Okay, so here goes. I have a new Samsung galaxy s3. I have half a mind to root it. But if I do root it, would I still be eligible to get upgrades/updates from Samsung if and when they do so?

SGS3
    06-10-2013 07:31 AM
    I have half a mind to root it.
    I would listen to the other half of your mind and NOT root it unless: you have a good reason for doing so; unless you know what you're doing; and unless you're willing to void your warranty.
    To answer your question - depending on how you root your phone, you may still be able to accept OTAs from your carrier, but you run the risk of losing root if you do so (and depending on what else you do when you root, the OTA installation may be unsuccessful).
    If you load a custom Recovery (which is optional when you root, but pretty much the norm) when you root then you definitely won't be able to accept the carrier OTAs - instead, you'll have to wait for a ROM developer to release an updated ROM that includes the updates which is also rooted.

Why do you want to root your phone?
    What are you trying to do that you can't currently do?

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk 2
    06-10-2013 12:03 PM
    Was thinking of rooting mainly to get rid of bloatware. Too many useless apps taking up precious little space.

SGS3
    06-10-2013 03:15 PM
    Well, you may want to come up with another idea on how to save space. I went through and totaled up all of the apps that could even vaguely resemble bloatware, and if you removed it all from your ROM you'd only save about 275MB - even if you have only 8GB internal storage, that's not even a drop in the bucket.
    And since you can disable much (not all) of it, it doesn't even cost you any CPU cycles.
    If you're really serious about saving space you should consider an AOSP/AOKP ROM.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk 2
    Jay Raj likes this.
    06-11-2013 12:47 AM
    Was thinking of rooting mainly to get rid of bloatware. Too many useless apps taking up precious little space.

SGS3
    The International Root Society (IRS) has conferred and the decision was that "rooting mainly to get rid of bloatware" was not a valid reason to root.

No root for you.
    Jay Raj likes this.
    06-11-2013 06:42 AM