Since upgrading the OS yesterday to Android 4.1.2, I've had the following problems:

1-I get no audio or visual notifications for new mail and calendar appointments. I've checked settings for almost two hours and can not solve the problem.

2- When I was in an office this morning, there was no wifi I could use though there were a number of secure wifi networks in the area. When I tried to go online using Mobile Data (it is always enabled) it didn't connect and I don't understand why. I thought data was supposed to take over automatically when not connected via wifi.

Any advice would be helpful as I'm a novice with all this smartphone stuff. I am particularly concerned about not getting notifications. Thank you.
    06-28-2013 03:35 PM
    Try clearing cache. Boot into recovery, use the volume buttons to select the clear cache option, then press the power button to execute.

If that doesn't work, for the notifications, go into the app settings and turn notifications off, force stop the app, then restart it and turn notifications back on.

When you say you couldn't use WiFi, do you mean you couldn't see any WiFi networks, or you could see them but not connect? If the latter, have you connected to them in the past?

Did you make sure mobile data is still enabled? Try turning Airplane mode on, then back off, and see what happens.
    tabletnovice likes this.
    06-28-2013 04:34 PM
    Oh boy, this is embarrassing (well, not really).

Thinking it only dealt with incessant updates of apps, I unchecked "show notifications" for gmail just the other day via the Application manager. I had no idea it dealt with actual receipt of email notifications, and thought it only related to actual software updates to the gmail app. I unchecked Notifications. I checked it today and it's working just fine.

Hope this helps someone else.

I'm going to monitor my broadband connections more closely as I"ve not pinpointed the cause of the problem.

Thanks so much for your help!!
    06-28-2013 10:00 PM
    2- When I was in an office this morning, there was no wifi I could use though there were a number of secure wifi networks in the area. When I tried to go online using Mobile Data (it is always enabled) it didn't connect and I don't understand why. I thought data was supposed to take over automatically when not connected via wifi.
    So, it sounds like you normally keep WiFi enabled as well as Mobile Data? You're correct that if you aren't connected to a WiFi network (even if one is available), the mobile data connection should take over the task of providing a data connection.
    Which icon did you see in the Status bar? Hopefully it was the mobile data icon.
    What was the signal quality like? Just because it's showing that you have a connection doesn't mean that you have a good enough connection to do anything with. If you're unsure about what the icon is showing, go to Settings -> About phone -> Status and look at "Signal strength" this will tell you the real story. Don't forget that for dBm, a LOWER number is better (I can't tell you what the case is for asu - sorry, don't know enough).

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk 4
    tabletnovice likes this.
    06-29-2013 02:24 AM
    Just because it's showing that you have a connection doesn't mean that you have a good enough connection to do anything with.
    So does that mean my weak connection is just enough to prevent the mobile data from taking over? So that's why the data plan didn't work until I shut off WiFi? I actually saw the on icons for both wifi and mobile data in the status bar. As I type this reply, I think I may have figured out the answer to my own question.
    06-30-2013 10:12 PM
    I am using Galaxy S2 with Anroid 4.1.2 installed and can't use mobile data, i tried activating flight mode and deactivating it but still no changes, please advice
    10-09-2013 06:22 AM
    Collen,
    You haven't given us much to go on:
    - did mobile data ever work?
    - what model/carrier?
    - is this phone originally configured for this carrier or unlocked to use on it?
    - why aren't you posting this in the S2 forum?

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM 10.2 using Tapatalk 4
    10-09-2013 10:15 AM
    I'm in the same situation as some people above: I have a GS4, with 4.2.2 running (although I upgraded to 4.3, which I later learned it was in beta or something like that, and that the official release isn't here.) Anyway, when I turn off wireless and turn on mobile data, I get no notifications. Not for Gmail, not for Facebook Messanger, not for anything. Still, if I want to browse the internet, it works, so it must be some syncing problem. I tried everything: enabling the "Auto-sync" option, deselecting the "Restrict in background" option, etc.

What can I do?

Update:

I have found the problem. It had to select under the APN settings My Carrier internet, as opposed to My Carrier wap
    10-18-2013 05:18 AM