Navigation App missing after Google Maps Update

tx_tuff

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
Just got my first Android phone an HTC One recently and being a Widows Phone convert and I must say I started to really enjoy it. But then Suddenly without warning my Recent Nav Points just went away together with the Nav App Icon/Utility suddenly finding myself lost in a sensitive situation in an unknown area. Am I to assume this kind of fumbling is common as Google and Android is regarded as "Free" and therefore they can unilaterally chop and change while your lost somewhere in the Middle of Johannesburg or some such?

Frustrating that I?m sitting with this for 2 years I honestly hope this won't occur too often, in this particular instance it could be downright life threatening for me, does it stop phoning sometimes too?

It's called Google Maps, if you can't use it to figure out where you are or how to get out of there then you need to learn.

VaxPrime

Jul 13, 2013
Visit site
Stating the obvious, the question however is how often do you need to re-figure out stuff because of a change in the consistency of the product.

evperry

Dec 17, 2011
Visit site
Stating the obvious, the question however is how often do you need to re-figure out stuff because of a change in the consistency of the product.

It's rare.

They seem to always be updating products to improve. It's a good thing for the most part.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using AC Forums mobile app

tx_tuff

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site

As stated many times above Navigation still works, just looks different. Not trying to sound like an A but it really shouldn't have been to hard to figure it out on the spot. As soon as you pull up Google Maps there is the search bar and on it a directions icon. I never use Navigation but just now went to maps, put in McDonalds in the search bar (first thing I could think of) and it gave me 3 different routes to use and the Navigation arrow with start under it.

I don't know anything about Windows phones. Do they have their own mapping system? With Navigation? Google changes/updates apps from time to time just like every other app in every other smart phone OS. So rather you use Android, Windows, iOS etc... you will come across these kind of problems from time to time.

msstace

Jul 18, 2013
Visit site
Yes the exact same thing happened with my galaxy mini :( do you know to get it back because i would rather use that as its much easier to use. so not used to google maps :(

Michael Vieux

Mar 22, 2013
Visit site
I've been fooling around with the new version of Maps on my tablet, for a couple of days now.

I won't be updating the app on my S3.
It's not a matter of getting used to a new process.
The new Maps app has been written by developers that don't drive, they must bicycle or walk every where.

Most of the features of the old Maps are still there, they just require to many steps to access them, while driving.

The scenario used by tx_tuff above for finding McDonald's. Using the new version.
He tapped on the search bar,
and then Typed in McDonald's,
to get a list.

Old Maps;
tap the Local icon on bar at bottom of map,
then tap Fast Food icon,
your list pops up.
Two taps, that could be done with a quick glance at the map.

The same with zoom in out.
New Maps, (while driving) pinch zoom, or double tap, hold the last tap and slide your finger up or down.

Old Maps, glance over and tap the + - icon.

New version; while in navigation, open another app, to get back to navigation, you have to go back to the screen that has the Maps icon and tap that, or pull up the list of running tasks. And what that entails depends on your phone.

Old version; open another app, when you're through, pull down the notification bar and tap Navigation and it opens at your current location.

The more I use the new version, the more instances like those above I find.

The more I use the new Maps, the less likely I'll use it on my phone.

I realize we all use the Maps app differently.
I use it as a tool for work, and travel, and this version isn't really useful or safe to use.

If I only needed to find a coffee shop or address occasionally then it's fine.
But not for real driving and navigation.

Sent from my M470BSA

Last edited:

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
My Navigation App disappeared from my Galaxy S3 as well! I am quite bummed out about this since I am going on a 5 day road trip and am leaving tomorrow....:'(

Yes the exact same thing happened with my galaxy mini :( do you know to get it back because i would rather use that as its much easier to use. so not used to google maps :(

Does anybody actually read before posting any more? This has been answered multiple times in this thread. Go back to the beginning, read the thread, and if you still can't figure it out ask for help.

alchokem

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
If you are rooted and have Titanium Backup, you can use TB to detach just the Maps app from the Android Market and leave automatic updates turned on for everything else.

alchokem

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
You have to turn off automatic updates in your Google play store settings.

Tapatalk mofo

I complained above about the navigation under the updated Google Maps app. So I uninstalled Maps and returned the app to the factory-installed version on my Droid Razr. I got my blue Navigation arrow and old Maps back (Hooray!), but within a couple of hours, Google updated me again. I've now uninstalled and reinstalled the old version 10 times! How can I stop the updates? I can't find an option for that under System Settings/Apps/Maps. Is there another way to stop the updates?

If you are rooted and have Titanium Backup, you can use TB (TB -> Backup/Restore -> Press "Maps" -> Special Features -> Detach from Store) to detach just the Maps app from the Android Market and leave automatic updates turned on for everything else. Once you've detached the app, the Play Store will no longer suggest that updates to Maps exist or try to update Maps automatically.

Irony58

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
It's called Google Maps, if you can't use it to figure out where you are or how to get out of there then you need to learn.

I think you missed the point. When you're in a hurry, changing a big part of the user interface can be a problem. What led me to this forum was one of those instances. I was at this group meeting where I would be driving people to a location new to me. So I go up to the group leader to get the address, expecting I would just tap the blue arrow, enter the address, and go. But now I'm looking stupidly at my phone, wondering where that blue arrow went. So I go to Maps and still, try to figure out what to do, all while this busy leader is waiting. She just goes, "Mark, you really need to know how to use your phone". She was just kidding, but I had to note down the address so I could figure out Maps later and hope it still had turn-by-turn navigation.

Second, as stated by Michael Vieux, this new interface is just wrong for those who use it for driving, at least the way I use it. Sometimes I need to use the Nav while already on the road, and it's really important to use the fewest button-presses as possible. It's also important to have the buttons I do press large and easily pushed from arm's length (as on a phone docked on the dashboard). The new Nav arrow is a tiny icon on a busy screen.

sixty_four

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the thoughtful and helpful reply. I've added some comments below.

The scenario used by tx_tuff above for finding McDonald's. Using the new version.
He tapped on the search bar,
and then Typed in McDonald's,
to get a list.

Old Maps;
tap the Local icon on bar at bottom of map,
then tap Fast Food icon,
your list pops up.
Two taps, that could be done with a quick glance at the map.

Agreed. The new search workflow seems clumsier when compared to the old version. I'm going to give the new version a fair shot and see if things get easier as I become more familiar with the new system.

The same with zoom in out.
New Maps, (while driving) pinch zoom, or double tap, hold the last tap and slide your finger up or down.

Old Maps, glance over and tap the + - icon.

I didn't even know about the double-tap-hold-slide! I tried this and actually prefer this to the +/- buttons. But that's sitting at my desk, not in traffic so...

New version; while in navigation, open another app, to get back to navigation, you have to go back to the screen that has the Maps icon and tap that, or pull up the list of running tasks. And what that entails depends on your phone.

Old version; open another app, when you're through, pull down the notification bar and tap Navigation and it opens at your current location.

I don't see this behavior with my Verizon S3. IMO, this is a must-have feature and I'm glad it's still available (at least on my device)

If I only needed to find a coffee shop or address occasionally then it's fine.

My Maps usage is closer to this type of user so take my comments in that context.

sixty_four

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
Just got my first Android phone an HTC One recently and being a Widows Phone convert and I must say I started to really enjoy it. But then Suddenly without warning my Recent Nav Points just went away together with the Nav App Icon/Utility suddenly finding myself lost in a sensitive situation in an unknown area. Am I to assume this kind of fumbling is common as Google and Android is regarded as "Free" and therefore they can unilaterally chop and change while your lost somewhere in the Middle of Johannesburg or some such?

Frustrating that I?m sitting with this for 2 years I honestly hope this won't occur too often, in this particular instance it could be downright life threatening for me, does it stop phoning sometimes too?

The HTC One is a beautiful piece of hardware and Android is a wonderfully powerful mobile OS with a ton of available applications. That all said, what I think is dangerous is falling into the trap of depending on these whiz-bang gadgets in inappropriate situations - especially situations that may be dangerous. Sometimes the best course of action is to put away the smartphone and use your God-given computer to try to figure out your next, best move.

Here's an article that's worth a look: Impossible to get lost with a smartphone? We

Michael Vieux

Mar 22, 2013
Visit site
>>>> I'm going to give the new version a fair shot and see if things get easier as I become more familiar with the new system.<<<<

Yes, my intent wasn't to dissuade anyone from using the new version.
I just wanted to explain why I wasn't going to use it.

Your comment about sitting at your desk using it, appears to be the way it was developed :)
I keep saying that if the developers had left their bikes at the Starbucks and got into a car and tried to use this new version, it would have been a different product. :):):)

I'm keeping it on my tablet.
I'm going to continue to explore hidden quicker ways to do things.

Sent from my M470BSA

lighthawk

Jul 18, 2013
Visit site
Thank you for the screen shots to disable auto updates.

My big issue is that Google removed My Maps and terrain view in the 7/12 update. I uninstalled Maps on my Note 2 and those features returned, until auto update wiped them o out. Now it appears I can keep the previous version on my phone. Success!

trwrt

Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
The "navigate to ..." voice search is hit-or-miss for me, sometimes it starts navigation and sometimes it just does a google search. But, within the maps app I can tap the search bar, then tap the microphone and do the voice search there so it's not a big deal.

For all the people asking about alternate routes, once you have asked for directions to a destination you'll see a panel at the bottom that says "21 min (7.3 mi) via Main St", if you swipe that to the left it will show you an alternate route on the map, then swipe again for a second alternate. Swipe right to go back through them to the original route. Tap the blue arrow for whichever route you prefer and off you go.

trwrt

Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
Here's another trick for the people who wanted the "free driving" mode. Start Maps and tap the little crosshair thing in the bottom right to move to your current location, then tap it one more time. This will put Maps into "compass mode", so that "up" on the screen is always the direction you're facing (or driving). Then, drag down from the top of the screen towards the bottom with two fingers and it will tilt the map to give you more of a "bird's eye" view like in the navigation mode.

crester

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Why do people keep complaining about Navigation being GONE?

Just enter where you want to go in the Google Maps search bar... then click the little icon of a carwith the estimated time uunderneath... and that's it! Navigation comes up and sends you were you want to go.

Am I missing something here??? I don't understand all these posts about Navigation being "missing" from the latest Google Maps.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34