I have two galaxy S3's. One is running fine.

The other was just upgraded to OS 4.1.1 a few days ago, and its user is complaining that it's sluggish after the upgrade.

I ran Watchdog Lite (checked real time CPU) and saw that the sluggish phone has the phone process running at 20% cpu whereas the othe one has phone running at like 1%.

At first, I thought maybe having GPS on (on the offending phone) was causing it, but it isn't that.

HELP! The user is angry at me for upgrading!

Thanks,
    Mike
    06-29-2013 09:38 PM
    A reboot always helps.

Have you tried that?

Tapped from my Nexus 10.1
    06-29-2013 09:41 PM
    yes, have rebooted. I also tried killing the phone process using watchdog lite (rebooted), and that didn't help either.

It just occurred to me that the phone that is running fine is using "dialer one" and the other one is using the stock dialer. I just installed dialer one on the problem phone (and made that the default), and updated ALL apps via the play store. I will reboot when that's done.

I'll post the results.

Thanks for the reply.
    06-30-2013 05:52 AM
    Alright. Sounds like a plan.

You can also try turning off assisted dialing in the settings, as this may also be a culprit.

I would advise NOT to use task killers, as Android already has a built in one, that's more efficient than any you can find in the Play Store. You just run the risk of killing an important service, or task, that is essential to the phone running at full capacity.

For unrooted devices, I would suggest the tool Fast Reboot Pro, as it safely clears the entropy pool, and kills only the non active processes.

If you are rooted, I would suggest Seeder. It functions the same as the application above, but uses root persons permissions, so it is slightly more effective.

06-30-2013 06:26 AM
    Thanks Christopher. I'm not brave enough to root my phone, and don't run task killers as a service. That's what I like about watchdog lite pro: if you launch it, and check the box for real time cpu, you can see what's going on and kill something explicitly.

Mike
    06-30-2013 07:36 AM
    Thanks Christopher. I'm not brave enough to root my phone, and don't run task killers as a service. That's what I like about watchdog lite pro: if you launch it, and check the box for real time cpu, you can see what's going on and kill something explicitly.

Mike
    No problem at all. I enjoy helping those I can!

Are you still noticing an abnormally high usage rate for the dialer process, or has it calmed down?

06-30-2013 07:47 AM
    4.1.1 has been out for awhile, hasn't it? Seems like 4.1.2 is the current release for most carriers.
    Anyway, it's a generally accepted statement in these circles that it's a good idea to perform a Factory Reset after receiving an OTA, so you may want to consider that. Obviously the user would want to backup anything important, along with syncing data like Contacts, Calendar, etc.
    There are tons of apps that will backup various data types - two I'd recommend are:
    Helium: http://market.android.com/details?id...ikdutta.backup
    MyBackup Pro: http://market.android.com/details?id...id.MyBackupPro (there's a trial version)

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk 4
    06-30-2013 08:23 AM
    The user is not willing to wipe the phone. BTW, I just asked and the sluggish problem has been solved with dialer-one.

The user only let me ugrade to 4.1.1 because instagram video required it, otherwise it would still be running on the previous OS version.

Thx

Mike
    07-01-2013 03:15 PM