Navigation App missing after Google Maps Update

dkhmwilliams

May 10, 2013
Visit site
I didn't realize that the Navigation app was gone until I saw this thread. I used the a Google Maps app over the weekend to get to a party and it worked well. I like the new look so no complaints here. It actually makes sense for them to integrate the two apps. I always wondered why they were separate in the first place.

sent from my Galaxy Note 2

Susan Cohen

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
I experienced the same thing. It no longer lets you either speak or type the desired location and doesn't pick up recent addresses. And when I try to enter an address, it tells me I have no network connection.

Michael Vieux

Mar 22, 2013
Visit site
Sounds like people rely on Navigation way too much and need to learn how to read and use a map again. I use directions on Google map all the time when I'm headed to some place I have never been or maybe just been there once or twice. I just like looking at the over head map better then Navigation. But to be stuck somewhere in traffic etc because it doesn't show other routes is just crazy to me. Open up the map and turn on the traffic and figure it out for yourself. It really isn't that hard. This is not bashing anybody just some advice.

You're right, I'm going to look for my paper maps right now.
I think I keep them in the same drawer as my Buggy Whips, and Blinders. :):)

They think texting while driving is dangerous,
I remember trying to keep up with a paper map, especially in a busy city with poorly marked streets.
Where are you, and which street is the turn you're looking for.
I spent an hour or more every night writing directions for the next days service calls.

I spent 30 years navigating 20 or so stops a day with a collection of map books at $25 apiece or more.
After the first day I used a GPS, I threw all the maps into the trash.

The really old maps make nice wall decorations. :)

Sent from my M470BSA

evperry

Dec 17, 2011
Visit site
+1 on this

I remember trying to keep up with a paper map, especially in a busy city with poorly marked streets.
I spent an hour or more every night writing directions for the next days service calls.

I spent 30 years navigating 20 or so stops a day with a collection of map books at $25 apiece or more.

Sent from my M470BSA

Sent from my Nexus 4 using AC Forums mobile app

4runner

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
Works fine if you enter an address and navigate directly to it. However, if you just want to see where you're at as you drive, like a Garmin, it won't do that right now.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using AC Forums mobile app

That's the feature I spoke of in my earlier post, just didn't know how to describe it. I loved that and I certainly hope that they bring it back.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

tx_tuff

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site

Sent from my M470BSA

Google maps on your phone, not paper maps LOL.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
I didn't realize that the Navigation app was gone until I saw this thread. I used the a Google Maps app over the weekend to get to a party and it worked well. I like the new look so no complaints here. It actually makes sense for them to integrate the two apps. I always wondered why they were separate in the first place.

sent from my Galaxy Note 2

Sigh. As has been said multiple times in this thread, there were never two separate apps. You could always access nav through the maps app. The Nav icon was just an alternative entry point into the Maps app.

Girlypearl

Jul 17, 2013
Visit site
My Navigation App disappeared from my Galaxy S3 as well! I am quite bummed out about this since I am going on a 5 day road trip and am leaving tomorrow....:'(

evperry

Dec 17, 2011
Visit site
My Navigation App disappeared from my Galaxy S3 as well! I am quite bummed out about this since I am going on a 5 day road trip and am leaving tomorrow....:'(

Located in maps now on non nexus phones or just Uninstall new and remove auto update

Sent from my Nexus 4 using AC Forums mobile app

lcjsnap

Jul 17, 2013
Visit site
I had the same problem. called verizon and they have been flooded with the same calls. i was told to uninstall the update and it would return the Nav button. It worked....not sure why the update took it away but you can get it back.

bigtody69

Jul 17, 2013
Visit site
If you go to your settings on your phone and click the apps button and then click on the maps then you choose uninstall update it will return your navigation back to the way it was. then you chose to not do auto updates on your navigation to prevent it from happening again.

VaxPrime

Jul 13, 2013
Visit site
Just got my first Android phone an HTC One recently and being a Widows Phone convert and I must say I started to really enjoy it. But then Suddenly without warning my Recent Nav Points just went away together with the Nav App Icon/Utility suddenly finding myself lost in a sensitive situation in an unknown area. Am I to assume this kind of fumbling is common as Google and Android is regarded as "Free" and therefore they can unilaterally chop and change while your lost somewhere in the Middle of Johannesburg or some such?

Frustrating that I?m sitting with this for 2 years I honestly hope this won't occur too often, in this particular instance it could be downright life threatening for me, does it stop phoning sometimes too?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jokomad