Hi folks, I have recently decided to enter the 21st century and get myself a reasonably respectable smartphone to wit; my (slightly) used but still beautiful S3 GTi9305.
    Sadly it regularly outsmarts me...doesn't take much!
    To help me become the master, I've joined various forums, and I'm just wondering if this one will be very relevent to me.
    I'm in the UK, and this forum seems to be heavily centred on the US/Canadian market and the service providers active there.
    I don't know how this impacts on my situation, but my phone was originally purchased from "Everything Everywhere", an amalgamation of Tmobile and Orange.
    The phone was unlocked when first purchased and as the second owner, I now have it on a Tesco contract (O2 network).
    06-02-2013 08:49 AM
    when you post just be sure and include that info. many of your question will be answered and you may need to wait and see on others.
    06-02-2013 09:46 AM
    Thanks for that my friend, I will put that info in my sig. so that it's always there.
    One question I have at the moment is this:
    I have an iPad and having viewed my gmail messages on it, they appear on my PC as having been read.
    On my S3, I use the "Gmail" App, and mail read using this still appears as "unread" on my PC.
    My only other experience was with an i9000 Omnia, which like the iPad, flagged to the gmail servers that the messages had been read and they were then shown as such on all devices.
    Is there some setting on my S3 that needs changing?

Oops! you don't have a "Signature" facility!
    06-02-2013 10:09 AM
    First, this sub-forum: http://forums.androidcentral.com/sam...xy-siii-i9300/ is dedicated to the international version of the phone, including all the variants of the i9300. But many things are the same on all variants, and you can post here, as well.

And yes, we have a signature capability. Up at the top of this thread, under your user name, click on "Settings." One of the options you'll see is "Signature."

As for gmail, when I read something on my phone, it shows as read on my PC, using the gmail web interface. It make take a bit, until the accounts sync again, but it does update.
    06-02-2013 02:24 PM
    Thanks meyerweb, I see I'm in the wrong forum!
    This part of your reply has pointed me at the problem!!
    It make take a bit, until the accounts sync again, but it does update.
    I just found my way to the gmail settings (somehow!) and see that sync is disabled!
    I didn't change it, as last time I allowed it to sync, I ended up with several duplicate and triplicate contact entries...took me hours to merge the different bits of info to each contact, don't want to repeat that!
    Not sure now if I could find my way back to that screen!
    So many things I see but I'm scared of changing anything in case it causes unexpected effects and I can't backtrack!
    I suppose I will eventually get more confident.
    I will post in the i9300 forum in future.
    Thanks.

Edit: Created my Sig, thanks for directing me!
    Just realised why your name is familiar,
    I've been reading your excellent advice on conserving battery life!
    06-02-2013 04:38 PM