Camera from lock screen

martini9x

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
So I was issued an iPhone 4s by work and it has one feature that I just love and I really want it on my Galaxy S3. The feature is camera access from the lock screen.
I know what can sort of do this with the existing camera widget, but the iOS option is better in one critical way. With the iPhone it bypasses the lock screen entirely and loads the camera however on my S3 I still have to unlock the phone before I can take a picture.
You first thought may be that this is unsecure, but you don't have access to any other part of the phone while taking pictures. One you stop taking pictures of return to the lock screen. I have found this to be very handy for taking pictures of my niece.

So, the question is: is there an app or method that will let me access the camera on the S3 without unlocking the phone that doesn?t involve disabling the lock screen?

Posted via Android Central App

tat21985

Oct 26, 2012
Visit site
So I was issued an iPhone 4s by work and it has one feature that I just love and I really want it on my Galaxy S3. The feature is camera access from the lock screen.
I know what can sort of do this with the existing camera widget, but the iOS option is better in one critical way. With the iPhone it bypasses the lock screen entirely and loads the camera however on my S3 I still have to unlock the phone before I can take a picture.
You first thought may be that this is unsecure, but you don't have access to any other part of the phone while taking pictures. One you stop taking pictures of return to the lock screen. I have found this to be very handy for taking pictures of my niece.

So, the question is: is there an app or method that will let me access the camera on the S3 without unlocking the phone that doesn?t involve disabling the lock screen?

Posted via Android Central App

You can set up instant camera access with the swipe lock screen, but I believe it's the only lock screen that allows this option..

EDIT: Just found out you can add a swipe lock to precede the pattern lock screen, which is what I use.. With the swipe lock on, you can add the same camera shortcut, put in your pattern, and it opens straight into the camera

Last edited:

neebi007

May 6, 2013
Visit site
Depends which jb u running. If on stock rom goto setting, lock screen, select lock screen icon, add camera in icon list.
I'm using omega room v7 running jb 4.2.2 and on my lock screen I can just slide left for camera and it's on.

:*: Neebi :*:

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
...but the iOS option is better in one critical way. With the iPhone it bypasses the lock screen entirely and loads the camera however on my S3 I still have to unlock the phone before I can take a picture.
You first thought may be that this is unsecure, but you don't have access to any other part of the phone while taking pictures. One you stop taking pictures of return to the lock screen.
You have pointed out one of the key differences between iOS and Android: iOS is inherently compartmentalized, so apps don't have access to other apps or the rest of the OS, which is why the lock screen can allow you access to the camera without worrying that once you're in the camera app you'll somehow be able to access other apps or do other nasty things. Android is not set up that way, so you first have to pass the security check, because once an app is running you have access to the whole OS. This is a simplification of what's going on (and I'm neither an iOS nor Android developer, but this is what I've learned from them); you may find a 3rd party lock screen that allows limited access to certain apps without first entering a pattern/PIN/password - I just can't point you to one offhand.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk 2

tm1012013

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
You can set up instant camera access with the swipe lock screen, but I believe it's the only lock screen that allows this option..

EDIT: Just found out you can add a swipe lock to precede the pattern lock screen, which is what I use.. With the swipe lock on, you can add the same camera shortcut, put in your pattern, and it opens straight into the camera.

How are you able to do this?

AxlMyk

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
Nothing new. I have the camera icon on my lock screen. I swipe it, camera opens. No apps needed to do it.

--Tapatalk on SGS3.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
Nothing new. I have the camera icon on my lock screen. I swipe it, camera opens. No apps needed to do it.

--Tapatalk on SGS3.

But do you also have a pin, pattern or password lock set? If those are set, swiping the camera on the lock screen takes you to the pin, pattern or password lockscreen before loading the camera app. At least on my 4.1.2 ROM it does.

Weazrbmxr

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
I'm a level 2 security tech, and don't have a lock on my phone, just the swipe. How paranoid are you guys? Just add the app shortcuts to the lockscreen and swipe up to open them. I'm trained to keep everything secure, yet don't require a lock or pin on my phone, but maybe that's just me. You shouldn't be leaving your phone just lying around anyways. Jeez. And why do you require your phone to lock itself? It's the button on the side, just the one. And the S3 camera shortcut is faster than on ios, I've raced it with my coworkers, so we win!!

mssca

Sep 15, 2012
Visit site
I'm a level 2 security tech, and don't have a lock on my phone, just the swipe. How paranoid are you guys? Just add the app shortcuts to the lockscreen and swipe up to open them. I'm trained to keep everything secure, yet don't require a lock or pin on my phone, but maybe that's just me. You shouldn't be leaving your phone just lying around anyways. Jeez. And why do you require your phone to lock itself? It's the button on the side, just the one. And the S3 camera shortcut is faster than on ios, I've raced it with my coworkers, so we win!!

I understand what you are saying. But there are a lot if issues with an unlocked phone. I for example, I lock it in case I leave my phone at work or somewhere. I don't have to run down to the office to pick the phone in a hurry because it is locked and on my desk as opposed to having it unlocked so anyone can use it.

Posted using Samsung GS III

Shawn Magm

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
I have the camera icon on my lock screen. I use a PIN to unlock my screen. When I swipe the camera icon, I get keypad to enter my PIN. Once entering, the camera app launches. I wish it worked like the iPhone in that one can open the camera without unlocking.

I have the AT&T version of the SG3 running 4.1.1 stock.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Read post #4; then do your own research; then get an iPhone.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk 4

vito032

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
Not sure it you can on the s3 but you can on the s4. I just searched on YouTube.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using AC Forums mobile app

FishenFool

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
I understand what you are saying. But there are a lot if issues with an unlocked phone. I for example, I lock it in case I leave my phone at work or somewhere. I don't have to run down to the office to pick the phone in a hurry because it is locked and on my desk as opposed to having it unlocked so anyone can use it.

Posted using Samsung GS III

I have swipe for security and use Widget Locker on top of that. I have a camera shortcut on the Widget Locker screen and it goes directly to the camera. I lock individual apps that I don't want people to get into using Perfect App Protector. The advantages to leaving my phone essentially "unlocked" is that bluetooth voice dialing still works without me having to unlock the phone first.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using AC Forums mobile app

dpmertl

Jul 17, 2013
Visit site
@Weazrbmxr If you join your phone to any corporate server then security pins are required due to legal issues with emails.
@meyerweb The original question had more than enough details to help this user

eeldude

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
My phone is company issued and they require an 8-digit pin just to get into the thing! Yes...8 digits every time!
Very annoying but they are serious about keeping their data secure.

aeropic

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
My phone is company issued and they require an 8-digit pin just to get into the thing! Yes...8 digits every time!
Very annoying but they are serious about keeping their data secure.

Same problem with my phone ... I decided to develop a simple application to get access to the camera from a protected device (even a password protected one) : here is "Camera Unlock " https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...aeropic.CameraUnlockFree&hl=fr&token=B7AUxejE

try it if you wish, this version is free ! Thanks to give feedbacks

Alain

Stryker17

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
it sounds like the real problem is android's security model. i'm not sure i trust an app that does allow bypassing the PIN lock as it seems like a security hole since the apps are not compartmentalized. what would happen if i got into the camera app via some hack and then opened the gallery from inside the app and then got into email via the 'send photo to...' function. it seems like a cascade of apps could be accessed w/o entering the PIN.

Last edited:

Stryker17

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
I'm a level 7 Paladin and I keep my S3 in a +1 Mithril Case of Protection, but my employer won't allow access to our MS Exchange server if the phone is rooted or doesn't have PIN lock set. There are a lot of ways your phone can get stolen, so I have to agree with my employer that a PIN lock is a minimum security requirement.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
w8wca