[Guide] Rebooting into Recovery Mode for the Galaxy S2, S3, and Tab2.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Rachel,
Isn't there a Galaxy S2 forum? That would be a much more appropriate place for your post - I honestly have no idea what the Recovery mode steps are on that phone - they may be the same, or they may be different.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM 10.2 using Tapatalk 4

wm_hess

Sep 19, 2011
Visit site
Hi

Regarding the buttons to push, I found that I needed to press the power and volume DOWN to enter recovery mode. Power and volume UP got me into ODIN mode as mentioned above.

When it did the ODIN mode download, I just plugged it in overnight and let it do it's thing. By morning, it completed whatever it was downloading and rebooted the tablet.

When I did the recovery mode, and wiped the cache, it worked for a second or two, then said error with a dead Android robot icon. It then rebooted.

This is on a unrooted Galaxy Tab 2 10.1

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Tapatalk 4

Last edited:

Racheinderbys

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site
The heading of this thread implied that it applied to S2s as well, that is why I posted here. Will look for the S2 forum.

Power + volume down just seems to briefly flash the "Samsung Galaxy SII GT-I9100" logo then revert to the charging icon. I think the battery is dying. I've ordered a new one.

What is "rooted"?

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
The heading of this thread implied that it applied to S2s as well, that is why I posted here. Will look for the S2 forum.

Power + volume down just seems to briefly flash the "Samsung Galaxy SII GT-I9100" logo then revert to the charging icon. I think the battery is dying. I've ordered a new one.

What is "rooted"?

When I created this guide it was using the Sprint variants of the S2 and S3. I am sure the procedure is the same for all variants.
You are probably correct that the battery needs to be replaced.

From a Sprint Moto X using AC forums app

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Hi

Regarding the buttons to push, I found that I needed to press the power and volume DOWN to enter recovery mode. Power and volume UP got me into ODIN mode as mentioned above.

When it did the ODIN mode download, I just plugged it in overnight and let it do it's thing. By morning, it completed whatever it was downloading and rebooted the tablet.

When I did the recovery mode, and wiped the cache, it worked for a second or two, then said error with a dead Android robot icon. It then rebooted.

This is on a unrooted Galaxy Tab 2 10.1

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Tapatalk 4

Typically volume UP is for recovery, and DOWN is for download or ODIN mode. Not saying yours doesn't act this way, but all the Samsung devices I have tried UP takes you to recovery.

dbdsb

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
Hi,
Hi i live in hong kong.i update my phone to 4.2.2 ( Old version is Androiad version : 4.1.2
Baseband version : I9300XXELLA ) but i didnt feel that function like s4. seems some one make it similar.i dont think is leaked one.i’m not perfect to do these things. my phone very slow all app open, closed and worked very slow that’y i update but i have to back my original set up.

The problem is not i have to back my original setting so download the file from on this website. Samsung Updates | Latest News and Firmware for your Samsung Devices! after finish the rooting phone show the menu list with a blue highlighted bar same as u show the pic and down have another message in red line ( sorry i forget to write) about back up. i already take out my sd card after try again to rooting but same message. I already download also this app ClockWorkMod Recovery (CWM) and Team Win's Touch Recovery (TWRP) but didnt know much about this app and how to use it...

how to do ? should i reset my phone ? please help me out.

Thanks very much for reading.

Jema Marterosyan

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
This is your guide as to how to reboot into Recovery. I have noticed many users do not know how to do this, so I figured I would write a step by step guide with photos on how to do it.

I will be using my Tab 2 as a demonstration unit, and for screen shots as visual aids.

[TIP]Rebooting into recovery or even knowing how to use it can be very helpful. Being stuck in a boot loop, apps crashing, or just a general clearing of problems can be fixed using this method.[/TIP]

Step 1: Power down the device. Pulling the battery will work as well, especially if you are caught in a boot loop.

Step 2: Allow the device to completely shut down. Waiting until your screen is off, or just giving it a full minute or two should suffice.

Step 3a: For the Galaxy S2 and Tab 2, you will need to hold Volume Up and Power at the same time until you see the Samsung logo appear. Then release.

3b: For the Galaxy S3, you will need to hold the volume up, home, and power button at the same time until you see the Samsung logo, and then release.

Step 4: For all variants mentioned, you should now be looking at a menu list with a blue highlighted bar. Using the volume rockers will navigate through the menus, and generally power is your accept button. The S2 might have a little twist. Upon getting into recovery, you can push up, down, up to enable the back button. This also allows to use the power button as the accept button. See figure 1.

Important note: When navigating around in recovery and you select something, you may be redirected to a page with about a dozen answers. Almost all will be no with yes buried in the middle. This is to prevent accidental accepting of an option.

4b: To actually have you use this guide, you can clear your phone's cache. See figure 2. There are many cache clearing programs on Play, and while they may clear the cache as well as rebooting into recovery, this is merely an alternate method. Click power to accept.

Step 5: When completed, you can navigate back, or usually after completing any action in Recovery, Reboot Now will be highlighted at the root menu. See figure 3. This is your gate back to running Android through the User Interface. Click power to accept.

Congratulations! You have successfully entered, navigated, executed a command and rebooted all in Recovery. This is also a method to flash a ROM through a .zip file on an SD card, and a complete Factory Reset can be accomplished in this manner as well.

PLEASE HELP!!!! I accidently pressed the ADB one what do i do!!!!

SMileOfLife

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
This didn't work! Help!

I tried this on my Tab2 GT-P5110 and it gave me NO blue menu. Just automatically said Warning! then Downloading... Do not turn off target!!

What do I do?

And I don't recommend trying what is suggested above. I think I'm about to lose everything.

Help!

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Re: This didn't work! Help!

I tried this on my Tab2 GT-P5110 and it gave me NO blue menu. Just automatically said Warning! then Downloading... Do not turn off target!!

What do I do?

And I don't recommend trying what is suggested above. I think I'm about to lose everything.

Help!

Looks like this?

From a Sprint Moto X using AC forums app

Attachments

• 1383749623587.jpg
    1383749623587.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 30

Travis Gubernick

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
For the record, this worked on my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 2. Just went from 458mb of space to about 1.5 gigabytes of space, not to mention my phone is now blazing fast. Thanks for the help.

Sjanee

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site
Thanks a million, have just followed your instructions and I am hoping it works, this is the first time something made sense.

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Hi,
Hi i live in hong kong.i update my phone to 4.2.2 ( Old version is Androiad version : 4.1.2
Baseband version : I9300XXELLA ) but i didnt feel that function like s4. seems some one make it similar.i dont think is leaked one.i’m not perfect to do these things. my phone very slow all app open, closed and worked very slow that’y i update but i have to back my original set up.

The problem is not i have to back my original setting so download the file from on this website. Samsung Updates | Latest News and Firmware for your Samsung Devices! after finish the rooting phone show the menu list with a blue highlighted bar same as u show the pic and down have another message in red line ( sorry i forget to write) about back up. i already take out my sd card after try again to rooting but same message. I already download also this app ClockWorkMod Recovery (CWM) and Team Win's Touch Recovery (TWRP) but didnt know much about this app and how to use it...

how to do ? should i reset my phone ? please help me out.

Thanks very much for reading.

Welcome to the forums.
I am sorry about the late reply.
Did you manage to find a way through your problem?

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Thanks a million, have just followed your instructions and I am hoping it works, this is the first time something made sense.

Welcome to the forums.
Glad this worked.
Now that you have done this, it wouldn't be a bad idea to get in the habit of doing this once a month or so. Keeps the phone snappy.
Also something to do when you get an OTA update.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site

I just pressed and held power
And I thought the only way to get out of Download (Odin) mode was to pull the battery - thanks!

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM 10.2 using Tapatalk 4

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

And I thought the only way to get out of Download (Odin) mode was to pull the battery - thanks!

Lol...we all learn something.
I tried it on my Tab because at the time I did that post I had just flashed 4.3 JB on it, and it was pretty clean anyway. I thought, what is the worst that can happen?

nikkicleveland1

Dec 15, 2013
Visit site
I created this account just so I could say thank you!! My phone's been screwed up for a few weeks now, finally get my new one in the mail today and my old one suddenly (of course) doesn't want to turn on! I tried everything online and nothing worked. I got through about half of your instructions and it must have done some kind of magic because it turned on so I was able to get all my 4000 photos!! I can't thank you enough! :)

-Nikki

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I created this account just so I could say thank you!! My phone's been screwed up for a few weeks now, finally get my new one in the mail today and my old one suddenly (of course) doesn't want to turn on! I tried everything online and nothing worked. I got through about half of your instructions and it must have done some kind of magic because it turned on so I was able to get all my 4000 photos!! I can't thank you enough! :)

-Nikki

You are very welcome. Have you made an intro thread yet?

From a Sprint Moto X using the AC Forums app.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12