Losing all all battery in less than 2.5 hours

r0z4y

May 16, 2013
Visit site
The last couple of days I have been charging my phone all the way at night, unplug it around 8-830 and then check in around 930-10 and it is at 30% battery or less. You can see from the screenshot that it just plummets and then when it levels out its only because I am on and off charging it at work the rest of the day. Is there anything that someone can think of as to why this might be happening.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2013-05-15-19-03-54.png
    Screenshot_2013-05-15-19-03-54.png
    155.3 KB · Views: 13

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
A couple of questions: What was your screen on time during this period. You can check by tapping where it says "Screen." That's probably not the issue, though.

What carrier are you on? If AT&T, see this thread: http://forums.androidcentral.com/sa...e-random-heavy-battery-drain-aka-plummet.html

It's probably too late to ask you to do more screen shots on this charge, but if you haven't recharged it do this: Tap on the graph, and do a screen capture of the screen that appears. Then go back to the above screen, tap on Screen, and capture that screen. Post both here.

Have you tried rebooting? If it's the AT&T plummet (as described in the thread I linked), a reboot will solve it, at least temporarily.

If you can't capture the screens I've asked for now, reboot, see if that resolves it. If it happens again, do those screen captures and post again.

r0z4y

May 16, 2013
Visit site
I haven't completely recharged it today since I have been out and about and haven't had time, so you can still see at least a get a glimpse of what I am dealing with. I originally thought it was something just keeping my phone awake the whole time, but the drop is too dramatic especially the initial one.

I am on AT&T. Also I have tried to reboot it. I did that yesterday. Yesterdays drop was from about 95% to 50 something percent todays went down to about 30 or lower after less than an hour and a half.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2013-05-15-23-03-40.png
    Screenshot_2013-05-15-23-03-40.png
    95.3 KB · Views: 11
  • Screenshot_2013-05-15-23-14-34.png
    Screenshot_2013-05-15-23-14-34.png
    155.6 KB · Views: 11

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
I see a couple of things. I'm going to come back to that initial plummet right after you took it off the charger, but a couple of other things first.

It looks like for most of the really steep drops in battery you have no signal at all. That will kill a battery because the phone ramps up power to the radio to max and continuously hunts for a signal. If you know you're going to be in a no signal area for an extended time, you might try switching the phone to Airplane mode and then (if you have WiFi) turning WiFi on manually.

It also looks like you're turning WiFI on and off a lot. If you have a reasonably strong WiFi signal, leave it turned on. It uses less power than cellular data (especially when there's no cellular signal at all).

The battery percentages for Android System, OS, and the apps don't look out of place, so I don't think the issue is a run-away program or process chewing up CPU. You do have a lot of Wake cycles, including one long one when there's no signal and no WiFi. That implies to me that you have an app, or multiple apps, trying to do background syncing. That uses up battery even when you have a signal, and probably makes things even worse when there's none. I'd suggest getting the app Wakelock Detector and letting it run. It will show you what is causing all that wake time. Maybe you can turn off or reduce the frequency of certain background data operations.

For general battery prolonging tips, take a look at this post: http://forums.androidcentral.com/samsung-galaxy-s3/278622-battery-life-tips-myths.html

Now then, that initial drop, in the first few minutes off charger, sure looks like the plummet discussed in the thread I linked previously. And the sudden drop about 1/4 of the way across, where the line first goes red, looks like it too. I don't have AT&T, so I don't remember everything that was discussed in that thread, but I seem to recall there was a way to turn off LTE, which resolved it for some. You might try that, at least temporarily. In any case, read through the plummet thread carefully, and see what you can come up with.

Otherwise, turn off the cellular radio when you have no signal (airplane mode), use WiFi whenever possible, minimize background syncing, and install wakelock detector to see what's going on there. Oh, one other thing: You didn't post the Screen page, but from the graph page it doesn't look like your screen on time is high, but the screen is using quite a bit of battery. You might try turning the brightness down some, if you can still view it comfortably.