Navigation App missing after Google Maps Update

Johnny Cage1

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
Why do people keep complaining about Navigation being GONE?

Just enter where you want to go in the Google Maps search bar... then click the little icon of a carwith the estimated time uunderneath... and that's it! Navigation comes up and sends you were you want to go.

Am I missing something here??? I don't understand all these posts about Navigation being "missing" from the latest Google Maps.

Unfortunately no:
1. Can't turn off voice assist (annoying if you only use maps for live traffic info)
2. Can't use addresses of contacts
3. Your place on the map is a vague dot (in Navigation you're a clear arrow)
4. In Navigation, you can easily zoom out to view the entire route, or zoom in to your position with 1 push of a button. That's gone now.
5. A series of basic settings was easily accessible in Navigation. Now, you can only change settings by going into a menu and then sub-menu items,
6. The traffic colors were shown in a clear thick line on roads in Navigation. Now, they're 'subtle' colored lines. This is not ideal for a car navigation system, where you want to quickly see the status on your map instead of really having to look on the map instead of on the road.
Bottom line: if you're using Navigation (frequently) avoid this update until Google takes car navigation seriously again.

Johnny Cage1

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
Jesus Christ... THE NAVIGATION APP HAS NOT BEEN REMOVED... IT'S JUST NOW ACCESSED THRU GOOGLE MAPS. BEFORE THERE WAS AN ICON THAT WAS A SHORT CUT TO IT... BUT NOW INSTEAD OF CLICKING THE NAVIGATION ICON... CLICK GOOGLE MAPS. IT'S THE SAME THING!

I guess people react like this because.... THEY CAN'T BELIEVE GOOGLE HAS MUTILATED THE NAVIGATION FEATURE SO HORRENDOUSLY THAT THEY WANT THEIR OLD NAVIGATION BACK. THIS NEW "INTEGRATION" IS NOT THE SAME THING!

Kaliaila

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
Navigation needs to be brought back as a separate application; the two apps were integrated in a way that they shared some of the same data (the maps), but they were independent applications. The old Maps/Navigation were more of a program suite, a la MS Office; so trying to act like they were the same app is like saying that word and excel are the same application just because they are both part of MS Office.

The new maps part could be the best in the entire universe, and I still would never use them because it lacks the Navigation app.

And to the person who suggested posting a review to the Google Maps app; well I will get right on that as soon as Google removes the stupid requirement of having to use the junk that is Google+ to comment on apps which are in the marketplace.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Navigation needs to be brought back as a separate application; the two apps were integrated in a way that they shared some of the same data (the maps), but they were independent applications. The old Maps/Navigation were more of a program suite, a la MS Office; so trying to act like they were the same app is like saying that word and excel are the same application just because they are both part of MS Office.

The new maps part could be the best in the entire universe, and I still would never use them because it lacks the Navigation app.

And to the person who suggested posting a review to the Google Maps app; well I will get right on that as soon as Google removes the stupid requirement of having to use the junk that is Google+ to comment on apps which are in the marketplace.

I think what they mean by they are the same app is that they are both part of the Map's application. In the Play Store, there never was a Navigation app that was receiving separate updates, or that was downloadable independent of Maps. It's better to think of it maybe as an add-on to the Map's application, but you couldn't download one without the other and Navigation was only updated via the Map's application. Downloading the APK for Maps included Navigation by default. Rather than the Excel vs Word it's more like Excel and Office. You download office, it comes with Excel. You update Office, that updates Excel, etc.

Kilroy13

Banned
Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
I'm a truck driver and use maps daily! I love the new setup, it is faster than the old way! Instead of whining learn how to use it! Google offers this service for free and if you choose not to use it, I'm sure they don't really care! You are only entitled to what they give you, nothing more!

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk 2

Lauralane

Jul 21, 2013
Visit site
Thank you for your suggestion. Worked exactly like you described. I really appreciate having the factory navigation version back with the blue arrow icon. :)

Sylvia Tolan

Jul 21, 2013
Visit site
There's a tab on left side of screen. Couldn't find alternte route. Then discovered you just touch map and it will reroute the map. It'll take a while to get used to.

crester

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
There's a tab on left side of screen. Couldn't find alternte route. Then discovered you just touch map and it will reroute the map. It'll take a while to get used to.

I'm glad to see somebody recognize that they just need to learn the updated maps instead of complain online about it.

And you can most definitely see traffic conditions and estimated times of arrival on Maps 7.

El Smith

Jul 21, 2013
Visit site
Mine disappeared as well. It really pisses me off because I'm a road tripper and I depend on that app. Is there another navigation anyone can recommend? I of course prefer one with sound that tells me when to turn.

Thanks all!

Nigel Coxon

Jul 21, 2013
Visit site
Also had this happen to me, thanks for the uninstall updates advice which worked fine.

Not only do I not like the new UI, but the "new" navigation system was unable to find my GPS location so never got off the first screen. Went back to Navigator and it found my location immediately.

Michael Vieux

Mar 22, 2013
Visit site
Unfortunately no:
1. Can't turn off voice assist (annoying if you only use maps for live traffic info)
3. Your place on the map is a vague dot (in Navigation you're a clear arrow)
4. In Navigation, you can easily zoom out to view the entire route, or zoom in to your position with 1 push of a button. That's gone now.
5. A series of basic settings was easily accessible in Navigation. Now, you can only change settings by going into a menu and then sub-menu items,
6. The traffic colors were shown in a clear thick line on roads in Navigation. Now, they're 'subtle' colored lines. This is not ideal for a car navigation system, where you want to quickly see the status on your map instead of really having to look on the map instead of on the road.
Bottom line: if you're using Navigation (frequently) avoid this update until Google takes car navigation seriously again.

Voice assist can be turned off in navigation mode, by tapping the three dots in the lower right corner.
And choosing, "Mute Voice Assist"

By tapping the X on the other side, the bottom bar cycles through different views.

I agree about the colors of the map and text, they kinda lost sight of what a navigation program is used for.

Sent from my M470BSA

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Mine disappeared as well. It really pisses me off because I'm a road tripper and I depend on that app. Is there another navigation anyone can recommend? I of course prefer one with sound that tells me when to turn.

Thanks all!

It's all still in the Map's app, there just isn't a shortcut icon for Navigation now. You can get there by putting the address in search in Maps or though Google now.

charlier180

Jul 7, 2010
Visit site
Unfortunately no:

So, if this is true, then Google removed a very useful feature IMHO. WTF were they thinking?

It is one thing to "learn" something new when a App is changed. It is something totally different when a feature or function is removed for NO GOOD REASON and the App CRASHES every time a function is used.

Give me 5 minutes in a room with the developer who did this and the Google CEO.
A few hard slaps upside there heads may not knock some sense into them but I will certainly feel better. ;) :)

Like I said in a previous post I uninstalled this update and went back to the prior version so I have the features I want and an App that DOES NOT CRASH like the new one does.
I can work with that until Google wakes up and fixes this APP and puts back the features/functions they removed. Will not hold my breath for this to happen since some big companies could care less what their customer's think or want.

Michael Vieux

Mar 22, 2013
Visit site
So, if this is true, then Google removed a very useful feature IMHO. WTF were they thinking?

It is one thing to "learn" something new when a App is changed. It is something totally different when a feature or function is removed for NO GOOD REASON and the App CRASHES every time a function is used.

Give me 5 minutes in a room with the developer who did this and the Google CEO.
A few hard slaps upside there heads may not knock some sense into them but I will certainly feel better. ;) :)

Like I said in a previous post I uninstalled this update and went back to the prior version so I have the features I want and an App that DOES NOT CRASH like the new one does.
I can work with that until Google wakes up and fixes this APP and puts back the features/functions they removed. Will not hold my breath for this to happen since some big companies could care less what their customer's think or want.

The new version works just like the old with contacts.
Tap the person's address and it's inserted into the map search bar.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using AC Forums mobile app

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463