Wi-Fi Connection problems

nelswort

Jul 4, 2013
Visit site
This just started within the last few days: My S3 is flipping between Wi-Fi connection (strong signal) and/or the 4G/3G connection. My phone is 7 months old and used A LOT. Is my battery going bad? It's driving me nuts, not too mention using up most of my monthly data package when it doesn't stay on Wi-Fi (like here at home and when at work). :(

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
How quickly is it flipping? Minutes; hours;?
Does it only do this on your home WiFi connection?
Have you tried removing the WiFi connection from the phone and then setting it up again?
Are all of the other devices on your home network behaving normally?

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk 4

mssca

Sep 15, 2012
Visit site
If you have access to the router, try forcing the S3 out of the network and then goo back and reenter. I had an issue like this with my D-Link wifi router. That's how I fixed it.

The only time the battery will drain abnormally with respect to networks if you have a weak signal.

Posted using Samsung GS III

nelswort

Jul 4, 2013
Visit site
GSDer - it's flipping almost instantaneously. When I "connect" to my Wi-Fi, it stays for a few and then as soon as I use my message, email, facebook, etc., it flips over to 4G. My husband's notebook uses our home Wi-Fi connection and he's not having a problem with that OR his S3 either. My phone did an update on Monday (? I think it was) of this week and since then, I've noticed some screwy things going on; i.e., it downloaded a couple of apps I've never heard of, Flip Board, etc., and those I can't uninstall. I'm wondering now if this is related to that. I'm planning on going to my local Verizon store tomorrow when they open and have a tech look at it/explain to me what is happening. Thanks for the suggestions, I appreciate it.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Oh, just received the latest OTA from Verizon? In that case I'd suggest making a backup of anything important (call logs; SMS; syncing contacts & calendar with Google; etc.) and performing a Factory Reset (the folks at the Verizon store are probably going to ask you to do one anyway).
You could try:
Helium: http://market.android.com/details?id=com.koushikdutta.backup
or
MyBackup Pro: http://market.android.com/details?id=com.rerware.android.MyBackupPro (there's a trial version)
for your backup needs.
Also be sure to do a power off and battery pull.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk 4