Gmail 4.5 Update

trucky

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
Has anyone tried the new Gmail app update? It moved from 4.3 to 4.5...

http://lifehacker.com/gmail-for-android-adds-new-inbox-and-slide-out-navigati-511061329

I tried it for a few hours and moved back to the previous version. Unless I was missing something it required me to hit the menu button and choose Delete in order to delete a message. The old version had the trash can at the bottom, one click less. I guess that wouldn't make much difference if you don't get many emails. There are some other cool in the upgrade so you might want to give it a whirl.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
The Google Play Store doesn't show me any update for the Gmail app (4.3.1)

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk 2

trucky

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
I think there a link to the apk in the article. Google is rolling this out in phases, as usual, so you might not see it in the Play Store right away

jrsharp70

Aug 24, 2012
Visit site
I was pissed about that too at first, since you could swipe it away in the tablet version already but not swipe to delete.

But I think the reasoning is that archiving and deleting are essentially the same thing. It's like a trash can on your computer. Except that the old mail is on Google servers instead and not cluttering up your phone.

So theoretically, it does you no harm to just archive, and you don't risk deleting something important permanently.

If google wants to pay the cost of keeping billions of unwanted emails on their servers, so be it I suppose.

Posted via Android Central App

trucky

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
True about Google providing all that free storage. Every account is limited as to total storage so that could become an issue down the road. My bigger concern, and what should maybe move higher up anyone's flagpole, is that whatever is stored is also searchable by the government. Who knows what you might say today could be construed as for or against whoever might be in office down the road. Current events show that there can no longer be any level of total trust on that area.

Not that I think my own emails fall in that category, but I value my privacy. When I delete I want it deleted.

jrsharp70

Aug 24, 2012
Visit site
True about Google providing all that free storage. Every account is limited as to total storage so that could become an issue down the road. My bigger concern, and what should maybe move higher up anyone's flagpole, is that whatever is stored is also searchable by the government. Who knows what you might say today could be construed as for or against whoever might be in office down the road. Current events show that there can no longer be any level of total trust on that area.

Not that I think my own emails fall in that category, but I value my privacy. When I delete I want it deleted.

LOL, I'm the same way... But I've realized that keeping the government from digging through your web history is like telling the Hulk that you'd really rather not hug.

Posted via Android Central App

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
I think it's a pretty good update

Sent from my Sprint Samsung Galaxy s3 with a 7000mah extended battery... Because I'm not a chick with dainty hands or an HTC one user :p

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol