Hello everyone,

This is my first time posting on these forums.

I currently work in the basement of a large building where I have no cell signal to text normally. I do have wifi though. So I would like to know what the best app is to text over wifi on a galaxy s3. I googled Whatsapp and found an article about it violating privacy for android and blackbery users by accessing your entire contact list instead of giving you the option to pick the contacts you wish to give the app access to.

So now I am a little concerned about what I might be getting into. Figured it would be best to ask for some advice and suggestions for which app is the best way to go . And anything else I should look out for. Any advice is much appreciated!

Thanks.
    07-10-2013 01:18 PM
    Probably Google Voice. You can use your real phone number as well.
    7plymaple likes this.
    07-10-2013 02:55 PM
    You could try Verizon Messenger (I haven't used it myself but it's an option).
    I do use WhatsApp, and perhaps it knows all of my contacts behind the scenes - it only shows the two contacts that I've added who also use WhatsApp.
    If you're worried about WhatsApp, or Google, or Verizon, or (your favorite data mining company goes here), or Big Brother having access to all of this information - well, it's a bit late for that now, isn't it?

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk 4
    7plymaple likes this.
    07-10-2013 06:49 PM
    Thanks for the replies. I will check out those apps. What makes me worry is not knowing if granting access to my contacts makes them voulnerable to any malware, adware or anything harmful I might pick up. Should I even be worried?

I have read a few threads about security apps and it seems like some people beleive they are not necessary if you are carefull. And i am all for keeping things simple if i can. My main concern is having some kind of spamming or hacking happen to any of my contacts. I don't download reclessly as you can probably tell. But this app business is still new to me as I am just coming from three years of using the same blackbery curve hehe.
    07-10-2013 10:19 PM
    You could use WhatsApp, Skype messaging too
    7plymaple likes this.
    07-11-2013 06:45 AM
    There's a Lot. But these are the only ones I know. As long as your Phone is Connected to Wifi and the Person you're sending the Text to, he/she will receive your text.

- Viber (Texting mainly. You can send someone else Vids, Pics)
    - WeChat (Texting and Audio Sending)
    - Voxer (Kind of like a Walkie Talkie, and texting)
    - Tango (You can send Texts, Audio Sending, You can have a Video Chat with Someone. The cool thing about this is that you can Video Chat and Play games with them)

I like tango. But I use Viber because I only prefer texting.
    7plymaple likes this.
    07-11-2013 04:58 PM
    Okay I will check those out. Thanks everyone!
    07-12-2013 08:19 PM