[Guide] Rebooting into Recovery Mode for the Galaxy S2, S3, and Tab2.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
so i called sprint to find out i was last running jelly bean and then downloaded an exe for that. it opened and started running, but it has been on a milimeter of green in the bar for over an hour now. Is that normal?

Like GSDer said, 15 minutes tops. Something is stuck.

The GB27 ROM is a 4.1.x. I would redownload the file and try again.

Kathy Plack

Apr 5, 2014
Visit site
I've never run an exe update before but if it's similar to loading firmware via Odin it should only take 15 minutes at the most.

When you used Odin and the file (tar or md5), what error did you receive?

Which version of Jelly Bean were you running before - 4.1.x or 4.3?
You are loading the same (or better) firmware now, yes?

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk

The message I got with the gingerbread was FAIL, not sucessful. No other message really. I think the jelly bean one is the same or better, but have no idea at all. I just got back from my day and it's still in the same place... stuck at factoryfs.img and gone no further in the green box. Now what?

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
The message I got with the gingerbread was FAIL, not sucessful. No other message really. I think the jelly bean one is the same or better, but have no idea at all. I just got back from my day and it's still in the same place... stuck at factoryfs.img and gone no further in the green box. Now what?

I would download the file again and stop in Odin and reflash start over

From a Liquid Nexus 5

Kathy Plack

Apr 5, 2014
Visit site
I'm not getting any of the JB, unrooted, no data restore, files to work either in Odin v 3.09 or in the 1.18 that pops up when you download an exe file and try and run in. It won't let me pull up any of the exe files in Odin 3.09, so I'm not sure. Should I be trying a full restore yet?

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I'm not getting any of the JB, unrooted, no data restore, files to work either in Odin v 3.09 or in the 1.18 that pops up when you download an exe file and try and run in. It won't let me pull up any of the exe files in Odin 3.09, so I'm not sure. Should I be trying a full restore yet?

Yes, I think that is the best thing to do now.

From a Sprint Moto X using AC Forums app

Kathy Plack

Apr 5, 2014
Visit site
ok, but that still is an exe file which opens in that other odin program and won't let me find it for the Odin 3.09. Every file i have downloaded and attmepted is giving me either a warning to my computer to not open it, a stuck odin process in odin 1 or a fail in odin 3. So irritating. I wish i knew the exact file i should be working on as i have looked through, and downloaded many, trying quite a few now.

EDIT: the most recent version of GA_818252_Stock_Restore.exe disappears when i try to open it, so i don't even know what that is about or where it went. it lives only as a download and will not show up anywhere else on the computer.

Last edited:

Kathy Plack

Apr 5, 2014
Visit site
nope, nothing is working. what am i doing wrong? i think i'm giving up. I'll check back in case anyone has a solution to getting data off a phone when it's frozen on startup and only will go into download mode.

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
nope, nothing is working. what am i doing wrong? i think i'm giving up. I'll check back in case anyone has a solution to getting data off a phone when it's frozen on startup and only will go into download mode.

You aren't doing anything wrong. I am not sure what to suggest next. Sorry.

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I've got to be doing something wrong... I never made any changes other than sprint updates, so i should be using the unrooted versions, not the rooted, right?

Right. Non rooted. Are you running Odin as an Administrator?

Kathy Plack

Apr 5, 2014
Visit site
Is this the image that you're trying to load Samsung Updates - Firmware Download Page

It should be the latest.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk

I was running it with Odin (I don't understand the as the administrator part... I opened Odin, selected the file for the PDA box, connected phone, saw connection, hit start and then watched for FAIL), unless it was an exe file and then it was opening and running in Odinexcuter 1.18. I don't think I had downloaded the link you sent, but one that looked in name to be VERY close. I will download it now and try and see what happens with this one.

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I was running it with Odin (I don't understand the as the administrator part... I opened Odin, selected the file for the PDA box, connected phone, saw connection, hit start and then watched for FAIL), unless it was an exe file and then it was opening and running in Odinexcuter 1.18. I don't think I had downloaded the link you sent, but one that looked in name to be VERY close. I will download it now and try and see what happens with this one.

When you go to click on Odin, right click and choose run as Administrator. I have had times where running normally (just opening), files don't flash correctly.

Kathy Plack

Apr 5, 2014
Visit site
When you go to click on Odin, right click and choose run as Administrator. I have had times where running normally (just opening), files don't flash correctly.

ok, i've open with run as admin in odin and tried again with that newest latest link which turned into KIES_HOME_SPH-D710.GB27_D710SPRLS1_1014481_REV00_user_low_ship.tar.md5 and it gave me another fail, but this time a REASON. It states can't open the serial(COM) port.

EDIT: now i've clicked start a few more times and exited and reentered the file and reconnected and I got CACHE in the top, but as it was staying at a milimeter, then my computer popped up a screen stating the the computer lost the connection to the device and I should reboot it. Then it finally FaILED again.

EDIT: tried again and I'm back to can't open the serial (COM) port. Odin says it is connected and i see the box full of color showing 0:COM there.

EDIT: uninstalled Kies and restarted computer. tried again with odin and got Complete(WRITE) Operation failed.

Last edited:

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
ok, i've open with run as admin in odin and tried again with that newest latest link which turned into KIES_HOME_SPH-D710.GB27_D710SPRLS1_1014481_REV00_user_low_ship.tar.md5 and it gave me another fail, but this time a REASON. It states can't open the serial(COM) port.

EDIT: now i've clicked start a few more times and exited and reentered the file and reconnected and I got CACHE in the top, but as it was staying at a milimeter, then my computer popped up a screen stating the the computer lost the connection to the device and I should reboot it. Then it finally FaILED again.

EDIT: tried again and I'm back to can't open the serial (COM) port. Odin says it is connected and i see the box full of color showing 0:COM there.

EDIT: uninstalled Kies and restarted computer. tried again with odin and got Complete(WRITE) Operation failed.

OK. Are you trying different ports and cables?

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site

Sorry to say but I think you're SOL. You could click in the little scrolling window where the Odin messages are shown, press 'CTRL + A' to select everything, 'CTRL + C' to copy and paste it all in your next post, but I doubt we'll learn enough to be able to solve this.

Sounds to me like a JTAG service (ex. http://mobiletechvideos.mybigcommerce.com/samsung-galaxy-s-iii-jtag-brick-repair/) is probably your only recourse, and if Odin is having write issues then the emmc (memory chips) may have a problem that even JTAG wouldn't solve. Sorry.

Kathy Plack

Apr 5, 2014
Visit site
yes, different ports,and yes, different cables. I have a new Dell laptop I'm using running windows 8. I redownloaded Samsung mobile drivers and the version Odin 3.7 just to see if there was any luck. It is a little different. I see it is trying at least. Sometimes when I plug the phone in, I see the samsung driver running in the bar on the bottom of the screen and then it disappears. I'm not sure what that means. Every time now, I get CACHE and then a milimeter of green and a stop after NAND write start. I'm going to try one more cable from my daughter's s3 this morning.

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
You are doing everything right, for whatever reason the ROM isn't flashing, and I don't know why.

From a Liquid Nexus 5

Kathy Plack

Apr 5, 2014
Visit site
<OSM> Enter CS for MD5..
<OSM> Check MD5.. Do not unplug the cable..
<OSM> Please wait..
<OSM> KIES_HOME_SPH-D710.GB27_D710SPRLS1_1014481_REV00_user_low_ship.tar.md5 is valid.
<OSM> Checking MD5 finished Sucessfully..
<OSM> Leave CS..
<ID:0/005> Added!!
<ID:0/005> Odin v.3 engine (ID:5)..
<ID:0/005> File analysis..
<ID:0/005> SetupConnection..
<ID:0/005> Initialzation..
<ID:0/005> Get PIT for mapping..
<ID:0/005> Firmware update start..
<ID:0/005> SingleDownload.
<ID:0/005> cache.img
<ID:0/005> NAND Write Start!!
<ID:0/005> Complete(Write) operation failed.
<OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 0 / failed 1)

EDIT: This time I didn't get the cache.img, I got boot.bin... is that good?

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
seniorengineerdood