Google maps battery drain issue SOLVED!

luqman24

Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
Ok so I finally found a fix for this annoying maps issue that has been draining my battery for sometime now. I'm not sure if this has been discovered already and if it has then I apologize for reposting. Anyways, here's the fix. Go to Settings then into Applications Manager then scroll down to Maps. Tap "Uninstall Updates". Once it's done going that, reinstall the latest update of Maps from the Play Store and the issue should be fixed. Let me know if this has worked for you and if not then I'm sorry it hasn't, atleast I tried :)

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Interesting--I wonder why that's the case?

I've found that turning off Location Reporting under the Google Maps Settings/Location settings can also save battery, because it prevents hundreds if not thousands of partial wake locks executed by the system in order to check your location and report it for use with Google Latitude. As far as I can tell, it doesn't impact location settings for Google Now or other location-sensitive apps.

luqman24

Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
I'm not entirely sure but I think it might not have properly removed previous updates and somehow is causing that issue. Doing this fix may have removed all previous updates saved on the phone since u first bought it and rolls back to the factory installed update of Maps.

As for the location settings, I've had them all turned off and was still experiencing battery drain with Maps, oddly. Now that it's gone I'm gonna try turning them all on and see if it'll make a difference. Will report back in a day or two with the results.

tkso

Jun 9, 2013
Visit site
Hmm. When I tried to go to Maps in Applications Manager I could not find an "Uninstall updates" option. Instead just the "force stop" and "disable" options. However upon looking up the app on Google play store long and behold there was an update available. It was surprising to me that there was no modification of an update to Maps in my notifications.

I'll see if the uodatet fixes the battery drain problem that I've constantly had. Normally the phone only gives me 5 hours of SCREEN TIME before its close to being flat. I would have expected at least 9 hours with light to medium use and maybe 5 with constantly playing games on it. Is this a fair expectation because that was how much screen time I was getting back when I had an iPhone 4.

I'm very stumped over this battery drain issue while device is active and screen is on. Does anyone know of an app that I only activates Google search and maps when they are open and then force shuts them when you exiit the app? I have a feeling the battery drain issue may be caused by the Maps and Google Search processes continually running in the background while the phone is on and the screen is active not idle.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
tkso,
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but 5 hours of screen on time (if you're using this Battery screen as your reference)uploadfromtaptalk1370790273751.jpgis all you're going to get with this phone unless you switch to an aftermarket battery.
Feel free to peruse all of the battery life threads if you have any doubts. The huge screen on this phone is the main consumer of power, unless you happen to be in an area where you constantly have a lousy signal, in which case the radios will probably be the biggest consumer of power.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk 2

luqman24

Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
Hmm. When I tried to go to Maps in Applications Manager I could not find an "Uninstall updates" option. Instead just the "force stop" and "disable" options. However upon looking up the app on Google play store long and behold there was an update available. It was surprising to me that there was no modification of an update to Maps in my notifications.

I'll see if the uodatet fixes the battery drain problem that I've constantly had. Normally the phone only gives me 5 hours of SCREEN TIME before its close to being flat. I would have expected at least 9 hours with light to medium use and maybe 5 with constantly playing games on it. Is this a fair expectation because that was how much screen time I was getting back when I had an iPhone 4.

I'm very stumped over this battery drain issue while device is active and screen is on. Does anyone know of an app that I only activates Google search and maps when they are open and then force shuts them when you exiit the app? I have a feeling the battery drain issue may be caused by the Maps and Google Search processes continually running in the background while the phone is on and the screen is active not idle.

Screen time and phone usage time are too different things. Screen time is the total time the screen is on as soon as you unplug it from the charger while phone usage is the total time the battery lasts without charging. You're very lucky that u get 5 hours of screen time as most people including myself get 4 hours or 4.5 hours at most.

However the battery usage time is the time displayed at the top when you go to Battery in the Settings. Now I get 14 hours with moderate usage with 40% brightness, everything turned off except for WiFi Vibrate and Sync, and with Screen Power Saving on in Power Saving Mode.

And also I don't have LTE yet where I live so that also saves me tons of battery life because we all know how much of a battery hog LTE is especially if the signal is weak or keeps dropping.

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

I've seen this happen many times before, where stock apps (whether they're Google or some other 3rd party preinstalled app) have an update available if you look the app up directly in Google Play, but it doesn't mention the update in the My Apps list. Once you've updated it, though, then it seems to be on Google Play's radar, and all you will be notified of all subsequent updates under My Apps. Not sure if this was phenomenon peculiar to earlier Play Store versions or earlier Android versions--I can't say for sure if it's still happening on Jellybean 4.2 with the latest Play Store.

jtaclas

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Thank you, I did this a few days ago, and after 9 hours of battery use, Maps is only at 3%. It was much, much higher prior to this fix.

Ok so I finally found a fix for this annoying maps issue that has been draining my battery for sometime now. I'm not sure if this has been discovered already and if it has then I apologize for reposting. Anyways, here's the fix. Go to Settings then into Applications Manager then scroll down to Maps. Tap "Uninstall Updates". Once it's done going that, reinstall the latest update of Maps from the Play Store and the issue should be fixed. Let me know if this has worked for you and if not then I'm sorry it hasn't, atleast I tried :)

walterkurtz

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
i noticed that google maps was 'running' when i was looking at battery performance although it is closed. is this normal? i am new to android and apologize for stupid questions...also, i uninstalled and re-installed as per this thread and maps is still closed but 'running'.

thanks!!

luqman24

Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
i noticed that google maps was 'running' when i was looking at battery performance although it is closed. is this normal? i am new to android and apologize for stupid questions...also, i uninstalled and re-installed as per this thread and maps is still closed but 'running'.

thanks!!

Make sure GPS is turned off when not in use. And also uncheck "use wireless networks" in the Location Settings in Settings, because it'll use your wifi and cell network to keep updating your location which drains the battery even more. Hope this helped.

walterkurtz

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
Make sure GPS is turned off when not in use. And also uncheck "use wireless networks" in the Location Settings in Settings, because it'll use your wifi and cell network to keep updating your location which drains the battery even more. Hope this helped.

thank you! i have installed a GPS toggle to keep an eye on it. but i did have the google wireless networks box ticked. god i hope all of these setting changes don't screw me when i actually need to use GPS...

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
Unless you're in a really bad signal area, those options shouldn't use very much data. The real problem probably lies elsewhere.

Go into maps, and tap menu / settings / location settings. Make sure Report from this device, Enable location sharing, Automatic check-ins and Check-in notifications are all unchecked. Enable location history and location reporting will use some battery, too, but not really all that much, and location reporting is pretty useful. Without it, things like weather apps will never know where you are unless you manually update them.