[Guide] Rebooting into Recovery Mode for the Galaxy S2, S3, and Tab2.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Hello please help! My Samsung Tab 2 GT-P3100 is at endless reboot and I tried hard reset. It doesnt work. for the nth time already. It only stays on for like, 25 seconds then reboots. Should I try waiting for the download of odin?

Edited: I wonder why theres no progress bar.

Welcome to the forums. The progress bar for Odin would only show when you are writing files to the device. Does the device reboot when in recovery?

Khalilhb

Sep 2, 2016
Visit site
Hi
i just install CWM recovry to my S3 but when i tried to entre to recovry mode with holding power + voulme up + home buttons it show me sumsung logo with recovry mode then phone loop to normal mode

lizardnq

Nov 12, 2016
Visit site
I managed to reboot as suggested, only problem is now when turn on S3, I get to Samsung welcome screen, and with Sim inserted it won't let me go past the WiFi screen. Also continue messages pop up like 'Unfortunately, Google Play services has stopped', Unfortunately, Samsung account has stopped', 'Set Up wizard has stopped' etc. Then it just reverts back to the Samsung Welcome screen

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I managed to reboot as suggested, only problem is now when turn on S3, I get to Samsung welcome screen, and with Sim inserted it won't let me go past the WiFi screen. Also continue messages pop up like 'Unfortunately, Google Play services has stopped', Unfortunately, Samsung account has stopped', 'Set Up wizard has stopped' etc. Then it just reverts back to the Samsung Welcome screen
Welcome to the forums. Did you select wipe cache or data reset?

teeron

Jul 29, 2017
Visit site
Hello people :)

I have a problem with my samsung s3 mini. I was trying to root s3mini and something didnt went as it suposed to, after restart my phone stuck on screen with message:
"Firmware upgrade encountered an issue. Please select recovery mode in Kies and try again".
Phone keeps restarting every 5 seconds so it cannot be detected by Kies on my PC.

DisrendumDud3

Aug 14, 2018
Visit site
This is your guide as to how to reboot into Recovery. I have noticed many users do not know how to do this, so I figured I would write a step by step guide with photos on how to do it.

I will be using my Tab 2 as a demonstration unit, and for screen shots as visual aids.

[TIP]Rebooting into recovery or even knowing how to use it can be very helpful. Being stuck in a boot loop, apps crashing, or just a general clearing of problems can be fixed using this method.[/TIP]

Step 1: Power down the device. Pulling the battery will work as well, especially if you are caught in a boot loop.

Step 2: Allow the device to completely shut down. Waiting until your screen is off, or just giving it a full minute or two should suffice.

Step 3a: For the Galaxy S2 and Tab 2, you will need to hold Volume Up and Power at the same time until you see the Samsung logo appear. Then release.

3b: For the Galaxy S3, you will need to hold the volume up, home, and power button at the same time until you see the Samsung logo, and then release.

Step 4: For all variants mentioned, you should now be looking at a menu list with a blue highlighted bar. Using the volume rockers will navigate through the menus, and generally power is your accept button. The S2 might have a little twist. Upon getting into recovery, you can push up, down, up to enable the back button. This also allows to use the power button as the accept button. See figure 1.

Important note: When navigating around in recovery and you select something, you may be redirected to a page with about a dozen answers. Almost all will be no with yes buried in the middle. This is to prevent accidental accepting of an option.

4b: To actually have you use this guide, you can clear your phone's cache. See figure 2. There are many cache clearing programs on Play, and while they may clear the cache as well as rebooting into recovery, this is merely an alternate method. Click power to accept.

Step 5: When completed, you can navigate back, or usually after completing any action in Recovery, Reboot Now will be highlighted at the root menu. See figure 3. This is your gate back to running Android through the User Interface. Click power to accept.

Congratulations! You have successfully entered, navigated, executed a command and rebooted all in Recovery. This is also a method to flash a ROM through a .zip file on an SD card, and a complete Factory Reset can be accomplished in this manner as well.

Sup Dud3,
I tried following your guide. I worked!
Though partially. Since when did the start loop be able to override the core menu?
This left me super confused. What do you suggest I should do to fix this without replacing the phone? Replacement would be the last thing on my fix-it list :(
I know it seems most reasonable to replace such an old pile of useless machinery but last time this happened was during the Autumn last year. Sent it to my brothers school IT technicians with a note explaining what had happened. They replied if I hold down the power button and the home button it will auto-restart the phone. Tried that nothing happened, just went blank for a bit longer. I went into the core menu then it immediately threw me back into the loop, then i gave up and came here. What can I do? also whilst typing this myphone blacked out for a couple of minutes? what is wrong with the piese of crap.

DisrendumDud3

Aug 14, 2018
Visit site
Sup dud3,
My phone (S3 sorry for not specifying) is playing about, between the samsung loop screen, it became normal but now it reverted back into the welcome loop. Please help!

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Sup dud3,
My phone (S3 sorry for not specifying) is playing about, between the samsung loop screen, it became normal but now it reverted back into the welcome loop. Please help!

Sorry for the delay. Is the battery starting to swell? Sometimes, that can mimic a boot loop. The swelling creates a pivot point, and making slight shifts in the connection, not too dissimilar to pulling the battery and replacing it. To test, pull the battery, and place it on a smooth flat surface, and try to spin it. If it does, even a turn, it's swollen.

DisrendumDud3

Aug 14, 2018
Visit site
Sorry for the delay. Is the battery starting to swell? Sometimes, that can mimic a boot loop. The swelling creates a pivot point, and making slight shifts in the connection, not too dissimilar to pulling the battery and replacing it. To test, pull the battery, and place it on a smooth flat surface, and try to spin it. If it does, even a turn, it's swollen.

What if it's an XL S3 battery? it did a 270 degree-ish turn though. what's wrong with it then?

Ojo Olalekan

Dec 22, 2018
Visit site
This is your guide as to how to reboot into Recovery. I have noticed many users do not know how to do this, so I figured I would write a step by step guide with photos on how to do it.

I will be using my Tab 2 as a demonstration unit, and for screen shots as visual aids.

[TIP]Rebooting into recovery or even knowing how to use it can be very helpful. Being stuck in a boot loop, apps crashing, or just a general clearing of problems can be fixed using this method.[/TIP]

Step 1: Power down the device. Pulling the battery will work as well, especially if you are caught in a boot loop.

Step 2: Allow the device to completely shut down. Waiting until your screen is off, or just giving it a full minute or two should suffice.

Step 3a: For the Galaxy S2 and Tab 2, you will need to hold Volume Up and Power at the same time until you see the Samsung logo appear. Then release.

3b: For the Galaxy S3, you will need to hold the volume up, home, and power button at the same time until you see the Samsung logo, and then release.

Step 4: For all variants mentioned, you should now be looking at a menu list with a blue highlighted bar. Using the volume rockers will navigate through the menus, and generally power is your accept button. The S2 might have a little twist. Upon getting into recovery, you can push up, down, up to enable the back button. This also allows to use the power button as the accept button. See figure 1.

Important note: When navigating around in recovery and you select something, you may be redirected to a page with about a dozen answers. Almost all will be no with yes buried in the middle. This is to prevent accidental accepting of an option.

4b: To actually have you use this guide, you can clear your phone's cache. See figure 2. There are many cache clearing programs on Play, and while they may clear the cache as well as rebooting into recovery, this is merely an alternate method. Click power to accept.

Step 5: When completed, you can navigate back, or usually after completing any action in Recovery, Reboot Now will be highlighted at the root menu. See figure 3. This is your gate back to running Android through the User Interface. Click power to accept.

Congratulations! You have successfully entered, navigated, executed a command and rebooted all in Recovery. This is also a method to flash a ROM through a .zip file on an SD card, and a complete Factory Reset can be accomplished in this manner as well.

I have done all this still the same 😢😢😢😢😢

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1