Navigation App missing after Google Maps Update

Mikest

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
Did a quick search and didn't see anything. I just updated Google Maps last night and now my Navigation app (little blue arrow) is completely gone. The Icon is gone and its not listed in the App Manager. I was wondering if anyone else had this? Did something go wrong or are they eliminating the Navigation App in favor of just using the standard Google Maps UI?

I'm using a AT&T Galaxy S III on Android 4.1.1 running Apex Launcher (although I can't imagine the launcher is to blame)

Tdc02

Aug 12, 2012
Visit site
Did a quick search and didn't see anything. I just updated Google Maps last night and now my Navigation app (little blue arrow) is completely gone. The Icon is gone and its not listed in the App Manager. I was wondering if anyone else had this? Did something go wrong or are they eliminating the Navigation App in favor of just using the standard Google Maps UI?

I'm using a AT&T Galaxy S3 on Android 4.1.1 running Apex Launcher (although I can't imagine the launcher is to blame)

I just notice that also on my AT & T S3. It just updated.

If you put in an address you will see a new navigation come up on the screen at the bottom, I hit start and it say " Google Maps Navigation is in beta. Use caution." And I can hit cancel or Accept to use it.

Parm Mair

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
Yes same for me I'm on the HTC ONE and when updating Google Maps, it removed both apps (Google Maps and Navigation). I had to go to play store and intall google maps. It seems like it is intergrated into one app now.

johnthehillbilly

Jun 13, 2011
Visit site
Has anyone tried the now integrated navigation ? ..... is it at least comparable to the "old" navigation ? (As far as accuracy, speed getting a location lock, etc)

.... telekinectically tapped ....

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
My Maps update came in last night and the Navigation icon is still there, but I'm on a Nexus. I'm not sure why it'd behave differently on an S3, but that's interesting.

Jim Morris

Jul 12, 2013
Visit site
The uninstall updates worked perfect, my phone is back to normal! Im Using a Samsung Nexus S with jellybean 4.1.2. This phone is the first to update to any new Android operating system.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I am using a Motorolla Droid 4 and can't see where to uninstall updates. Does anyone have a tip?

Settings > Apps > Installed Apps > (select the app) It's a box on that screen.

- - - Updated - - -

Additionally, if anyone hadn't heard there is a secondary update coming out as well that changes a couple things and adds back in a couple of features from the old app, such as offline maps.

pine

Jan 9, 2010
Visit site
Hello, I'm the developer of CarHome Ultra. Google has removed the clean navigation entry point from the new version of Google maps. Navigation itself is still there, but the clean UI that helps you find a destination is gone. If you would like to see this return, I would suggest that you use the feedback option in the Google Maps app and let Google know how you feel.

ConTejas

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
The uninstall updates worked perfect, my phone is back to normal! Im Using a Samsung Nexus S with jellybean 4.1.2. This phone is the first to update to any new Android operating system.

Then I hope you've made a typo and you're on 4.2.2. BTW all Nexi are the first to get new OS. I'm on v7.0.1 which is the newest version to add back in a visible offline maps and a "where's lattitude" in the menu that wasn't there in the first big update to 7.0.0. I still have the separate navigation icon on my N4. Weird it's not on the SGS3. As someone mentioned navigation has ALWAYS been integrated with Maps just with a separate entry point. If you don't have the blue triagle icon anymore, it's in the search bar on Maps. Or just use Google Now voice command "navigate to".

mvnog

Jul 12, 2013
Visit site
Now that the Navigation icon is gone, how do I default the addresses that are in "Contact" to navigate to the address or launch Google Maps with the address?

kg4icg

Jan 19, 2011
Visit site
Navigation is now apart of Google maps. If you select a destination, look at the bottom of the screen when it says navigate and you will recognize what comes up next.

evperry

Dec 17, 2011
Visit site
The new navigation is BUGGY......Bad update beta or not, crasshes all the time.....

Running nexus 4. I would LOVE to go back to prior version while they work this out.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
The easiest way to use navigation, for me, is through Google Now. I just say "navigate to ....address...." and away I go. Even cleaner than the separate app icon. Occasionally it won't understand everything I say, and I just type the address into gNow.

- - - Updated - - -

Navigation is now apart of Google maps. If you select a destination, look at the bottom of the screen when it says navigate and you will recognize what comes up next.

As previously stated, Navigation was ALWAYS part of Google maps.