone else? I've been running in power saving during idle, while when I'm using it I'm not. I also use auto-brightness. I will admit I'm on 3g, not 4 since I live in a fairly rural area. Could that be a big part of the difference? View attachment 78019 View attachment 78020

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Quick question. I just got an S3 from Virgin Mobile. I've noticed the battery life isn't quite as I would have expected compared to most of the reviews I've read. The life isn't horrible, it gets me through a day as you will see from my screenshots. But I was wondering if this seems a bit low to anyone else? I've been running in power saving during idle, while when I'm using it I'm not. I also use auto-brightness. I will admit I'm on 3g, not 4 since I live in a fairly rural area. Could that be a big part of the difference? View attachment 78019 View attachment 78020

Invalid file links.
Type can have an effect, but strength is a bigger factor. I was always under the impression that auto brightness chewed up more battery power. Reason: the sensor constantly activates, and then adjusts to ambient light. So that is two functions that are constantly changing, say for sake of discussion, every 20 seconds. That is CPU and some GPU processing in the mix as well. Try a couple days with it off. See if that helps.

From a SlimROM S3

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
3g is generally easier on battery than 4g. I don't think auto brightness, in and of itself, uses more battery. The power drain for the sensor I believe is pretty trivial. But in many situations I find that I can comfortably use the screen on a dimmer setting than auto selects, which will save some power. Golfdriver is right that signal strength is the biggest issue, along with screen on time, unless there's a problem with the device.

See this thread for more info: http://forums.androidcentral.com/samsung-galaxy-s3/278622-battery-life-tips-myths.html

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1