Hello everyone. I'm a new S3 owner coming from an LG Marquee.

In my contacts i have some contacts with just an e-mail address listed in them. This is for work related things that send out pages to my texting number.

On my old phone I had one of these set to silent as I didn't need to hear it come in I just needed to see it to keep up to date on where it was when it sent out the page. It wouldn't make a noise on my old phone.

Now on the S3 setting that contact to Silent doesn't do anything. It still plays the default SMS notification sound no matter what.

Has anyone else run into this or know how to fix it? I installed to Go SMS Pro to make up for some weak spots in the stock messenger. Trying to set the indivual alert for a contact doesn't work as it only lists contacts with phone numbers in that setting window.
    05-28-2013 01:38 PM
    I'm amazed that it worked before. All messages I receive on AT&T via an email-to-sms gateway address show as from a different 141xxxxxxx number so they cant be matched to a contact--and therefore aren't groupable. Are you on Sprint? Does it show the actual senders email address? Does GO SMS id them correctly in the message list? If so maybe all you need to do is add a fake number.
    05-28-2013 07:25 PM
    Yes they show up as the email address. I tried adding a fake phone number but it still rings off because it only silences the phone number.

There has got to be a way to do this. I can't believe it's not possible.
    05-28-2013 08:22 PM
    So I switched from GO SMS to Handcent (which I always used on my old phone) and switching tones works now.

I should've stayed with what I knew! haha
    05-29-2013 10:25 AM
    Hey look at that... this contact is still going through as not silent. I have it set as silent in both Handcent and in the contact itself.

Can anyone help me??
    06-04-2013 03:29 PM
    I assume you removed GO SMS. What about the original messaging app--even with HS running it's still looking at incoming msgs unless you have disabled/frozen it. Have you checked IT to make sure notifications is set to silent? I would think you'd get double notifications if it wasn't but worth checking...

Could be a bug about overriding with "silent". Have you tried specifying a different tone? If that works you could fine/make your own "silent" alert tone to use instead of the silent keyword.

Since starting this discussion I've been playing with MMS msgs since ATT doesn't pass the sending email addrs for email-to-sms (just a 141x number) but does using the email-to-mms address. That solves my problem with not being able to group some automated msgs because of ATTs 141 thing.

In Chomp if I create a new contact it puts the sending email address in a PHONE field. It works like that but doesnt work if I move the addr to the email address field. You might try moving the contact email adrs to a phone field. Or create a new contact from Handcent and see where it puts the email address.
    Fetter likes this.
    06-04-2013 11:24 PM
    So I took your advice and checked out the stock messaging app one more time.

I promise I'm not dumb but even though notifications were unchecked the tone (though greyed out) was set. So I checked to play notifications, set that tone to silent and unchecked notifications again.

Ya that worked... lol. Thanks Judh!!
    06-05-2013 12:11 AM